Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v France [build up thread]

1161718192022»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

rrpc wrote: »
    Was I wrong? I actually started listening but turned off when he started into Payne again.

Did he change his tune?

This is what you said:
    I'm not going over this again thanks.

Go look for the post where I quoted him verbatim.

And it wasn't anything like what you posted there.

You made a bad error and are now trying to cover for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bad rrpc, bad.
    48356-Scolding-Senior-Woman-with-The-Wooden-Spoon-Isolated-on-a-White-Background..jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

noway12345 wrote: »
    This is what you said:

You made a bad error and are now trying to cover for it.

:D

:D

Still no apology. It'll hurt your ego?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

.ak wrote: »
    Was it not that he completed training but the foot was still giving him trouble after a full session?

I stand corrected! I took it up the completely wrong way clearly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

techdiver wrote: »
    I firmly believe that only Ireland out of the top ranked countries would think like that given the recent record and the terrible form of France for a number of years.

I hope the team have more belief in themselves than the public.

There were worrying signs in the warm ups and against Italy. If we lose on Sunday it will be because we once again peaked at the wrong time between world cup cycles and have regressed. I don't believe France are any better than they were in the 6 Nations.

Even if France aren't any better than they were in the 6 Nations we only beat them by one score. The year before it was a disallowed try that saved us, wasn't it? It's too close to call.

Even if France aren't any better than they were in the 6 Nations we only beat them by one score. The year before it was a disallowed try that saved us, wasn't it? It's too close to call.

Add to that the fact that they are in camp far longer and picking from a smaller squad. Completely different from the 6N.

Add to that the fact that they are in camp far longer and picking from a smaller squad. Completely different from the 6N.

Too proud to apologise. I knew this would be the case. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Been scanning through this thread this evening ..... Lots of interesting opinions.

This is how I see it .......

The Henderson / Toner debate is subjective and I don't think will have much influence on the outcome.

Healy looks unfit ..... Either that or he's a busted flush.

No try scoring threat in the back three. Bowe not the player he was. Kearney (D) overrated.

For some reason Ireland have a problem with the middle numbers (6,7,8,9,10). The back-row are not functioning as a unit. Murray has been sloppy. Sexton is standing too deep, is becoming too predictable and consequently easier to marshal. This in turn puts pressure on the outside backs.

The team is too conservative .... And I know there is general derision for G Hook on this forum bit in this instance he is right. Can't see this team getting a positive result ..... In fact I wouldn't be surprised if France win by 10 to 15 points.

And as for Darcy, poker, blinds, rabbits & hats ..... Don't make me laugh.

I'll be cheering for you though!!!

The fact Sexton was taking the ball on the flat was crippling us against Italy, if he had dropped deeper, it may have negated their line speed somewhat, so your comment their is just wrong.

Selection is too conservative? Who should be picked that wasn't picked in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Oh dear god, do we all really need to see this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ah ..... The good ole days ......
    R on d way back;)

molloyjh wrote: »
    Oh dear god, do we all really need to see this?

:D You're embarrassed on his behalf?

f7d4e0276b68ab026935edb81d69cfceabaeb940c2ead2bf803bf159796fbc56.jpg

f7d4e0276b68ab026935edb81d69cfceabaeb940c2ead2bf803bf159796fbc56.jpg

Apology accepted, next time don't be so rash. I don't want to have to make a show of you again. :D

Apology accepted, next time don't be so rash. I don't want to have to make a show of you again. :D

Seriously?

A few pages back you ran away when challenged for misquoting me. On the same subject I might add. Get over yourself.

Seriously?

A few pages back you ran away when challenged for misquoting me. On the same subject I might add. Get over yourself.

Red face for rrpc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

stephen_n wrote: »
    The fact Sexton was taking the ball on the flat was crippling us against Italy, if he had dropped deeper, it may have negated their line speed somewhat, so your comment their is just wrong.

Selection is too conservative? Who should be picked that wasn't picked in your opinion?
    McGrath
    Henderson @ 6
    Henry @ 7
    Fits / Cave @ 13
    Zebo & Earls on the wings.

Disagree regarding Sexton .... He went deeper and deeper as the game progressed as they just ran out of ideas ..... Apart from the "up and under". Eddie Waring would have been proud ......

McGrath
    Henderson @ 6
    Henry @ 7
    Fits / Cave @ 13
    Zebo & Earls on the wings.

Disagree regarding Sexton .... He went deeper and deeper as the game progressed as they just ran out of ideas ..... Apart from the "up and under". Eddie Waring would have been proud ......

Would agree Earls should be on the wing, Zebo no he doesn't warrant selection. But playing Fitz or Cave at 13 wouldn't be any better an option than playing Earls there. Henderson isn't picked because our lineout malfunctioned both offensively and defensively against Italy, we simply can't afford that against France. If it's so easy to get the measure of Ireland playing this conservative rugby, how did we win back to back 6N going into this?

As an aside, I thought D'Arcys view of the Welsh issue with injuries, was very plausible. Did you read it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm a Munster fan, but I think Earls seems to get a case of butter fingers more than most, also he tends to knock-on a lot in contact. Can't afford to do this in the big games.

Oh and I'm for bringing in Trimble, he's exactly what we need.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm a Munster fan, but I think Earls seems to get a case of butter fingers more than most, also he tends to knock-on a lot in contact. Can't afford to do this in the big games.

Oh and I'm for bringing in Trimble, he's exactly what we need.

Trimble isn't even in the squad!

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Trimble isn't even in the squad!

Yes I bloody well know it, do you think I've been hiding under a rock since he made the headlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

stephen_n wrote: »
    Would agree Earls should be on the wing, Zebo no he doesn't warrant selection. But playing Fitz or Cave at 13 wouldn't be any better an option than playing Earls there. Henderson isn't picked because our lineout malfunctioned both offensively and defensively against Italy, we simply can't afford that against France. If it's so easy to get the measure of Ireland playing this conservative rugby, how did we win back to back 6N going into this?

As an aside, I thought D'Arcys view of the Welsh issue with injuries, was very plausible. Did you read it?
    I thought the line out went OK. In any case I'd have Henderson in place of SOB so no impact to the line out.

Why no Zebo. He's far more of a threat than Kearney .....

I did read Darcy's article ..... Not sure to be honest .... I'd be falling on the side of it was just bad luck. Saying that it's not all bad .... We are exposing some new players to the big time and so far they are proving up to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes I bloody well know it, do you think I've been hiding under a rock since he made the headlines!

Well then why bother even suggesting bringing him in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Red face for rrpc. :D

Seriously, this sort of childish bickering won't be tolerated. Take it to PM and spare the rest of us from your petty jibes.

.ak wrote: »
    Seriously, this sort of childish bickering won't be tolerated. Take it to PM and spare the rest of us from your petty jibes.

Tell that to rrpc? :confused:

Do not argue with mods on thread.

Stheno wrote: »
    Well then why bother even suggesting bringing him in?

If we bring him in tonight he'll be good to go for the QF!

If we bring him in tonight he'll be good to go for the QF!

We can't bring him in tonight unless one of the players in the squad are so badly injured they need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

Theoretical q here. How confident out of ten will we beat France on Sunday with the team selected today.
    And how would that change if Darce and BOD were the centre's....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

That's an in form darce and BOD of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

lunarhog wrote: »
    That's an in form darce

Bearded or baby faced?

I thought the line out went OK. In any case I'd have Henderson in place of SOB so no impact to the line out.

Why no Zebo. He's far more of a threat than Kearney .....

I did read Darcy's article ..... Not sure to be honest .... I'd be falling on the side of it was just bad luck. Saying that it's not all bad .... We are exposing some new players to the big time and so far they are proving up to it.

Serious bad luck though.

I don't think that Zebo is that much better than Kearney, that it would be an issue, Paynes injury probably did him no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Stheno wrote:
    We can't bring him in tonight unless one of the players in the squad are so badly injured they need to be replaced.

Fitz is pretty injury prone, they could say he sprained his ankle getting out of the shower and then jet in Trimble. Problem solved :v

I think you just need to look at the difference between our two previous wins against them. A henshaw Payne midfield allowed us to employ our power plays and we dominated the game, but the year before darce and bod struggled to contain basteraud.

How earls will fit I'm in not sure... If he can defend well (and get his head on the right side!) he'll do fine, if we can force some gaps he'll take them but I think we'll miss payne's carrying and we'll see our backrow carrying a lot more like sob did in Italy.

lunarhog wrote: »
    Theoretical q here. How confident out of ten will we beat France on Sunday with the team selected today.
    And how would that change if Darce and BOD were the centre's....

I don't think this game will be lost or won in the centre. Ireland haven't performed so far this year. We are playing very deep, our passing is terrible, the ball is pretty much out the wing before any contact at all. The team aren't looking to punch holes.

I did think they were holding back a bit, but the italian game would have been a good place to show at least a little of our hand.

I'm expecting the team to revert to type, for the France game, high balls, territory, pressure. low risk carrying yada yada.

But I do respect JS enough to think he might be able to show something...and France would certainly be the game to show it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I actually went back and watched the last time Earls played 13 against France , the drawn match in Paris in 2012. Defensively he was up against Rougerie and Fofana , he did fine. But there was a f up between himself and darce where they both charged out of the line for a loose ball but the french got it first and Fofana scored off it. Some of his trademark straightning the line and charging towards contact when better options were out wide. Never really caught out in an exposed position but would have been tested more if the french passing was more accurate. If close quarter even back then when he was lighter he was more than capable of driving players back on their arse.

Off course sunday is a totally different prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Route one through our centres tomorrow me fears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

duskyjoe wrote: »

Bowe at 13 anyone?

duskyjoe wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about our centres as far as route one is concerned, but we all know who'll target Sexton.

Bastareaud will not fare so well against Henshaw or Payne. His barrel chest and short arms should cough up a lot of ball.

I wouldn't worry about our centres as far as route one is concerned, but we all know who'll target Sexton.

Bastareaud will not fare so well against Henshaw or Payne. His barrel chest and short arms should cough up a lot of ball.

You do know Payne isn't in the squad? Earls is starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Match thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement