Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energia - 22% off Electricity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

mrtom wrote: »
    So I'm currently with SSE Airtricty and a week out of contract. My average Electric bi monthly bill is €95. Bonkers advise of the saving with two other providers based on current usage:
    Energia, saving €72 & BGas €42 with €100 cash back deducted from my bill.
    The standing charge is similar with both however the unit cost is different.
    Energia 13.98 BGas 16.15, all including Vat. Can anyone crunch the numbers for me and advise?

The saving with Energia would be €122 - because they do €50 cashback on top . ( Still not as goodfor you as the €142 saving with BGE) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Ogham wrote: »
    The saving with Energia would be €122 - because they do €50 cashback on top . ( Still not as goodfor you as the €142 saving with BGE) .

Thanks for that info. Now I can switch with Bonkers or deal direct with BGE; any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

With Energia for last two years, didn't realise my contract was up last april. Just got onto them to ask about discounts as others seems to be better. They offered 20% discount off electricity 0.1332 ex vat / 0.1512 inc vat and 17% discount off gas 0.0429 ex vat/ 0.0487 inc vat plus one year free insurance on gas boiler and 25euro gift card. I tried to push for more but they wouldn't budge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mad m wrote: »
    With Energia for last two years, didn't realise my contract was up last april. Just got onto them to ask about discounts as others seems to be better. They offered 20% discount off electricity 0.1332 ex vat / 0.1512 inc vat and 17% discount off gas 0.0429 ex vat/ 0.0487 inc vat plus one year free insurance on gas boiler and 25euro gift card. I tried to push for more but they wouldn't budge.

What is the story with the free gas bolier insurance? Do you even have to be signed up for gas with them to get this? What is the catch?

bk wrote: »
    What is the story with the free gas bolier insurance? Do you even have to be signed up for gas with them to get this? What is the catch?

I've no idea, I was just reading over the chat transcript and noticed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey guys,
    Think I'm gonna go with Energia! Do I need to call them or is it all done online? Has anyone gone through the process recently?

Thanks,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Think I'm gonna go with Energia! Do I need to call them or is it all done online? Has anyone gone through the process recently?

Thanks,
    M

Done online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Cant see anything re energia cashback. Is the offer expired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Done online

Thanks mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Know you usage with Energia. The small print makes it very expensive.

"Rates advertised for Energia NightSaver customers apply to the first 950 day units and 633 night units per bi-monthly billing cycle. Units used above these thresholds will be charged at the rates of 20.24 cent (ex. VAT) / 22.97 cent (inc. VAT) per day unit and 9.85 cent (ex. VAT) / 11.18 cent (inc. VAT) per night unit."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Know you usage with Energia. The small print makes it very expensive.

"Rates advertised for Energia NightSaver customers apply to the first 950 day units and 633 night units per bi-monthly billing cycle. Units used above these thresholds will be charged at the rates of 20.24 cent (ex. VAT) / 22.97 cent (inc. VAT) per day unit and 9.85 cent (ex. VAT) / 11.18 cent (inc. VAT) per night unit."

How many people actually have a nightsaver meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Cape Clear wrote: »

Loads of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Loads of people.
    please quantify

please quantify

In rural areas, especially older houses, there is a huge amount of them. The vast majority of farms will have them.

A lot of people with electric heaters will also have them.

I do not know the specific number of people with the meters, but I have come across thousands of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Thinking of switching to Energia for Gas and Elec, looks like a good offer. Are there any hidden changes I am not seeing?

I am in a 2 bed apartment so energy consumption isn't huge.

Thinking of switching to Energia for Gas and Elec, looks like a good offer. Are there any hidden changes I am not seeing?

I am in a 2 bed apartment so energy consumption isn't huge.

No hidden charges. Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

3 bedroom bungalow, kids, Energia worth the switch?

Techmaster wrote: »
    3 bedroom bungalow, kids, Energia worth the switch?

You need to know you're usage/ bill and compare.
    Make sure to look at the standing charge as well.
    For me it wasn't worth switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

You need to know you're usage/ bill and compare.
    Make sure to look at the standing charge as well.
    For me it wasn't worth switching.

Who are you with?

Techmaster wrote: »
    Who are you with?

Flogas and bord gais.
    The FG retention offer I got is better than their current offer and I got a BG deal last year with no contract.
    The Standing chargescare also higher with energia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

poor folk in council houses with those awful storage heaters I think

and rich folk in big houses.

Usually there is a different tariff for people with storage heaters. They would have the standard 24 hour meter for everything in their house, and a cheaper rate for their storage heaters which would be hard wired into the walls. That is not the same as a nightsaver meter where everything in the house goes onto the lower rate at 11pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I live in a new house and it has it....in short wherever thr is no gas supply !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Stay classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

magentis wrote: »
    Stay classy.

Oh oh, the easily offended and outraged are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi. My average electricity bills are 110€ month. Im currently with EI. Is it better to switch to Energia or BGE? I think the BGE 100€ cashback is better for me or shuld i try to ring EI and see what they can offer to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

devil-80 wrote: »
    Hi. My average electricity bills are 110€ month. Im currently with EI. Is it better to switch to Energia or BGE? I think the BGE 100€ cashback is better for me or shuld i try to ring EI and see what they can offer to me?

phone them, you can only decide what call to make when you can compare what they offer you with what others are offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Well done Joan, slab to the rescue!

I recently got back onto Energia. As I'm out of contract they gave me 20% off Gas and 18% off Electricity. They were previously only giving me 17% off Electricity, I felt I could of pushed for more but went with deal. Got gas boiler breakdown insurance for a year free and a gift card voucher of 25euro to spend how I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Anyone who is currently with Energia having trouble entering their readings online? Last couple of months I've had issues, the website constantly saying it's being updated and to try later, then the bill issues before I get to enter the meter reading. Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

Thinking of switching to energia. Have people who switched actually saved anything like the advertised savings?

Currently with flogas direct debit and sse airtricity for electric with equal monthly payments on direct debits. Both are put of contract now.

Thanks

teflon wrote: »
    Thinking of switching to energia. Have people who switched actually saved anything like the advertised savings?

Currently with flogas direct debit and sse airtricity for electric with equal monthly payments on direct debits. Both are put of contract now.

Thanks

Flogas will do a deal to stay. The deal I'm on is cheaper than new customer discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Flogas will do a deal to stay. The deal I'm on is cheaper than new customer discount

What's the deal? I'm about to change from them to Energia.

What's the deal? I'm about to change from them to Energia.
    I cant remember off hand but a lot of its dependent on the plan your on and how nice you are to the CSA.

Esb give me only 8% discount so i think its time to switch.

• Advertisement

I cant remember off hand but a lot of its dependent on the plan your on and how nice you are to the CSA.

Well, too late for Flogas now - I've switched to Energia! If Flogas have offers for customers, they should put them on their site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Surely bonkers calculates standing charges as well as rate when doing the maths?

I would have though so. Can bonkers be contacted to verify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

Is it worth opting for the equal monthly payments or is that just another way for them to get you?

I have that option for electricity with airtricity but felt a bit skanked in the end.

teflon wrote: »
    Is it worth opting for the equal monthly payments or is that just another way for them to get you?

I have that option for electricity with airtricity but felt a bit skanked in the end.

Means you're not hit with a huge winter bill.

Means you're not hit with a huge winter bill.

I'm not sure of the specifics now, but when Bord Gais started doing this you had to look at the small print to see that the amount they 'levelled' over the year was actually 20% higher than your previous usage. Now, you got it back at the end of the year, but unless you had a huge jump in usage you were effectively giving them an interest free loan for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

:pac:Not Energia. I got an email from SSE today saying that I could sign up to a 'guaranteed' price for the next 12 months, ( paperless, DD) saving me €109 of the SSE 'regular tariff'. Electricity prices probably unlikely to increase anyway in the next 12 months, imo SSE are trying it on to see on to see if anyone will bite

.:pac: turns out it was SSE in UK :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

mad m wrote: »
    I recently got back onto Energia. As I'm out of contract they gave me 20% off Gas and 18% off Electricity. They were previously only giving me 17% off Electricity, I felt I could of pushed for more but went with deal. Got gas boiler breakdown insurance for a year free and a gift card voucher of 25euro to spend how I want.

Thanks for this, I just got 23% electricity and 20% gas :cool: :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mr.S wrote: »
    Switched to Energia and they where touting this 22% of deal, bills seem to be pretty much the same..

22% off their own standard non deal price, the saving for you is probably no where near 22%. Did you compare until rates when you switched?

Thanks for this, I just got 23% electricity and 20% gas :cool: :):D

Were you already with them?

yes I was. I had been out of contract a while, getting both gas and electric from them. they even backdated me to December which was a nice touch, Which means my contract started in December! quoted 14.55c for electricity and 4.69c for gas.

oh and my annual charges are €158.05 for electric and €91.80 for gas. Prices inc vat. if better can be got let me know!

Ive stayed with Electric Ireland. They offer me 15% off and 50 cashback which suits me fine.I dont like the idea of estimated bills from bord gais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Airtricity lad came around and said that they are offering a rate of 13cent/unit (can't remember exactly it was >13 and <14). I was working at the time so he said he'd call back later. Does anybody know what the story is? Just check and I'm currently paying 16.09cent/unit with Electric Ireland. Do both prices exclude VAT, or what's the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yes I was. I had been out of contract a while, getting both gas and electric from them. they even backdated me to December which was a nice touch, Which means my contract started in December! quoted 14.55c for electricity and 4.69c for gas.

oh and my annual charges are €158.05 for electric and €91.80 for gas. Prices inc vat. if better can be got let me know!

You definitely could have gotten better unfortunately! You should switch providers next December to get the best deal.

EDIT: Just reading that again, were your unit prices definitely including VAT? If I had to guess, your Unit prices are ex. VAT and your standing charges are including VAT.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    You definitely could have gotten better unfortunately! You should switch providers next December to get the best deal.

EDIT: Just reading that again, were your unit prices definitely including VAT? If I had to guess, your Unit prices are ex. VAT and your standing charges are including VAT.

Prices inc vat. If you're going to make a statement, would help if you quoted prices. I'm still in cooling off period so I can switch again if I wish! Latest bill in and prices backdated as advised. Very happy so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I looked their new prices up on https://www.energia.ie/price-plans after getting an renewal notice offering 16% Electricity and 13% Gas and gave them a ring, however they were all busy, so I agreed to a callback. Right now I have 17/16 discount.

Someone called me back and gave me exactly the same rates as in the e-mail 16/13 as offer, to which I said, I had a look online and I can see the new rates even without the new customer bonus were higher as they are 19/19.

So I said, I at least would like to get the same offer minus the new customer discount part, but somehow my English must have been bad (to my advantage). Without loosing a second she said "let me put you on hold for a minute and see if my supervisor would approve the new customer discount for you".

She came back to tell me that I can get the 23% Electricity and 20% Gas discount without a problem, the same as new customers get right now.

I was looking to improve from 16/13 to 19/19 and ended up with 23/20 in a matter of a 2 minute phone call without any effort.

So the question is now, will they raise the standard rates to make up for all of this discounts?

I like them, nice new interface online, great customer service, finally taking SEPA direct debits and easy to deal with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement