Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Post disappearing for me, assuming that's related to the work.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, looks like stuff is majorly out of sync. Getting lots of threads showing with new posts, and clicking into the thread, they don't show up. And attachments are showing as invalid.

I'm sure they'll be back to normal after the maintenance window!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have you started to force people off m.boards.ie I'm being forced into touch for every forum I try to connect to via m.boards.ie?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

gandalf wrote: »
    Have you started to force people off m.boards.ie I'm being forced into touch for every forum I try to connect to via m.boards.ie?

Nope; it may just require a clearing of the cache. Still working for me here :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Video averts are auto playing on every page refresh.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

KoolKid wrote: »
    Video averts are auto playing on every page refresh.

I know. They are incredibly annoying, we are nuking them as we get click through URLs for them but some of them are just a video playing, no click through. These ones will take a little longer to track down but we're just waiting for Google to get back to us.

I know. They are incredibly annoying, we are nuking them as we get click through URLs for them but some of them are just a video playing, no click through. These ones will take a little longer to track down but we're just waiting for Google to get back to us.

What makes the adds appear? (I"m not a techie person)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We sell some ads on the site ourselves and we upload those ads here so have control over the conten. However, as you might imagine, there are a huge number of page impressions (and therefore ad impressions) per day and our sales team couldn't sell enough ads to fill these so we use Google Ads to fill the remainder. We define our criteria on Google Ad Exchange of what sizes, what formats, do we want videos, do we allow autoplay, do we allow audio (NO we don't) and Google directs ads that match our criteria to the site. However, we are dependent on the people who upload the ad content labelling it correctly when they upload it. Sometimes they are mis-labelled and they slip through the net and on to the site like the audio ads did on Friday.

That is a very simplistic breakdown of it from my understanding as an equally not too techie person :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Still getting video on every page PMed you links

We sell some ads on the site ourselves and we upload those ads here so have control over the conten. However, as you might imagine, there are a huge number of page impressions (and therefore ad impressions) per day and our sales team couldn't sell enough ads to fill these so we use Google Ads to fill the remainder. We define our criteria on Google Ad Exchange of what sizes, what formats, do we want videos, do we allow autoplay, do we allow audio (NO we don't) and Google directs ads that match our criteria to the site. However, we are dependent on the people who upload the ad content labelling it correctly when they upload it. Sometimes they are mis-labelled and they slip through the net and on to the site like the audio ads did on Friday.

That is a very simplistic breakdown of it from my understanding as an equally not too techie person :)
    Great explanation. Many thanks :)

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi everyone, there's some downtime on the Responsive Site at the moment. The tech team is aware of it and working through it as we speak. It should be back shortly.

Update (12:34): Aaaannnddd we should be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Hi I'm trying to edit post #1 here http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057714572 but am getting the following error when I click 'Edit':
    Error 503 Backend fetch failed
    Backend fetch failed
    Guru Meditation:
    XID: 555466817Varnish cache server

UPDATE: This was using the responsive site. I switched to legacy site and could edit it fine. Linux Mint 17.3, Firefox 51.0.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I flicked over for a look at the responsive site to see had it improved, I'm still shook from the experience, so so nasty over there :( Its like a cross between my first ever college project and a dodgy streaming site like megaupload or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

rex-x wrote: »
    I flicked over for a look at the responsive site to see had it improved, I'm still shook from the experience, so so nasty over there :( Its like a cross between my first ever college project and a dodgy streaming site like megaupload or something

The features I like and the things I can (easily) do are only found on legacy. I hope it doesnae get phased out :(

B00! wrote: »
    The features I like and the things I can (easily) do are only found on legacy. I hope it doesnae get phased out :(

That would be the day I stop using boards, nobody could use that responsive site long term

That would be the day I stop using boards, nobody could use that responsive site long term

Unfortunately it's the only version of the site that uses HTTPS. Legacy uses it when signing up and in, that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Unfortunately it's the only version of the site that uses HTTPS. Legacy uses it when signing up and in, that's it.

Apart from PM's what exactly are you posting that the rest of the world isn't going to have access to anyway?

my3cents wrote: »
    Apart from PM's what exactly are you posting that the rest of the world isn't going to have access to anyway?

Had to send a PM with personal details. Apart from that nothing.

I did not know this. Good information to keep in mind. Thanks.

This was my argument years ago when it was announced, make the new site identical on the front end to the old one, colours layout etc and then make small tweaks from there. You will have 100% acceptance with all the benefits of the new site

• Advertisement

This was my argument years ago when it was announced, make the new site identical on the front end to the old one, colours layout etc and then make small tweaks from there. You will have 100% acceptance with all the benefits of the new site

That'd be ideal from a user perspective alright! I've been visting the site more frequently than in the past so  noticing (read: being bugged by) things that could be improved. Sure all of them have  been identified already and probably being worked on. I'm cautious to be critical as I don't know the  history of its development. For me as a user it's either; do nothing and hope/wait for changes I'd like to see; submit feedback on issues as I see them or; use alternative sites. It's a great resource to have a localised site with such a broad scope of topics so I'm more inclined to submit feedback and try to support the devs where it's sought. Unfortunately that might mean starting a number of threads in the Feedback and Site Dev forums :)

:o I am not patient enough to use it short term. I try, but it frustrates me within minutes.
    It's pretty, but not user friendly (and so many features that I use & enjoy) are now missing.
    I have given up attempting to use boards on the phone :( it's futile. The new format(s) have limited my mobile accessibility.
    But I do appreciate all the effort that has gone into the site.

:o I am not patient enough to use it short term. I try, but it frustrates me within minutes.
    It's pretty, but not user friendly (and so many features that I use & enjoy) are now missing.
    I have given up attempting to use boards on the phone :( it's futile. The new format(s) have limited my mobile accessibility.

I'm not quite as nice! to me its akin to someone painting your entire house pink, huge effort but utterly useless and a waste of time, problem is they wont just let it die and rethink because they are "invested" in the new layout. Had they done what I suggested last year the new site would be totally re-skinned like the old one by now and everyone would be much happier and the tweaking/ adding polish could begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bit sticky tonight, seems to be linked to ad.server.ad tech.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

gandalf wrote: »

Nope; it may just require a clearing of the cache. Still working for me here :)

Does it work from abroad still?I basically don't bother with boards now unless I am on my laptop or decent WiFi on mobile

Does it work from abroad still?I basically don't bother with boards now unless I am on my laptop or decent WiFi on mobile

Not in my case. I can only access boards with my laptop.

I'l be harsh, I really don't appreciate "all the effort", its gone from something that had its flaws but was usable on mobile to something thats apparently better but is just a pain in the ass, this isn't just me getting used to a change either I've spent a good bit of time trying to like the new mobile site and its just slow, I don't like Reddit much but I use it far more now on mobile because its quick and usable.

I'l be harsh, I really don't appreciate "all the effort", its gone from something that had its flaws but was usable on mobile to something thats apparently better but is just a pain in the ass, this isn't just me getting used to a change either I've spent a good bit of time trying to like the new mobile site and its just slow, I don't like Reddit much but I use it far more now on mobile because its quick and usable.

edit:And its been ages now, this isn't just a month or something of a flawed design

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's with this forced change for the touch site? Still can't see stickied thread.

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

What's with this forced change for the touch site? Still can't see stickied thread.

Are you using the traditional Touch site or the Responsive site on mobile? Could you post a screenshot please?

Touch site should display Sticky threads at the top as per normal, while the Responsive Site features them under the header "Charter & Important threads," which is just under the forum header.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement