Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Mark back in Ireland M. All working fine again on chrome Android.

So must be a outside Ireland issue

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Site freezes on mobile due to ads several times a day. Using one plus two Chrome and Firefox and no issue on any other sites besides here.

Are there any ads in particular (or threads even) that you see consistently causing problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anyone else having issues with slow loading? Seems to be just on boards. Using legacy site, Chrome. I can see "waiting for http://ge0ip.org/" when it's loading. I know there's a dev tool in firefox for checking page load times etc. I'll leave that to ye :)

edit: http://ge0ip.org/ seems to be an ad content server

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

For the past while I'm getting an error on chrome browser on android
    ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Site works in incognito mode though. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure if this is the correct place:

On the new mobile site, if for instance im browsing My Forums, When I click the back button it returns to the home screen rather than "My Forums". On the Touch site this never happened. Is this a new feature ? It's kind of annoying having to go back to my forums again and again.

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

pajodublin wrote: »
    For the past while I'm getting an error on chrome browser on android
    ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Site works in incognito mode though. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks

There seems to be an issue at times with how Chrome sends requests to Boards. It's something that we're looking at, but if you find it's happening a lot then incognito mode is best.
    GBX wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct place:

On the new mobile site, if for instance im browsing My Forums, When I click the back button it returns to the home screen rather than "My Forums". On the Touch site this never happened. Is this a new feature ? It's kind of annoying having to go back to my forums again and again.

Thanks for this. Have made a note of it; can understand it's not ideal when you want to skim through the forums that you've gone to the effort of following.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Embedded YouTube videos aren't working on the touch site. The box is just displaying 'An error occurred' text.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Every post I make I am automagically following that thread, any ideas why this is?

Have I changed a setting somewhere?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Every post I make I am automagically following that thread, any ideas why this is?

I always thought that that was the default setting, you would like the be alerted to a response after all, wouldn’t you?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fieldog wrote: »

As far as I know, that's the default option, but if you want to change it you have to go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions and in the 'Messaging & Notification' you can amend the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' to 'Do Not Follow'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

New Home wrote: »
    As far as I know, that's the default option, but if you want to change it you have to go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions and in the 'Messaging & Notification' you can amend the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' to 'Do Not Follow'.

I did change a setting to try get email on a certain followed thread, that's probably what did it, back to normal now, thanks... :)

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Embedded YouTube videos aren't working on the touch site. The box is just displaying 'An error occurred' text.

Also PM notification isn't appearing, can't thank posts, or can't switch between the touch and full site.

Also PM notification isn't appearing, can't thank posts, or can't switch between the touch and full site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

And double postings are back again ;)

Boards.ie Employee

Both working fine for me this morning. Can you check again and see if it is the case? If these issues are still happening, can you let me know your browser and OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Site freezes on mobile due to ads several times a day. Using one plus two Chrome and Firefox and no issue on any other sites besides here.

I'm getting freezes near constantly - with the last few days in particular being notably dire - using firefox & legacy site (from the UK); even writing this is like I'm on a VPN using a 14.4k modem.

Seriously lads, it's fvcking unusable. It freezes my browser, CPU usage spikes like it's going out of fashion and will happy sit there for a minute at a time deciding what to do with itself. My machine is not a slouch either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

On touch, android Sam S7, click on certain threads and get a 404, (this is one of them btw) click on full site and then I can view and post in this thread . It rights itself for a few hours...and then same thing happens again. Happens with only 3 or 4 threads I follow I think

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lemming wrote: »
    I'm getting freezes near constantly - with the last few days in particular being notably dire - using firefox & legacy site (from the UK); even writing this is like I'm on a VPN using a 14.4k modem.

Seriously lads, it's fvcking unusable. It freezes my browser, CPU usage spikes like it's going out of fashion and will happy sit there for a minute at a time deciding what to do with itself. My machine is not a slouch either.

I'm having the same problem but I thought it was a Firefox/Avira problem rather than a Boards one. I must try and close the Boards tab and see if it speeds up/ gets 'unstuck'.

For those of you who have issues freezing, is it in Chrome and can you see what's loading during the freeze? See my post above, http://ge0ip.org/ is causing me issues but I don't know if it's boards or adware :/

Can you confirm if boards uses http://ge0ip.org/ to serve ads, Mark?

New Home wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem but I thought it was a Firefox/Avira problem rather than a Boards one. I must try and close the Boards tab and see if it speeds up/ gets 'unstuck'.

As soon as I close boards.ie (or it decides to close ... ) or don't have it open; everything is hunkydory. For me, it is very specifically a boards.ie thing on Firefox. Not tried Chrome so no idea.

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Looking into the various issues with ads. Ge0ip might be connected to something in a Google ad, but I'm not sure. Have deferred to someone who may know a little more about that side of things.
    On touch, android Sam S7, click on certain threads and get a 404, (this is one of them btw) click on full site and then I can view and post in this thread . It rights itself for a few hours...and then same thing happens again. Happens with only 3 or 4 threads I follow I think

From time to time, there seems to be issues with how Chrome requests data. However, using incognito mode seems to handle this differently and gets around this error.

Boards.ie Employee

Are there any particular pages that are causing ye problems? Is there a common ad involved (assuming they load, that is...)? Could people PM me Diagnostics reports please?

I've ads off so i can't help there. Happening on all pages for me at home but not at all in work. Not that I browse boards in work >.>

Boards.ie Employee

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've ads off so i can't help there. Happening on all pages for me at home but not at all in work. Not that I browse boards in work >.>

Of course not :D And you've ads off in both places? Would you be able to send me the results of the Diagnostics report for both home and work (on lunch of course)?

Boards.ie Employee

If people could provide links to the troublesome pages, that would be a great help. We're trying to replicate / track down the issue here, but as it's a third party site (and not one we deal with directly, it seems) it's a bit more troublesome. Thanks for your help!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm getting walls of text instead of ads on touch.boards.ie

On an android phone

http://touch.boards.ie/latest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Same as Stheno, no ads just wall of text...don't bother fixing this one too quickly :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same as Stheno, no ads just wall of text...don't bother fixing this one too quickly :D

It's fixed now for me, quickest fix ever!

Had to kill my browser a moment ago with yet another script failure (sometimes it just likes to freeze instead ... ) . It's all to do with ads ..... When I did a debug script it was throwing up shedloads of permission failure errors on a container.htm file on behalf of boards.ie

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Lemming wrote: »
    Had to kill my browser a moment ago with yet another script failure (sometimes it just likes to freeze instead ... ) . It's all to do with ads ..... When I did a debug script it was throwing up shedloads of permission failure errors on a container.htm file on behalf of boards.ie

Do you know what page you were browsing at the time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement