Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

Truthvader wrote: »
    Seems to be endless problems which are never resolved while huge effort is devoted to mods policing free speech - particularly anything critical of Green Party policies.

Best post of the thread. I bet this is all a conspiracy to keep the Green Party in power.

Fcukin hell

• Registered Users Posts: 83,085 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Best post of the thread. I bet this is all a conspiracy to keep the Green Party in power.

Fcukin hell

I'm a Green and so is my wife

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, it's still all over the place.

Technical issues seem to occur with a bit more frequency lately. Though I'm sure everyone is doing their best.

I think times might be tough at boards HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, it's still all over the place.

Technical issues seem to occur with a bit more frequency lately. Though I'm sure everyone is doing their best.

I think times might be tough at boards HQ.

That's what I think too :( I have the feeling the site is being held together with sellotape and string and that they can't afford to move the platform onto something more modern and stable. It's also telling that boards runs into difficulties at weekends and that it limps along until the next working day. All these errors we've been encountering all weekend will continue until someone shows up for work tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is a new one: An error occured while loading this widget.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Would it be realistic for the Boards technical team to scale their databases by moving it to the cloud?

Disclaimer: this is very naive post, given I don't know anything about the sites architecture - I'm just seeing lots of "too many connections" errors, so assume it's a database issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tork wrote: »
    That's what I think too :( I have the feeling the site is being held together with sellotape and string and that they can't afford to move the platform onto something more modern and stable. It's also telling that boards runs into difficulties at weekends and that it limps along until the next working day. All these errors we've been encountering all weekend will continue until someone shows up for work tomorrow morning.

I think the issue is that Boards has become a customised mess of a thing over the years so that porting it to something new isn't that easy, the knowledge of exactly how it's put together may not be there (given some of the prominent departures in recent years), and the cost-benefit isn't there anyway given the dying of the "Talk to" forums, and the completely understandable resistance to the "responsive" site from the users.

It's why there's no weekend/holiday support or on-call either. The value doesn't justify the expense presumably.

The irony of course is that the more these problems occur, the larger those other issues will become. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and invest anyway.

Is this how it ends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is this how it ends?

Too many connections

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is this how it ends?

I think the concern would be that if the owners (can't blame the staff to be fair) don't decide whether they want to keep the site as a viable concern, the users will start deserting it more than they have in recent years already.

That would be a shame. For all its faults, there's a mine of local knowledge and insight to be had here with a very dedicated userbase who care about its future.

But Boards has never properly utilised that. There's been countless feedback threads with good suggestions for improvements, offers of help (someone even suggested a fundraising exercise above), and other ideas - but it never seems to go anywhere beyond "we'll take that away and come back to you..."

I don't know who owns the site now or how it's run or on what infrastructure, but it's clear that something is badly broken lately anyway.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I think the concern would be that if the owners (can't blame the staff to be fair) don't decide whether they want to keep the site as a viable concern, the users will start deserting it more than they have in recent years already.

That would be a shame. For all its faults, there's a mine of local knowledge and insight to be had here with a very dedicated userbase who care about its future.

But Boards has never properly utilised that. There's been countless feedback threads with good suggestions for improvements, offers of help (someone even suggested a fundraising exercise above), and other ideas - but it never seems to go anywhere beyond "we'll take that away and come back to you..."

I don't know who owns the site now or how it's run or on what infrastructure, but it's clear that something is badly broken lately anyway.
    Yeah, look I think this forum has always been more of a labour of love, than anything motivated by profit, so we need to go easy.

On the other hand, this forum is important to people. It's a dynamic, important meeting-place in irish life, and has been so, especially so during confinement. Some of us have made real friends here. In a very small way, some of us have given up our time to contribute to it.

I think we deserve to have a proper explanation of what's happening, and whether the site needs some funds. At this stage, it would be irritating if the problem *isn't* financial, because then it's just a case of people not really being bothered.

It's probably been a stressful week for whoever runs this site and nobody wants to add to that. But at this stage, it's hard to see the point of remaining here. Many of us have a strong attachment to this place, but thay isn't unconditional. I think we deserve to know what's happening beyond the occasional "we are working on it".

Working on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RIP Boards.ie

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Someone send this site for a CoVid test fast.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This site is a turd and the people running it are turd shovelers.

Admin: Grand. Access removed from feedback so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Aside from the errors and the Groundhog Day-like post redirection, it's also been painfully, painfully slow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

This site is a turd and the people running it are turd shovelers.

The site might be a mess, but it has not stopped the mods giving out infractions and warnings and going about what they normally do.

I am sure someone will be "offended" at your comment, or someone will "report" it sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The site might be a mess, but it has not stopped the mods giving out infractions and warnings and going about what they normally do.

I am sure someone will be "offended" at your comment, or someone will "report" it sadly

I don’t understand why people would report my comment. Some people must be very easily offended.

Extremely broken. I refreshed this eight imes and got two different versions.

Half this site are web devs. Maybe some of us could help or spot a mistake being made.. "We're working on it." doesn't give us much room to do that.

Feels like the failed responsive site was a motivational or financial blow.

And for what it's worth, clicking View Thanks on mobile doesn't show names anymore. Not sure about desktop.

And can't report posts.

• Advertisement

Do they not use the Twitter page to keep people updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Do they not use the Twitter page to keep people updated?

They're office hours only it seems so if they do it'll only be updated today.

Half this site are web devs. Maybe some of us could help or spot a mistake being made.. "We're working on it." doesn't give us much room to do that.

They're hardly going to start firing snips of code in here and saying, here, can you spot anything there by any chance. They have their own developers who'll look today one would presume.

They're hardly going to start firing snips of code in here and saying, here, can you spot anything there by any chance. They have their own developers who'll look today one would presume.

This is it wrote: »

They're using Varnish to serve pages. There's a problem with it as it is serving old and new cached versions of pages at the same time resulting in a very wonky experience serving content from three days ago. They don't have to post code but they could post config or ask about why this could be happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

And can't report posts.

maybe thats a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

And can't report posts.

vbulletin ain't no snitch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Trying to view the John Hume thread has me tearing my hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This is absolutely disgraceful, we don't pay good money for this ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I’m getting PMs every 15 minutes telling me that my 3 day ban from Travel has been automatically lifted.
    Still getting them... also getting emails notifying me of the said PMs even though I turned that off earlier.

Please God, make it stop!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement