Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energia - 22% off Electricity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I had this too but I think it I smartchoice with a discount on your bill for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Furzy wrote: »
    .... interesting - I switched a couple of days ago and the rate I was quoted in my confirmation email from Bonkers was the Energia CHEEP260 rate of €13.98. I now see that the welcome email from Energia thanks me for switching to Smartchoice Electricity from Energia. It doesn't give a rate but on the Energia website the Smartchoice rate is €16.06. Energia say I'll receive a letter in a few days outlining chosen plan and tariffs so hoping it's the cheaper rate - otherwise I'll be switching back to Airtricity.

I signed over to them and got the same email. When you select `view rates` on the website it shows the standard rates. So not 13.98. I rang them and queried it but they said it should be showing the discounted rate. When you proceed with the online switch, on the last page it shows your rate as 13.98. So from my understanding the view rates table is just the standard rates.

Just one sneaky thing i noticed, when on the switchover page for the smartchoice electricity it states 50 euro cashback. But when i examined the t&c it states that you only get 50 euro cashback with dual fuel and 20 euro with electricity. Not very clear on the website.

Overall im with energia for electricity and 20% flogas discount for the gas. This works out cheaper than having energia dual fuel offer. From my research this is currently the best offer in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How much are you paying Flogas?

How much are you paying Flogas?

Charges (including VAT)
    Standing charge

24.85 cent per day

Cost per unit (kWh)

4.707 cent

I know the gas is cheaper with the combined energia but their electricity price per unit on the dual bundle is more expensive than the smart choice electricity plan on its own. When you combine the total spend for the gas and electricity bills, it works out cheaper having them on seperate suppliers than on the dual fuel bundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Do you get the 50 cashback if you switch to energia via bonkers? If not, then go to energia yourself and get 50 quid extra..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

screamer wrote: »
    Do you get the 50 cashback if you switch to energia via bonkers? If not, then go to energia yourself and get 50 quid extra..........

It seems the €50 cashback is included in the discounted rate as per this website, its the same rate quoted on bonkers.ie (13.98 cent per kwh inc vat)
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-prices

magmay wrote: »
    It seems the €50 cashback is included in the discounted rate as per this website, its the same rate quoted on bonkers.ie (13.98 cent per kwh inc vat)

Yeah got a letter yesterday stating the low unit rate and 50 euro cashback on my first bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Why is it necessary to change every year? Can you not just ring your current supplier and look for a deal?

It seems to me that energy suppliers rely on customers staying with them after the initial 12 month contract expires and the prices have gone up, are people not wise to this scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

So if you go direct to Energia you get the cashback but not if you go via bonkers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Bebop wrote: »
    Why is it necessary to change every year? Can you not just ring your current supplier and look for a deal?

It seems to me that energy suppliers rely on customers staying with them after the initial 12 month contract expires and the prices have gone up, are people not wise to this scam?

That's what I did last year, told them I was offered 40 euro cash back to switch so they offered me 50 to stay and also continued on my discounted plan. Only thing to be careful of though is cost per unit/charge where some are considerably higher than others even with discounts and can still work out more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That's what I do, never got offered cash back but always offered a reduced taste. Got 14% last March, but if oil keeps low until March would expect a better offer when my 12 months are up.

I heard back from bonkera . Energia are giving a 19% discount plus the 50€ . bonkers are giving 26%.

I heard back from bonkera . Energia are giving a 19% discount plus the 50€ . bonkers are giving 26%.

According to this http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html - Energia are giving 23% off Elec and 20% off gas and €50 cashback if you get both from them. (and use a promo code)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Ogham wrote: »
    According to this http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html - Energia are giving 23% off Elec and 20% off gas and €50 cashback if you get both from them. (and use a promo code)

Ah so you need to be with Energia for both to get the €50. I just swapped to Energia for Electricity and away from Energia to Flogas for gas because there was a few hundredth savings in both moves

This was reliant on Bonkers.ie being above board and correct

groom wrote: »
    Ah so you need to be with Energia for both to get the €50. I just swapped to Energia for Electricity and away from Energia to Flogas for gas because there was a few hundredth savings in both moves

This was reliant on Bonkers.ie being above board and correct

Its not very clear on bonkers and energia site but as i stated in previous post i signed over to energia electricty only and got welcome letter grom them saying id get 50 off my first bill. You only get the 26% by changing over online with promocode cheap260

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can and they will normally offer you a deal, but normally less of a deal then what you would get if you moved.

For instance I'm with Energia for Gas at the moment and my contract is up in two weeks time. They sent me a sort of sneaky [1] email saying my contract is up for renewal in two weeks time and because I'm such a great customer they were going to give me a loyalty discount of 13%

Now 13% is less then the 16% off discount I'm currently on and the 20% discount I'd get from moving to Flogas [2]

[1] I say "sneaky" as it makes it sound like you have to renew your contract, rather then just being able to continue with them but at an increased rate (and then optionally switch) I'm sure a lot of people renew thinking they have to or have this gas cut off.

[2] Yes, percentage off different base rate, but Flogas still works out cheaper.

So yes, you are correct, they hope that most people will sign up with them and then forget to move after a year and end up on the non discounted rate. And I'm sure it happens to most customers.

If someone doesn't have a gas connection and they switch Electricity to Energia they will also get €50 cashback . If you have a gas supply but only switch Elec to them - they say they will give just €20 cashback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I always find you get different rates when you actually ring the actual providers when compared to Bonkers.ie prices. Anyway, just got a 12mth rate on natural gas @ 4.04c (4.58c incl VAT) per unit from Flogas. Happy with that.

Just waiting on a call back from Bord Gais to match Energia's offer on the leccy now. They can't come close in terms of actual cost per unit, but i'll be happy with an immediate account € credit (which they proposed) to make up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Really? If I'd known that I would have stayed with Bord Gais. Was offered the usual 5% retention offer but they couldn't match the savings from Energia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

If someone doesn't have a gas connection and they switch Electricity to Energia they will also get €50 cashback . If you have a gas supply but only switch Elec to them - they say they will give just €20 cashback.

Will they know whether a particular address has a gas supply?

hognef wrote: »
    Will they know whether a particular address has a gas supply?

I suppose they won't know -

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

I see Electric Ireland have reduced prices and are offering €100 cash back

I signed up to the Energia dual fuel last week and on comparing the two new deals on bonkers.ie the new Electric Ireland deal comes out at the same price as Energia

Thinking of switching now to Electric Ireland

pclive wrote: »
    I see Electric Ireland have reduced prices and are offering €100 cash back

I signed up to the Energia dual fuel last week and on comparing the two new deals on bonkers.ie the new Electric Ireland deal comes out at the same price as Energia

Thinking of switching now to Electric Ireland

Can't see Electric Ireland cashback offer anywhere - are you getting mixed up with Bord Gais Energy ? (they are offering 100 cashback) .
    Bonkers prices don't include cashback -

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Can't see Electric Ireland cashback offer anywhere - are you getting mixed up with Bord Gais Energy ? (they are offering 100 cashback) .
    Bonkers prices don't include cashback -

Yes its Board Gais Energy apologies
    BGE work out at the same price and then you get €100 back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Same price as in same unit price and standing charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Furzy wrote: »
    .... interesting - I switched a couple of days ago and the rate I was quoted in my confirmation email from Bonkers was the Energia CHEEP260 rate of €13.98. I now see that the welcome email from Energia thanks me for switching to Smartchoice Electricity from Energia. It doesn't give a rate but on the Energia website the Smartchoice rate is €16.06. Energia say I'll receive a letter in a few days outlining chosen plan and tariffs so hoping it's the cheaper rate - otherwise I'll be switching back to Airtricity.

.... got a letter from Energia today. They say that the 26% discount is against their standard rate of €18.90 giving €13.98. The €16.06 is their SmartChoice rate which I imagine it will revert to after 1 year (that's when they'll send the letter telling me that I'm so special that they're giving me 15% off their standard rate!). Incidentally the email they send just after you've made the switch suggests that everything is done and dusted but this letter tells me that it will be another 14 days approx before the switch is finalised.

I'm the same, my saving is €20 extra with Energia, but when you factor in the €100 cashback, BGE is 80 cheaper.
    I started the move to Energia yesterday, but gonna change to BGE now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

All these offers popping up has made me delay switching to anyone for months and have probably lost many times over what savings I would have got had I just haggled a better deal with my current provider :o

I'm the same, my saving is €20 extra with Energia, but when you factor in the €100 cashback, BGE is 80 cheaper.
    I started the move to Energia yesterday, but gonna change to BGE now.
    BGE just credited my account with €100 along with a 5% disc. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elmoie

think i am missing something simple here. On Bonkers it says energia is 15.33 cent day, 7.35 cent night (26% discount) but BGE is 17.37 cent day, 8.60 cent night (10% discount). pclive where are you seeing the units are matching ? (i checked BGC website but rates look to be near enough to rate bonkers are showing)

• Advertisement

If you trust bonkers.ie even with the €100 cashback it appears that Energia are a slight bit cheaper
    €967.79 versus €974.03 based on 5,300 kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    I am due to move back to my apartment in February. I have no idea what providers the tenants have been using but is it easy for me to switch and go with Energia or BGE when I get back? Whoever I pick I will want them to provide both gas and electricity.

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am due to move back to my apartment in February. I have no idea what providers the tenants have been using but is it easy for me to switch and go with Energia or BGE when I get back? Whoever I pick I will want them to provide both gas and electricity.

Thanks,
    M

Easy peasy :)

dodzy wrote: »
    Easy peasy :)

Thanks.....now to decide who with!??

Thanks.....now to decide who with!??

Don't know your situation, but if you've no current allegiance to any providers, it'd be hard to see past Energia for dual-fuel for the 12mths.

dodzy wrote: »
    Don't know your situation, but if you've no current allegiance to any providers, it'd be hard to see past Energia for dual-fuel for the 12mths.

That's the exact situation I'm in mate. Was living away in France and time to head back to my own gaff and save as much money as possible!

Thanks,
    M

Not sure what amounts of energy usage you are entering or what you are seeing on bonkers - but for average usage (just rechecked a few minutes ago) Energia are €1746 and BGE are €1819 - Energia is 73 euro cheaper . This is calculated with promo code and cashback for Energia and includes BGE cashback too.

Those figures tally with these here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Energia are the cheapest (with the promo code) if you are a new customer of theirs

Not sure what amounts of energy usage you are entering or what you are seeing on bonkers - but for average usage (just rechecked a few minutes ago) Energia are €1746 and BGE are €1819 - Energia is 73 euro cheaper . This is calculated with promo code and cashback for Energia and includes BGE cashback too.

Those figures tally with these here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Energia are the cheapest (with the promo code) if you are a new customer of theirs

Where can one get this promo code for Energia??

Thanks,
    M

My usage is a lot lower than the national average, you are better off checking your bills to get an average, and putting in those figures. Energia was only €20 cheaper, so €80 more than BGE when the €100 was factored in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

If you trust bonkers.ie even with the €100 cashback it appears that Energia are a slight bit cheaper

yeah, I'm getting the same on 6000kWh - €1108 v 1128 (1228 without the cashback)

my gut instinct is to ignore the cashback and go with the cheapest rate.

• Advertisement

Where can one get this promo code for Energia??

Thanks,
    M

CHEAP392 for dual fuel and CHEAP260 for Elec - according to that link I mentioned earlier ..

( http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html )

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Do Energia require a security deposit from tenants like Airtricity do? Anyone here had to pay? I read the T&C and it says one may be required but thats not much good to me. I don't fancy shelling out €300 after switching.
    7.1 Energia may request a security deposit from you in advance of the provision of the Energy supply. During the term of supply Energia may increase an existing security deposit or request a new security deposit from you if:

(a) you don’t meet Energia’s credit criteria;
    (b) you fail to pay or are late in paying any amount due to us (including the security deposit); or
    (c) as a result of your conduct.

I pay by direct debit and have no arrears.

But that Energia price has €50 cashback on top - so it's 917.79 in year one.

But that Energia price has €50 cashback on top - so it's 917.79 in year one.

Do you get the €50 if you're only signing up to Electricity?

Do you get the €50 if you're only signing up to Electricity?

yes (if you don't have gas)

ablelocks wrote: »
    yeah, I'm getting the same on 6000kWh - €1108 v 1128 (1228 without the cashback)

my gut instinct is to ignore the cashback and go with the cheapest rate.

Dont assume.
    Check your bills with your current supplier.
    Doing bonkers it made sense for me to go dual fuel.
    When I checked the bills, it turned out I was paying Flogas less than Energia was offering me.

I need to site down again now that Bord Gais have a cashback offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Do Energia require a security deposit from tenants like Airtricity do? Anyone here had to pay? I read the T&C and it says one may be required but thats not much good to me. I don't fancy shelling out €300 after switching.

I pay by direct debit and have no arrears.

Normally a security deposit is only required if you do not agree to pay by Direct Debit.

Many people simply tick the box for "home owner" so its not an issue. Even a home owner will have to pay the €300 security deposit if they dont pay by Direct Debit.

There is no excuse for not paying by Direct Debit these days unless you have no money, in which case why would a company even want to risk taking you on as a customer, there are many Direct Debit paying customers that offer a lot less risk to avail of than scraping the bottom of the barrel and having to take on those that cannot manage, or cannot afford to manage paying for an essential utility. All the best offers are for Direct Debit online billing customers. Old school stick in the muds need not apply, they may as well continue being the cash cow for Electric Ireland paying standard rates. Hey lets not complain, its these people who pay over the odds to allow the companies to offer the wise discounted rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Dont assume.
    Check your bills with your current supplier.
    Doing bonkers it made sense for me to go dual fuel.
    When I checked the bills, it turned out I was paying Flogas less than Energia was offering me.

I need to site down again now that Bord Gais have a cashback offer.

You want to make sure you also check switcher.ie, as often there are website specific deals which the other will not show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

So I'm currently with SSE Airtricty and a week out of contract. My average Electric bi monthly bill is €95. Bonkers advise of the saving with two other providers based on current usage:
    Energia, saving €72 & BGas €42 with €100 cash back deducted from my bill.
    The standing charge is similar with both however the unit cost is different.
    Energia 13.98 BGas 16.15, all including Vat. Can anyone crunch the numbers for me and advise?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

mrtom wrote:
    So I'm currently with SSE Airtricty and a week out of contract. My average Electric bi monthly bill is €95. Bonkers advise of the saving with two other providers based on current usage: Energia, saving €72 & BGas €42 with €100 cash back deducted from my bill. The standing charge is similar with both however the unit cost is different. Energia 13.98 BGas 16.15, all including Vat. Can anyone crunch the numbers for me and advise?

low usage = grab 100 eur cashback !! discount will be of no use as its on usage and not total bill amouny...

Advertisement