Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

I'm getting a lot of 503s on desktop today, especially earlier when it would have been night time in Ireland. It's certainly not regular traffic that's doing it if most of the userbase is asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Lots of issues over the last few months....let's call a spade a spade..it reflects badly on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I got this at 7 this morning

521467.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

CH3OH wrote: »
    I got this at 7 this morning

521467.jpg

It’s most mornings. No one seems to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,091 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s most mornings. No one seems to care.

I haven’t got this a once on touch, so it may be a subset of users.

What are you doing when this happens? Loading a thread page, searching, posting a reply?

I don’t think it’s fair to say nobody cares but Covid and recent spam attacks as announced may be challenging resources :o

• Advertisement

That message is when you try to view a thread iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

503 error every morning for me. Tried logged in, logged out, cache cleaned, desktop site and touch. I've even uninstalled chrome and reinstalled but same error every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah at about 8am this week I've been getting either the SQL Exception error or just the 503 error.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It’s 100% the site; similar issues to those from the weekend which obviously haven’t been fixed.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Morning all, apologies for the issues some of you experienced last night or this morning. We are looking into it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

This isn't just a one off though

It's getting pretty ridiculous at this stage that the same mysql error is showing for so long. It isn't even hard to fix.

set global max_connections = x; with x being a number that keeps the site alive. The same 503 error as well is just frustrating as a user. Up the server's resources until the root problem is found.

And I think it would be smart to update us with more information on what is happening and why. Why is it down so much at night, which is morning and afternoon where I am? Is it really a case of waiting for someone to get into the office to restart the server?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

corsav6 wrote: »
    503 error every morning for me. Tried logged in, logged out, cache cleaned, desktop site and touch. I've even uninstalled chrome and reinstalled but same error every morning.

Same. I work night shifts, generally any time from midnight until morning the site is down

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

It's getting pretty ridiculous at this stage that the same mysql error is showing for so long. It isn't even hard to fix.

set global max_connections = x; with x being a number that keeps the site alive. The same 503 error as well is just frustrating as a user. Up the server's resources until the root problem is found.

And I think it would be smart to update us with more information on what is happening and why. Why is it down so much at night, which is morning and afternoon where I am? Is it really a case of waiting for someone to get into the office to restart the server?

I know, what a disgrace!! Especially considering we are paying so much money for the service!!!!! How can they be so ungrateful for our custom!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!!

Tig98 wrote: »
    I know, what a disgrace!! Especially considering we are paying so much money for the service!!!!! How can they be so ungrateful for our custom!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!!

Plenty of users actually subscribe for five euros a month.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/payments.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Morning all, apologies for the issues some of you experienced last night or this morning. We are looking into it now.
    its been the last three mornings in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

no users no ad revenue..

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I know it is frustrating but we are doing our best here. If the issue was as easy to fix as some of you think, it would be done already. We have a very smart team who know what they are doing. Please trust that if I tell you we are doing our best to sort it, we really are. We don't want the site to be down - it causes frustration for users which results in complaints that we need to answer and it also means our traffic and post numbers are down - no good comes of it for any of us.

I don't have any more information to share about what the specific issue is and those who do are busy looking at how to get things back on track. When I have any more information, I'll post it here. Again, apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for being patient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Sarcasm is the lowest form wit. Especially when it’s demonstrably incorrect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

think its 3 days at least in the early hours of the morning I am getting the 503 error.

Surprised the board mods have not put up some notification, as it took me an age to find which thread to post this in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel like it's loading pages very slowly this evening

I feel like it's loading pages very slowly this evening

Took 20 seconds to load this thread for me, but it's not consistently slow, only every few threads seem to take a while to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its coming to nap time again. Its crawling.

Seems fine this morning for me thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

corsav6 wrote: »
    Seems fine this morning for me thankfully.

Same.

Hey I finally got that touch site error myself:

An exception occured in driver: SQLSTATE[08004] [1040] Too many connections

Happened while reloading a thread page immediately following an edit of a post.

Thank the devs I appreciate the work you do to keep the site running, and I hope people don’t see that as a shill - it’s really not; I just know it’s a thankless job when everything is working great and little but complaints when it’s not.

Edit: yep happened again editing another post, where the original post of the reply was made the click before editing the post. It didn’t happen when I edited this post, having come back to it later (or on subsequent chains of edits to this post)

Edit: and once more when navigating to Politics from my page of subscribed fora. Hmm.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

There may still be some issues to be ironed out, I'm afraid. Hopefully this error won't crop up too frequently, but it's also on the list.

There may still be some issues to be ironed out, I'm afraid. Hopefully this error won't crop up too frequently, but it's also on the list.

It’s relatively infrequent for the amount of successful page loads I’m seeing. So, the impact to me is quite low. I will continue to post details that may be insightful as I encounter them

Edit: trying to reproduce the post-edit occurrence and it’s indeed inconsistent occurrence. I’ll play around with it more over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Happening intermittently on touch site when opening threads

An exception occured in driver: SQLSTATE[08004] [1040] Too many connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Yep, I'm getting that now as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement