Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocking chair - worth getting one?

Options
  • 05-10-2015 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I love the idea of having one, just wondering if it's worth the expense? Also, we live in a flat, so space is at a premium.
    I could squeeze it in, but for anyone who has one - did you use it a lot with your newborn? Would you recommend getting one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

ash2008 wrote: »
    I love the idea of having one, just wondering if it's worth the expense? Also, we live in a flat, so space is at a premium.
    I could squeeze it in, but for anyone who has one - did you use it a lot with your newborn? Would you recommend getting one?

I am also milling over the idea of getting one of these. Like you ash2008 Im trying to justify the expense when there's so much other stuff to get.
    A girl at my Pilates class said it was the best thing she ever bought and was looking forward to using it for her 2nd child. Interested in others opinions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Space is at a premium here but I borrowed my sisters glider when baby was about 2 months old. Must say it is so comfortable. I have always needed to rock baby to sleep so it's perfect for that. It's also such a comfy chair to breastfeed in.
    There are loads for sale quite cheaply on adverts so you could always go that route.

Used it today hoping to settle my 4 month old before putting him in the crib. Woke up 2 hours later. The 2 of us slept the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I got one. Nice but honestly the thing spent most of the time as a clothes horse!!! Ended up selling it in the end. I ended up bringing the baby into bed with me for feeding. I have 3 kids though and mine were all great babies and sleepers and maybe if I had more difficult collicky babies I might have used it more. But to be honest, save your space and money and get a nice v shaped pillow instead. Will be used far more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Space is an issue for us too and so I don't have a nursing chair. I'm pregnant at the mo but breastfed my daughter for over 8 months on the couch, in bed etc. Would it have been more comfortable if I had a chair? Absolutely , but we managed and didn't miss it. Its a nice to have rather than a must have. But if I did have the space I'd get one in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

ash2008 wrote: »

No, a rocking chair can crush the limb of a small child or a pet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

Have I killed this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Wow ... We bought a rocking chair and we all love it . We're on child number 3 and use it all the time .

Hang on one min, I'll just pop upstairs and count children's limbs ...............

.... Yep they have them all .....

......hang on I suppose I better go check on the dogs...........

......yep they seem to have everything .

Go for it op !!!!!!!!! ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I didn't get a rocking chair as I'm terribly uncoordinated and basically fall I to them, so with a newborn in my arms I thought it a bad idea. We did get one of those bouncer chairs from ikea rather than a glider/ rocker and we found it great for rocking him to sleep, though our apartment was freezing so I never used it during the night, we had a cosleeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Why not put the money aside for one, and decide when baby is 3-4 weeks old if you actually really want/need one? You could put the research in beforehand so that - if it is really something you end up needing - you'll know straight away which one you want to get and where to buy it, and have the money there for it.

Actually the above advice could go for pretty much all baby-related equipment! :D I bought so much, and there was so little that was really necessary in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I got a chair from IKEA- space was an issue for us too and I didn't want to spend a fortune on one in case I ended up not using it. It has a wooden frame and a separate cushion to put on the frame. You can buy it in dark wood or light with a few different choices of fabric on the cushion. We went for the dark wood with the cream cushion. I can't post a link to it for some reason, but it was around €100/110 and very easy to put together.

Turns out I've used this chair many times every single day. It is very comfortable, looks well in the room and as the biggest endorsement I can give it is to say that I'd buy it again even with all the money in the world at my disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

We got a rocking chair and a regular wicker chair with arms for the nursery. Out of all of them the wicker chair in the nursery has been the best thing ever. It's super comfortable and doesn't take up a lot of space in the corner, we bottle fed and it was a good supportive chair. It was from ikea, so not expensive at all. I have a rocking chair and ya I used it but I could have totally survived without it. But if you really want one I would definitely search done deal / adverts / buy and sell I see them up for sale a good bit.

th?id=OIP.M193d0341f6e4a4209fb63e0c5b6a7682H0&w=151&h=150&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ikea.com%2fus%2fen%2fcatalog%2fproducts%2f60201680%2f&pid=1.1

One comfortable chair with arms is what you need. Good luck with your decision, it's so hard to know what you need on your first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I still use our rocking chair multiple times a day with our 8 month old. I used it in pregnancy as I had spd. It was a godsend in the early days of feeding. Moved it to the baby's room around 4 months and it's there since. We have plenty of space. I love it. Think we paid €120 in Smyth's sale for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I highly recommend a good solid chair with a high back that supports your head (and preferably has arm rests) for the nursery. We ended up using this every day for bottle feeding before bed, or for sitting with baby in our arms in the middle of the night singing/trying to settle her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Bought my glider & foot stool on Adverts for €50, it was like new & we used it right up until my son was about 2.

Advertisement