Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Damn you lizard squad. Damn you to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dav wrote: »
    Since people are speculating about it, we use a technology called Solr for our search and it lives on 2 dedicated machines. VBulletin's own search, as Conor described above, was killing the site because it wasn't optimised for something the size of Boards.

Ah should have thought of this, thanks.

All this is bringing me back to my short-lived days as a webmaster in the mid-2000s, when several GameFAQs spinoff websites (mine included) went to war with one another over the internet's only (at that time) free PHP web host running out of disk space, and issuing one last MySQL database when five of us needed one. I was unfortunate enough to be the first to grab the registration for it, which led to my site being repeatedly hacked and attacked by the others who wanted to take the database for their own use.

I believe it changed hands more than 15 times over 5 different websites due to us all having an appalling misunderstanding of PHP injection exploits and a total inability to patch them properly when discovered. :o We were like the kids in Harry Potter when they try to have their first duel but don't know how to use any spells properly and end up causing total havoc. :D Like a typical Dublin gang war, even when database registrations re-opened our little war continued because it was no longer about the database but about vengeance. :pac:

Ye all have my greatest sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Thanks Dav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Is there any workaround to the search funcionality failing ?

Is there any workaround to the search funcionality failing ?

You could use Google as a workaround. Search for:

site:boards.ie <whatever you're looking for>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Karsini wrote: »
    You could use Google as a workaround. Search for:

site:boards.ie <whatever you're looking for>

Thanks, but I use "Find all my posts" to keep track of my activity, and I dont think google works for that ... let me try,,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Thanks, but I use "Find all my posts" to keep track of my activity, and I dont think google works for that ... let me try,,

Actually it does, click on Google's search settings after searching and select "past week / past 24 hours / whatever"

You'll get results which quote you, mention you, and which you actually posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Or you could just follow threads that you post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Just want to say that the site is ridiculously slow at the moment. You can literally see the separate parts of the website download (styling, etc.). :eek:

Seems to be fine for me here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Grand for me too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, search function aside, it's been working great for the past couple of days.

EDIT - Mozilla Firefox v. 41.0.2, from a laptop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Touch/mobile site is fine for me but the desktop site is running quite slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No issues on desktop here (chrome on mac)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Desktop responsive with Firefox on Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Still a bit slow on Touch for me but all the repeating and missing pages nonsense seems to be sorted.

The search is now indexing my last few posts up to 20 hours ago but that one week gap still remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,042 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Chrome and IE today at home and work both take longer than usual to load boards pages. There is a long delay between the browser request and the site response. The actual load once it starts is normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Karsini wrote: »
    The search is now indexing my last few posts up to 20 hours ago but that one week gap still remains.

It shows only four of eleven posts I've made today and only one of many I've made yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Overheal wrote: »
    Chrome and IE today at home and work both take longer than usual to load boards pages. There is a long delay between the browser request and the site response. The actual load once it starts is normal enough.

I'm finding the same this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone else experience a lot of posts missing when you click "Find all my posts"?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, I'm missing about a week of posts, mostly from a specific forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Still sluggish (via desktop) last few days - varies a bit in response time throughout the day. Verbal abuse and threats have not as of yet produced any noticeable effect.

I have to say that, aside from a few missing posts, it's been working great for me - back to normal, in fact.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 41.0.2 and the 'desktop' version of Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone else experience a lot of posts missing when you click "Find all my posts"?

A lot of the posts were not indexed when the site was at its worse.

A lot of the posts were not indexed when the site was at its worse.

I thought as much. :) I'm just happy the site is working again, fair play to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Seems to be fully operational again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My only issue in the last week is occasionally peoples(including my own) avatars not loading sometimes. I can live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seems to be fully operational again?

Gone laggy over the last hour or so for me. Have other windows going at the usual speed so don't think its just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nodin wrote: »
    Gone laggy over the last hour or so for me. Have other windows going at the usual speed so don't think its just me.

+1 really slow again at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement