Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just let it go

Options
  • 05-10-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering how to approach this, we looked at a lovely house at the weekend, it's on a parcel of land surrounded by someone else's land, the only access is through a ROW which is quite narrow and the gates at the front are controlled by another family.

It's a bank sale, going for next to nothing.
    As we approached the house, we were met by a sign letting us know about the gates. All up the driveway (about 120m) there were signs saying don't buy my daughters/mothers house etc.
    We also had to contend with a family member who told us how the bank took the house and they are trying to buy it back, the driveway was in bits, flooded (hasn't been that bad weather for a while so you can draw your own conclusion to that)

Is there any way around this if we put an offer in or would we be left with disgruntled neighbours for the rest of time.

Or is this the way forward,build a house, don't pay it back and then buy it on the cheap when the bank sells it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The neighbors are trying to put it off in vain. The simple fact is that someone will buy it and the neighbors will let go of their grudge which is against the bank and not the people moving in.

I'd wonder about the access though as I can't see how the bank can sell a property where access could be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I think you would be left with very disgruntled neighbours for a very long time, and if you did buy, and they made your life hell then would they also cause difficulty to potential buyers if you decide to sell up?

I think what they are doing is extremely distasteful but at the end of the day that is between the bank and them. Surely e banks agent knows about these signs? Let them deal with them.

Bit I definitely would run for the hills and find somewhere else drama free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hairyslug wrote: »
    Is there any way around this if we put an offer in or would we be left with disgruntled neighbours for the rest of time.

Yes.
    Its surrounded by land owned by an unhappy third party.
    You're opening yourself to a world of unhappiness even looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Deer wrote: »
    Bit I definitely would run for the hills and find somewhere else drama free.
    This. As per the other comments, the family could just have gate problems, and/or flood the road.

Also, I'd guessing that it's being let go cheaply due to the bank wanting rid of the house, but the family not wanting to buy it as they "own" the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

IMO and from experience in a family matter, the bank wont let them buy it back.
    If its what you want go for it, the neighbours will soon forget, it might take a while, but at the end of the day its nothing to do with you, you have no loyalties to anyone.
    As harsh as it sounds, your going to give up what you believe to be a lovely house, with lovely potential, for people you don't even know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds potentially bad that. I'd look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'm wondering how to approach this, we looked at a lovely house at the weekend, it's on a parcel of land surrounded by someone else's land, the only access is through a ROW which is quite narrow and the gates at the front are controlled by another family...

I thought that it's illegal to block a right of way, fair enough that farmers may put up gates to stop cattle getting out etc, but they can't stop you from using the ROW and if they put a lock on the gate,they're supposed to give you a key also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

housetypeb wrote: »
    I thought that it's illegal to block a right of way, fair enough that farmers may put up gates to stop cattle getting out etc, but they can't stop you from using the ROW and if they put a lock on the gate,they're supposed to give you a key also.

Accidents happen...

Our family used to own a holiday house with similar type access and we had to strenuously defend it a number of times. The people who bought it off us didn't and the right of way was lost so the only access to the house was 500m of rough pathway.

The only access to your "future" house will be through the land of people who will hate your guts and go out of their way to make your life hell. Good neighbours are important and I have no idea why you would even consider for a second having antagonistic neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IN rural area,s people know their neighbours ,
    this is nothing to do with the celtic tiger .
    IF the bank evicted joe bloggs ,
    for not paying the mortgage,
    it,s gonna be hard for him to get a loan from any bank to buy the house.
    his credit rating will be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

My point was that an ROW is backed up by law,the neighbor doesn't have to like it but he does have to abide by it.
    I wouldn't let the dis-approval of a neighbor stop me from buying a house if the numbers added up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We walked away after having a chat with the woman, the laneway was made as narrow as possible and we thought that we didn't need the hassle that went with it. There was no anger directed towards us or anyone viewing.
    There was however a bid put in which had later been withdrawn leaving this families bid as highest.

I may sound heartless but I do feel that if you can't afford a massive mortgage which we were told this was (€2200 a month back when it was built) you take the hit, or maybe that's just my mind set as I'm not in that position.

Don't touch it if you plan to live there. You will be completely surrounded by bitter vindictive people who will do everything to make your life there a misery.

On the other hand if you want to buy it cheap and can rent it out to people who are meaner and badder than the prospective neighbours, then go for it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I may sound heartless but I do feel that if you can't afford a massive mortgage which we were told this was (€2200 a month back when it was built) you take the hit, or maybe that's just my mind set as I'm not in that position.

Most sane people believe this too- however, property has a completely unreal attachment in the Irish psyche....... Whether or not you can pay- doesn't seem to enter the equation- and law has tended to favour the refuseniks.

Seriously- it would be a complete head wreck were you to buy it- you don't need the hassle. Even if it were free- as in, entirely free- I'd still advise you to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

It's a bank sale, going for next to nothing.

If something is too good to be true, then usually it is. If the property is being sold for far less than expected market value then it should tell you straight away to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

I think you would be mad to consider this. We have had a nightmare time the past few years because of bad neighbours and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it really does cause a lot of stress and worry. Run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is a chance the house is built on family land and your neighbours will also be the relatives of first owner. And while they wouldn't mind a family member living there they might hate some stranger moving in. That might be even before you start considering all the other baggage.

My point was that an ROW is backed up by law,the neighbor doesn't have to like it but he does have to abide by it.

If the neighbour decides to lock the gates or block it with a vehicle, you will have endless trouble. Yes, you are in the right but enforcing that right will cost you a fortune financially and emotionally. Your legal rights are almost worthless against men of straw with contempt for the law.

(I thought I posted in this earlier but can't see it. My point then was don't touch this for living in, but you might consider it for investment if you know tenants who could face down any trouble)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I wouldn't let the dis-approval of a neighbor stop me from buying a house if the numbers added up.

See above posts from people with actual experience of rights of way in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Unless you want to be in a modern day version of the film "The Field" I would echo other posters and leave it be.
    In rural areas, even though you aren't shoulder to shoulder with your neighbours, it is always good to get on with them, who will, in turn, look out for you. It is hard enough to integrate with a rural community if you are a "blow in", never mind if you have gotten the backs up on locals before you have moved into the area. Also bear in mind if you buy the house and the neighbours turn on you, it's very difficult to leave the situation. Do you want to be forced to move out of the house or to live in the house feeling miserable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was going to say that you should see if you can get invited in for a cup of tea and chat to let them know you're interested in it and you're a decent person.

But then I re-read the part about them trying to buy it back.

At best, you could do the above, have a chat to them, get to know them, show you're decent people. Tell them you don't want to block them from buying the house, but that you love the house and if they're getting nowhere with the bank and are willing to give it up, to give you a call so you can put a bid in.

Worth a shot and you really have nothing to lose.

Though I suspect the kind of people who are this level of crazy are never going to be easy neighbours to live with and may feel like they have some kind of "right" over the land for as long as (or you) live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, good decision to walk away.

I grew up in rural North Kerry and trust me John B Keane didn't just get his inspiration regarding "The Field" from a dream.

In rural Ireland if you have your neighbours on your side they will do anything for you, get them on the wrong side and they will band together and be a bloody nightmare.

Just to be clear, I see nothing wrong in you buying that house, just think the hassle may not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I would have problems with the only access being a right of way and the possibility of those who use that driving by your house each day etc - nevermind the bad feeling towards the banks from the neighbours, the signs on the driveway etc. All adds to being a very hard house to sell and that's obviously reflected in the asking price.

As someone else said if it seems too good to be true it normally is. Someone will purchase though. However good neighbours is a blessing, having neighbours that don't cause you any problems is grand but potentially having neighbours that could make your life miserable is hell! having troublesome neighbours, that close to home can really affect you ever feeling at home - a bargain does not compensate for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I know the house you're talking about OP. The landowner of the ROW is trying to buy it back but from what the auctioneer said, they have a low bid in. Also, the garage is partially built on this persons land and has no planning permission and apparently the landowner will want it knocked if the house is bought. The ROW is a shocking swampy lane but looking back on maps over the years it was once gravelled and plenty wide so the family are obviously wanting it to appear shocking for potential buyers. The woman wouldn't even open the gates for people tondrive up to the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

If there is a clear right of way on the planning maps can the land owners really start blocking up access to your home and causing hassle? There is an electric gate but we were told they have to hand over a key fob for it.

This isn't something I've much experience with so maybe this is something that does happen. I'm probably too much of a rule follower.

I saw this house too and I think what they are doing is ridiculous. I think if was refinanced too. They are completely blaming the bank but I think they need to take some responsibility for their loans. I said this to the lady when I viewed the house. She seemed nice and probably just wants the best for her daughter but it's my taxes that are covering that reckless borrowing.

It's so off putting.We are not going to put in an offer but I'm interested in the story of what will unfold.

Advertisement