Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Do you know what page you were browsing at the time?

It doesn't seem to matter (or at least I have not pinned down any discenable pattern). I either suffer serious slow down - to the point where the browser (regardless of any other tab that I'm viewing and whether or not that tab has anything to do with boards.ie or not) will simply become unresponsive but not show as having become unresponsive (and eventually unfreeze itself) or I get a "'browser not responding" state, or a script failure and a consequential restart of the browser in order to make it work again.

None of this happens if I do not have boards.ie open on the browser. It is entirely random as to when it will happen too. Yesterday was fine for example until at home last night. Today in work was horrendous over lunchtime yet ok yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I'm getting 404 for all subscribed threads, click into any other thread and it loads fine. Touch site, chrome beta browser on Android marshmallow

I've been getting 404s since I switched to a Galaxy S7 (never got them on iOS) but I may have found a workaround. It looks as if the site is confused as to which version it should load. I'll 100% get a 404 if I click the responsive site link and then go back to my subscribed threads bookmark and open a thread.

But if I go to the responsive site and switch back to legacy then touch, it seems to work OK. Getting responsive to load can take a bit of fiddling but once it does, everything seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The new mobile site is a lot slower loading pages than the previous version. That's on both WiFi and 4g. Other sites load fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

I'm not able to quote posts for some reason when I press the quote button. What might be the problem?
    Edited to add it's working on touch site for me but not on legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

You can get around 404 Errors by going into Chrome's Incognito mode.
    I'm not able to quote posts for some reason when I press the quote button. What might be the problem?
    Edited to add it's working on touch site for me but not on legacy.

This is a bug tied to new account restrictions. You should be able to quote and preview now on Legacy too though as you have five posts and an account older than 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Didn't catch the full address but skimlinks something or another was slowing the site for me last night on Chrome, latest version. The whole site, nothing specific I could see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

You can get around 404 Errors by going into Chrome's Incognito mode.

This is a bug tied to new account restrictions. You should be able to quote and preview now on Legacy too though as you have five posts and an account older than 24 hours.
    Is working for me now, Mark. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

IE 11.0.37 on W7Pro

Example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101965191&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post101965191

Banner loads (The Christmas is coming! Catch up on the last Mods news of 2016)

Rest of page is blank - never loads at all.

Screenshot attached

This is just an example- it happens perhaps every 10th page you try to load- i.e. it is replicable, but you could be randomly trying a few pages, before it happens again.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

IE 11.0.37 on W7Pro

Example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101965191&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post101965191

Screenshot attached

This is just an example- it happens perhaps every 10th page you try to load- i.e. it is replicable, but you could be randomly trying a few pages, before it happens again.

Hope this helps.

I'd only just been to that link just before coming here so was a bit confused as to why the same page opened up again. Anyway its working find for me but I'm not seeing the notification (because you are a moderator and I'm not?) and I'm getting an adidas banner ad.

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

IE 11.0.37 on W7Pro

Screenshot attached

Hope this helps.

This is your typical OS and browser? Have you had the chance to try a different combination - Chrome, access to PC with a different OS, etc. by any chance?

This is your typical OS and browser? Have you had the chance to try a different combination - Chrome, access to PC with a different OS, etc. by any chance?

Its my work computer- between 7AM and 7PM- it is the only computer I have access to. I know its a bit of a crap combination- but they actively block Chrome, Firefox and other browsers at the firewall here (why- I honestly don't know).

So- during daylight hours- its my only OS and browser.

At home- Firefox 51.1 on a fully patched W10Pro- the instances of pages not loading fully are far less often (from about 10% of the time on IE on W7Pro down to 2-3% on FF on W10Pro)- but do still occur.

It doesn't happen all the time- its probably in the region of 1-in-10 on IE- and probably less on Firefox.

I can take a few screenshots on Firefox tonight and show you the same thing.

Just another example from my work PC from a few mins ago (screenshot attached). Nothing unusual whatsoever- its just the Argos thread in Bargain Alerts........

Link here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101970682&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post101970682

It starts to load the screen- and then for whatever reason, just stops.

It only happens on every 10th/12th screen- absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happens on the others.

Timestamp on exactly when this latest one happened is as per the system tray in the attached screenshot- don't know, server log might show something, though somehow I doubt it.

Ps- just noticed- its still trying to load- its not actually timed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just another example from my work PC from a few mins ago (screenshot attached). Nothing unusual whatsoever- its just the Argos thread in Bargain Alerts........

Link here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101970682&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post101970682

It starts to load the screen- and then for whatever reason, just stops.

It only happens on every 10th/12th screen- absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happens on the others.

Timestamp on exactly when this latest one happened is as per the system tray in the attached screenshot- don't know, server log might show something, though somehow I doubt it.

Just a thought but what happens if you log in with another account (for testing purposes) thats not a mod or as an unregistered (not logged in) user?

my3cents wrote: »
    Just a thought but what happens if you log in with another account (for testing purposes) thats not a mod or as an unregistered (not logged in) user?

I don't have a second account- and its a secure work machine- no-one else is allowed to log onto it.

If Mark wants to PM me some sort of test account details- I'd be happy to test in another account- however, I don't think that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is anyone else having problems with the touch version of the site on mobiles?

Its been incredibly slow for me the last few days to the point i cant use it unless im on my pc. Its not a connection issue cause ive tried it on more then one.

Touch site is fecked for me. All pages show 404. Dolphin browser on android. I was somehow redirected to the responsive touch site...

Touch site is fecked for me. All pages show 404. Dolphin browser on android. I was somehow redirected to the responsive touch site...

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The devs will tell you just to use private browing/incognito mode but try messing with the links for the various sites. I had this problem until I clicked the links to load the responsive site, then legacy, then touch. Been fine since.

All working now!

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Karsini wrote: »
    The devs will tell you just to use private browing/incognito mode but try messing with the links for the various sites. I had this problem until I clicked the links to load the responsive site, then legacy, then touch. Been fine since.

Not a dev, but I more than likely would have :D Glad to hear you got it sorted Kersplat! And thanks for the advice Karsini.

Still some pages getting 404 on touch. I'll link them later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Mick Taylor

New users can't quote other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

New users can't quote other posters.
    Depends if you really are a new poster or not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Social Groups on boards.ie : Quite a noticeable stale pong is emanating from this section. The most recent posts seem to come from 2013.

Why not close them down entirely? Or move to archive at the very least?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Social Groups on boards.ie : Quite a noticeable stale pong is emanating from this section. The most recent posts seem to come from 2013.

Why not close them down entirely? Or move to archive at the very least?

2013 would be when they were closed down. You can't create new ones or post in existing ones. Or has that changed? I can't imagine it having changed because it was another brick in the whole dismantling vBulletin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the status of boards' own image host? I find load times horrendous from that server/CDN. Experienced users all use 3rd party hosts like Imgur but newbies often use the boards host which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Last couple of days cannot get to the last page of one particular thread --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057536595&page=26 (page 26 is the last atm, but there was the same issue earlier when that thread had less posts/pages).

All other threads in various forums are fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^^^^

I get that occasionally too. It eventually resolves.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was everyone flung onto a new mobile site this evening or is it just me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement