Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm going crazy with having to correct nearly every post of mine that uses a special character, like the euro sign. Most of the special characters seem to end up like:

€

WTF is that all about? Going on a good 3 or 4 days now. Once you edit a post and replace that nonsense with the special character again, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

unkel wrote: »
    I'm going crazy with having to correct nearly every post of mine that uses a special character, like the euro sign. Most of the special characters seem to end up like:

€
    I encountered that issue earlier today in one of the talk to forums. Went back to edit a typo in a post and a couple of characters like the above appeared except it was a capital A with a little thingy on top. Went back in to edit those out and it looked as if I had removed them but when I saved the edited post again they were back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Still on beta skin and no probs.

Ross, wherever you are, boards owes you a great debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

unkel wrote: »

€

WTF is that all about? Going on a good 3 or 4 days now. Once you edit a post and replace that nonsense with the special character again, it's fine.

Thats a known issue with the new post editor. A fix is in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for the reply, Ronan. Not really an issue that wouldn't have shown up in testing prior to go live, but here we are. Any update on it being fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

have you changed the layout of the drop down menus?

When I click on Society and Culture I can't see all of the options and there doesn't seem to be a scroll down so I have to reduce the size of the page to 75% to view all forums in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Anyone having the problem of the sticky header not remaining sticky (in firefox anyway)? This has been happening for a while and it's driving me mad. I'm using firefox, my preferred browser. However, I used Edge to test and the sticky header works there.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

carolmon wrote: »
    have you changed the layout of the drop down menus?

When I click on Society and Culture I can't see all of the options and there doesn't seem to be a scroll down so I have to reduce the size of the page to 75% to view all forums in that list.

A new Subscriber Area has been added at the top of Topics. This should result in you seeing three columns. Can you post a screenshot of how your menu looks, please?
    Staph wrote: »
    Anyone having the problem of the sticky header not remaining sticky (in firefox anyway)? This has been happening for a while and it's driving me mad. I'm using firefox, my preferred browser. However, I used Edge to test and the sticky header works there.

Are you using a touchscreen laptop by any chance? We've had issues with that in the past. Does the sticky header work in Chrome or is it only in Microsoft Edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Thanks for responding, appreciate it 😀 Yes, my laptop has a touch screen. I haven't tried chrome.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are you using a touchscreen laptop by any chance? We've had issues with that in the past. Does the sticky header work in Chrome or is it only in Microsoft Edge?

FYI, I've lost my sticky header on my touchscreen laptop too. Chrome on Linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I see that anytime I type in the pound symbol the capital A with the little curved fada above it appears. I'll see if I can replicate it ... £10

Using W7, Chrome and legacy site

A new Subscriber Area has been added at the top of Topics. This should result in you seeing three columns. Can you post a screenshot of how your menu looks, please?

I'm not sure how to do a screenshot but yes I'm now seeing the topics in 3 columns, and when I try to click into some of the topics ie Society and Culture it displays as far as The Gentlemen's Club, if I want to see the topics below in the list I have to reduce my page to 75%

Hope that explains it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's of any help, I have the same problem - it looks like that on most of the topics in the middle column, and in the second and third menus of the third column.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,167 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I am having the same with the no scroll bar in the menu system, so as you can see if you go into sport you can't scroll down to soccer

2q3vtrc.jpg

fbmcuh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

A workaround is using the down arrow key once you've clicked on a topic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That only makes the background page scroll, not the actual menu. At least, it does that on my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Works for me to get all the way down a menu e.g. Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Same thing happens for me. I can see the full menu if I reduce the zoom on the page.

Boards.ie Employee

Hmmm, that's weird. Could those affected please let me know what OS and browser they're using? Also, what display size and resolution are you using? Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same on work computer, windows but no idea what version, using chrome.. Mobile site seems fine..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Win 10 64 bit version 1511 (OS build 10586.839) and chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) 12 res 1024 x 768.

Issue no scroll bar in menu so can't reach items at the bottom of menus eg sports below Kitesurfing and Recreation and Hobbies below Travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I have a scroll bar but I can't actually scroll using the mouse wheel. It works in the same browser and in all other tabs bar boards. Strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Legacy site not working on iPhone for about a week

Boards.ie Employee

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I have a scroll bar but I can't actually scroll using the mouse wheel. It works in the same browser and in all other tabs bar boards. Strange one

This is when browsing the site in general or related to the menu issue?
    km79 wrote: »
    Legacy site not working on iPhone for about a week

What is happening? Are you getting error messages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This is when browsing the site in general or related to the menu issue?

What is happening? Are you getting error messages?

General browsing. Opened in a new tab and it worked again for a while then stopped. New tab again and it's working away now

Re - the menus, I'm using Vivaldi 1.6.689.40 (Stable channel) (32-bit) and Windows 7.

I'm on internet explorer........don't know what OS is or how to find what I'm on ........sorry not very techie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

my3cents wrote: »
    Win 10 64 bit version 1511 (OS build 10586.839) and chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit) 12 res 1024 x 768.

Issue no scroll bar in menu so can't reach items at the bottom of menus eg sports below Kitesurfing and Recreation and Hobbies below Travel.

But the menus work fine and I can scroll up and down through them when I use MS Edge 25.10586.672.0
    MS EdgeHTML 13.10586

Also have Opera loaded and without using the VPN Opera 43.0.2442.1144 (PGO) also fails to have scrolling menus.

I know this is a dumb question but this isn't being tested on a development machine that has loads of stuff loaded on it that a normal users PC wouldn't have loaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,167 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Using windows 10, Chrome and no menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hmmm, that's weird. Could those affected please let me know what OS and browser they're using? Also, what display size and resolution are you using? Thanks!

Using Firefox 52.0.2 32 bit on Windows 7

Screen resolution: 1366 x 768

Also on a side issue, I had a separate tab open to change it to Responsive & back to Legacy to see if that reset the issue & it didn't.

So I had this reply ready to go on Legacy & separate tab in Responsive, the reply wouldn't go through until I had change the other tab back to Legacy.

I know no normal person would really have both versions of site open at same time. But as I have been told numerous times, I am not normal.

Not sure if this issue has been raised or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement