Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

What's the story with trying to use the "talk to" forums when using an android phone?

I use legacy site, on my phone (Full site, not mobile) most of the time when browsing, I wanted to post on the Vodafone forum this evening, but the keyboard is randomly deleting words and jumping about the place.

Hard to explain, but if any one using an android (using Swype keyboard) would like to head over to any of the "talk to" forums they'll see what I mean.

It's really frustrating. I will now have to charge the laptop and use it instead.

Happened on non talk to forums. Just standard reply on touch, chrome, Android.
    Non swipe entry. Complete madness trying to type simple stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Another weird one - there's one post on After Hours that I wrote over an hour ago and it's still not appearing on 'Find All My Posts', even though other posts I wrote later in other threads are shown.

EDIT: Sorted - the missing post reappeared this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Similar behaviour using Internet Explorer 11. It's been like that for a long time now. I avoid posting in the talk to forums using IE as it's infuriating. Easily able to reproduce the behaviour on any machine with IE11.
    What I've started doing is posting a random word and then editing the post straight away as it goes into the older editor if you edit a post, which doesn't have the problem.
    What's the story with trying to use the "talk to" forums when using an android phone?

I use legacy site, on my phone (Full site, not mobile) most of the time when browsing, I wanted to post on the Vodafone forum this evening, but the keyboard is randomly deleting words and jumping about the place.

Hard to explain, but if any one using an android (using Swype keyboard) would like to head over to any of the "talk to" forums they'll see what I mean.

It's really frustrating. I will now have to charge the laptop and use it instead.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all,

Looking into the issues on mobile, but can't replicate (also on Android, Swype keyboard, and tried full site). Will keep trying.

ProjectMoose - did have this happen to me on IE. Will see if anyone knows anything about it. Could you be convinced to try a different browser in instances where you do need to use a Talk To forum while we investigate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Apologies for the intermittent downtime over the last hour or so. I think all should be back to normal now.

• Advertisement

May have spoken too soon. There may still be some problems with desktop legacy site. Working on getting it back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

On touch site, clicking into this thread
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/102646799

gives

http://www.boards.ie/404.php (on legacy site).

May have happened on other followed threads too.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    On touch site, clicking into this thread
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/102646799

gives

http://www.boards.ie/404.php (on legacy site).

May have happened on other followed threads too.

Sometimes a conflict can occur if you've swapped between Responsive/Legacy and Touch sites on your device. I've encountered it before but can't reproduce it reliably enough yet to be able to pin it down. If you examine your cookies - you should find a boards.ie - beta cookie. Deleting that I think should solve your issue.

Failing that - nuking all off your boards.ie related cookies and logging back in will fix it.

I have just moved a post that incorrectly posted in the home appliances forum to gadgets, but there was no option to leave a redirect.
    This means that the OP now will see that their post has "vanished".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No matter what link I click on, using android chrome, I gat brought to boards.ie/b/ and a message of failing to load. Doesn't matter about WiFi or 4g. Firefox works on the mobile but not chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Using desktop legacy site on mac thru safari, I can't access my newest PM in inbox. The notification says I have a new PM (and know I do), but the inbox does not show any of todays PM's (all 14 of them) nor my new unread one, only those received yesterday.

^ also, I've rebooted, cleaned cache, cookies, refreshed and reopened in a new browser - none of todays PMs still show up.

^ Closed legacy and opened up Responsive site. Today's PMs show up there, so ignore ^ my above quandary please.  Thank you! (I do hope Legacy continues to be available for us for a long time, it seems much more user friendly and has the features I use most - thanks!).

Boards.ie Employee

I have just moved a post that incorrectly posted in the home appliances forum to gadgets, but there was no option to leave a redirect.
    This means that the OP now will see that their post has "vanished".

They should still be able to find it via their own Statistics >> Find all posts, but you could drop them a PM just to give them a heads-up about the thread's new home.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    No matter what link I click on, using android chrome, I gat brought to boards.ie/b/ and a message of failing to load. Doesn't matter about WiFi or 4g. Firefox works on the mobile but not chrome.

What error message are you seeing? Could you try clearing cache? Thanks!

Glad to hear you got sorted B00!

Don't know where to post this but where is the Ask Me Anything AMA forum? I thought it would be under the "Talk to" section at the top of the site but it wasn't?

What category is it in from the top menu list?

I've posted there before but without going back to my previous post I can't find it.

thanks.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1647

In the Social and Fun category.

Karsini wrote: »
    http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1647

In the Social and Fun category.

Thanks Karsini. It makes sense now:)

Have a quirky ickle anomaly to show you, is all... I changed avatars a few times since having the Dilbert character, a few weeks ago. Check out my profile/post, here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/794072/410340.png

... shows two diff avatars, my current and my old one. :D dunno how that happened.

(fyi, on mac laptop, using full-site legacy thru safari, all cache cleaned-etc)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What error message are you seeing? Could you try clearing cache? Thanks!

Done, makes no difference. Can access via firefox so not a 4G or wifi issue. Every boards.ie link goes to boards.ie/b/

Error message is ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

It attempts the right address for about 3 seconds and then goes to the /b/ one.

B00! wrote: »
    Have a quirky ickle anomaly to show you, is all... I changed avatars a few times since having the Dilbert character, a few weeks ago. Check out my profile/post, here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/794072/410340.png

... shows two diff avatars, my current and my old one. :D dunno how that happened.

'n now I am back to just having the blue question mark box beside my username, likes it's been for a few weeks

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/794072/410390.png

it's not an issue, just silly that I notice it is all... still love having legacy available! thank you for that! :)

• Advertisement

I'm having an issue with avatars on the touch site. (Android 7.0 on a Galaxy S7). Some avatars are not loading and if I attempt to view the image, I get a "Error 503 Backend fetch failed" error.

An example is below, where the OP's avatar fails.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057710657/1/

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with avatars on the touch site. (Android 7.0 on a Galaxy S7). Some avatars are not loading and if I attempt to view the image, I get a "Error 503 Backend fetch failed" error.

An example is below, where the OP's avatar fails.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057710657/1/

Woohoo, mine is on legacy! Dunno about mobile (cos my phone always gets an error message and wont connect).... Thanks Ronan! :pac::pac::pac:

Boards.ie Employee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Done, makes no difference. Can access via firefox so not a 4G or wifi issue. Every boards.ie link goes to boards.ie/b/

Error message is ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

It attempts the right address for about 3 seconds and then goes to the /b/ one.

Ah yes, this is still an issue that we are looking into. A workaround that seems to do the job is to use incognito mode if you'd like to keep using Chrome. As you've seen yourself, a different browser will also do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Using touch site on iPhone. When moving to new page on thread page keeps going automatically to the bottom? Can I fix this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'm no longer getting email notification when I thread I am following is updated, is this a wider issue, or is it just me?

Thanks

Boards.ie Employee

Using touch site on iPhone. When moving to new page on thread page keeps going automatically to the bottom? Can I fix this ?

Can't seem to replicate that here. Could you try clearing the cache? Have you tried a different browser to see if it happens across the board or if it's isolated to just the one?
    I'm no longer getting email notification when I thread I am following is updated, is this a wider issue, or is it just me?

Thanks

Do you want to PM me your e-mail address and I can look into it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So here is an old issue thats never seems to have been fixed and iirc I think I was told at one stage it was by design but here goes.

If I go back to any of the talk to forums that I have posted in my followed threads update that there is a new post in the thread I've just visited even if there is no new post.

I'd be using the Original and not to be surpassed site aka Legacy site on Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Think I got sorted thanks

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi everyone,

Some work is going to be carried out today in the datacentre, which MAY cause some disruption (though hopefully not). Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement