Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Its ****ed imo, dying a slow death. Hasn't changed in near 20 years. Soon all that will be left will be pompous mods with no one to give yellow cards to wondering why everyone ****ed off to reddit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Last night was a disaster. Again

So what is the issue?

It's money right?

The site needs more RAM, or another server or whatever. But the bottom line is lack of investment by Distilled Media

Now, when Boards is the busiest I've seen it since 2005, is the time to give it a new server/extra RAM etc. This era of Boards might be the last one Boards gets to be a real alternative to Reddit/Twitter/Etc

At the moment it's doing that with one arm tied behind it's back. Everytime it gets too busy, it falls over

And people have too much choice in 2020 for that kind of thing

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Apologies for the issues over the weekend everyone, there were some database issues causing problems on Saturday night and early Sunday which the team resolved but the breaking news about potentially moving to Level 5 restrictions caused a huge influx of traffic to the site (probably in addition to the soccer that was on) and the site became unstable. Things should be much more stable today.

Thanks for your patience, I appreciate it was a frustrating experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

buckwheat wrote: »
    Its ****ed imo, dying a slow death. Hasn't changed in near 20 years. Soon all that will be left will be pompous mods with no one to give yellow cards to wondering why everyone ****ed off to reddit.

Constructive feedback there :rolleyes:

The good thing about it imo is that it hasn't changed.

Reddit is a horrible user experience and useless for discussion as opposed to thanks-whoring.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Checking your browser before accessing boards.ie.
    This process is automatic. Your browser will redirect to your requested content shortly.

Please allow up to 5 seconds…

DDoS protection by Cloudflare
    Ray ID: 5dda152d2b841e1e

Nearly 15 mins to log in on laptop with chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Same as above, but I wasn't so patient. Quit after 10 minutes of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

when i log in ...it keeps logging me out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm on a Cloudflare binge. Does the drivers mirror on a bus count as part of the bus or not?
    I have no idea how many traffic lights, and other transport pictures I've clicked on the last 24 hours.

Note: Am in Ireland- not using a VPN and on a home Virgin dynamic IP address.

Also- everytime I come back to the site- I've been logged out again.........?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

To fix the issue of being logged out frequently, could you please try clearing your cookies, just in case a cached cookie isn't updating correctly. Cloudflare shouldn't be kicking in at this stage. Was this only this morning?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To fix the issue of being logged out frequently, could you please try clearing your cookies, just in case a cached cookie isn't updating correctly. Cloudflare shouldn't be kicking in at this stage. Was this only this morning?

Ysterday evening- and again this AM (Cloudflare) though not in the last 90 mins.

Clearing cache does seem to help- though now when I clicked on the e-mail to notify me of your post- it brought me to a post from 2 days ago.......... Totally different issue- and something that doesn't really bother me- as I can simply scroll to the next page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

503's when trying to post (cache cleared, using full site, on chromebook)

Boards.ie Employee

Sorry Deja Boo, looking at the logs it seems one of the nodes had a blip around that time, but things should be back to normal again.

Those blipping nodes ! :D

Thanks Mark :pac::pac::pac:

Search seems slow or sometimes not even working

Will there ever come a time when common punctuation symbols (like apostrophe and quotation marks) will be recognizable by the system, without replacing them with odd characters? Or, can you tell me what I am doing wrong to make this happen?

Even when a document is formulated within the Boards pm or reply box (not from an outside source like word) something happens between typing, preview and reply that changes things... Going back back through the entire reply to remove the random symbols and re-input the formerly correct punctuation marks gets rather tedious after awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Do you still need to employ cloudflare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Why does the site continually change from the full site to the crappy touch site when using mobile. Surely this can be set as a preference?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure it it was a temporary issue or not, but last night the in-thread advance search function by keywork wasn't working.

Boards.ie Employee

Slideways wrote: »
    Why does the site continually change from the full site to the crappy touch site when using mobile. Surely this can be set as a preference?

When you navigate to the full site, a cookie should be set that saves your preference. If the cookie is not saving, there may be an issue with it not updating correctly; you could try to clear your cookies and then navigate to the full site to see if that helps. It's not a setting that you can save explicitly within Boards' options as the Full Site is not designed for use on mobile and there can be some display issues as a result.
    New Home wrote: »
    Not sure it it was a temporary issue or not, but last night the in-thread advance search function by keywork wasn't working.

This looks like it's fixed to me, but if you're still encountering issues, please let me know. If you like, you can PM me the thread and search that you're performing and I can see if I can replicate.

Haven't been getting captcha in the last 12 hours. Just a 1020 cloudflare error. Thought the site was just down for everyone till I tried with my VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Haven't been getting captcha in the last 12 hours. Just a 1020 cloudflare error. Thought the site was just down for everyone till I tried with my VPN.

I'm also in Asia and getting this error. Can only access boards through a vpn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Posts appearing in a thread in forum overview and then when you click into the thread the post isn’t there.

It is very slow again today

It's 2020. If boards.ie isn't going to serve large parts of the world, it should explain why. The captcha was annoying but understandable. Just getting an access denied error is bad form.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Ads by Google, were you getting a specific error, e.g. a 503 or something else?

Hi Ads by Google, were you getting a specific error, e.g. a 503 or something else?

GUKRqSf.png

Another poster in Asia has the same problem. It's a Cloudflare setting I guess.

Hope they've invested into better servers/RAM etc for 6pm today

It's not like they don't know the massive traffic surge is coming this time

It wouldn't only be the boards servers that'll be warmed up, the whole Irish internet will go mad!

In fairness, they must've (finally) thrown a bit of money at it

Currently active users: 4,469 (1,858 registered, 2,611 guests) and it's holding steady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

Lots more errors tonight 503's, and checking your browser before entry to site.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement