Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch to gas from electricity?

• 05-10-2015 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I just moved to Dublin so need some guidance here.

I use electricity to heat water (shower/sink) but I just got my bill and its over €100 even I turn it on for 2-3 hrs a day (using timer).

Looks like I need to switch to gas but have no idea if I have gas home and it will heat the water. Will the gas heat the water in tank? If so will eat heat it faster? Will turning off electricity and turning on gas heat the water?

Any help appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Gas is cheaper per unit to heat water.

Electric showers are convenient as you only pay for what you use. If you are heating an immersion and showering from water in the tank than this is more expensive.

Gas is the way to go with an electric shower for when you are not using has heating. Gas is best utilised when it is used for heating the whole house.

Other more expensive options but good in the long run would be a solar thermal heat pipe arrangement.

But you can't really talk about your issue without taking the whole heating issue of your house in. Nobody gets gas in just for a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 goksel

Thanks Stoner!

I realised today that the previous renter didnt pay gas bills so meter is locked. I will pay the fee and turn on the gas. When I have the gas at the apartment, will the gas heat the water tank? I mean, is it possible that tank can be heated by both electric and gas?

My landlord is in France so its not possible to reach him so I have to ask my questions here, sorry for that.

Im not able to attach photos here because Im a new member. But you can see the photos here I guess if you go to this address: goo.gl/1s1O2I

Btw, Im not able to install electric shower, my landlord said it needs 3 people to install it and he doesnt want to help me with that. I need to fix this asap, it started to get very cold in my apartment :) Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

"
    I realised today that the previous renter didnt pay gas bills so meter is locked. I will pay the fee and turn on the gas. When I have the gas at the apartment, will the gas heat the water tank? I mean, is it possible that tank can be heated by both electric and gas?"
    Yes it is possible to heat tank from both gas and electricity. You would not normally use both at the same time. To use gas your hot water tank must be connected to your heating circuit. It most likely is.
    You would normally use electricity in summer and gas in winter.
    Much depends on what controls are fitted to your heating system. You maybe be able to use gas exclusively if your controller has an option to select heating & hot water or hot water (only).

Thanks Cerco!

• Advertisement

goksel wrote:
    I realised today that the previous renter didnt pay gas bills so meter is locked. I will pay the fee and turn on the gas. When I have the gas at the apartment, will the gas heat the water tank? I mean, is it possible that tank can be heated by both electric and gas?

Yes it's possible and likely that the hit tank will be heated by gas and electricity.

What type of heating have you ?

Saw the picture, looks like you have had central heating, it will heat the radiators and water.

In summer when you dont need rads you might use electric heating for warm water only.

Got it, thanks again Stoner!

Advertisement