Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Anyone got the same earlier this morning?

372742.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

joujoujou wrote: »
    Anyone got the same earlier this morning?

372742.png
    All morning. I only made it on about ten minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Trev De rev

Quazzie wrote: »
    All morning. I only made it on about ten minutes ago
    Me too. Trying all morning so bored at work I actually had to do some work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We had a hardware issue earlier which meant some swapping around some of their responsibilities.

Things might be a little slow and I see Avatars are misbehaving, but they might come back online as things stabilise - I'll keep an eye and let you know as best I can when I have something more for you.

Sorry for the interruptions to lazy Sunday morning bed browsing folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm getting a weird bug on Touch at the moment - there's one single thread where new posts won't load ("The little things 3" in R&R). I know there are new posts (because I posted one earlier) and in My Threads it says that the most recent post was 5 hours ago, but when I click into it, the latest post I can see was 2 days ago.

If I go onto the Full Site on my phone, I can see the two new posts fine. It's just this one thread though, all others are working fine - and the same thing happened a couple weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm getting a weird bug on Touch at the moment - there's one single thread where new posts won't load ("The little things 3" in R&R). I know there are new posts (because I posted one earlier) and in My Threads it says that the most recent post was 5 hours ago, but when I click into it, the latest post I can see was 2 days ago.

If I go onto the Full Site on my phone, I can see the two new posts fine. It's just this one thread though, all others are working fine - and the same thing happened a couple weeks ago.

Maybe not for you but this has been happening for a longtime now, pretty sure there's a separate thread for it.

Sometimes I post in a thread myself, it shows in the forum view that mine is the last post and is unread but when I go in it isn't there but is when I go to the main site

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Same here. Not that thread but on another thread. It only started a few weeks ago.

It's only a 2-3 hour delay for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This has been happening for months to me.
    Particularly on long threads. Then January 2015 babies club was awful for it-was delighted when we moved to Facebook. Don't have it anywhere near as regularly now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Peregrine wrote: »
    Same here. Not that thread but on another thread. It only started a few weeks ago.

It's only a 2-3 hour delay for me though.

Happens to me in several threads.

Rather than a 2-3 hour delay though, I've figured out that it's once the second post on a new page is posted, then you can see it and the first post of the new page

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Rather than a 2-3 hour delay though, I've figured out that it's once the second post on a new page is posted, then you can see it and the first post of the new page

That's good to know. It's unfortunate because it's an important enough thread.

I usually switch to the full site or beta for a second and read the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This is actually due to the delay in the time between thanking a post, and the time the post is registered as "thanked", so it may not be immediately apparent that you've thanked a post twice. It happens only on the touch site and it's an easy enough fix as it's user profile specific rather than thread specific (the site devs can apply a filter to search for any posts thanked twice in user profile records).

It's one to keep an eye out for as it happens to me sometimes and I have to go back through a thread to find a post I thanked twice. Once I remove the thanks, I refresh the thread and it carries on as normal.

(I really hope I've explained that in a way people understand :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Maybe not for you but this has been happening for a longtime now, pretty sure there's a separate thread for it.

Sometimes I post in a thread myself, it shows in the forum view that mine is the last post and is unread but when I go in it isn't there but is when I go to the main site

Ah ok, I had it with lots of threads a few months ago when the site was totally broken, but lately it's only been this one thread for me anyway.

It is a fairly long thread, so that might be the case as mirrorwall14 suggested.

EDIT: Penny Tration, you're right, it happens when the posts are on a new page on the Touch site. Another post has been made and now I can see all three posts are on a new page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This is actually due to the delay in the time between thanking a post, and the time the post is registered as "thanked", so it may not be immediately apparent that you've thanked a post twice. It happens only on the touch site and it's an easy enough fix as it's user profile specific rather than thread specific (the site devs can apply a filter to search for any posts thanked twice in user profile records).

It's one to keep an eye out for as it happens to me sometimes and I have to go back through a thread to find a post I thanked twice. Once I remove the thanks, I refresh the thread and it carries on as normal.

(I really hope I've explained that in a way people understand :o)

How do you find the post that was thanked twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How do you find the post that was thanked twice?

If you spot it happening immediately that you can't see the posts on a new page, then go back through the previous page and check all the posts you thanked to see if your username appears twice on any of them (I saw one post in a thread where it looked like the poster had thanked the post five times!).

Failing that, I'd PM one of the site devs with a link to the thread in question, and they can spot it on your records handy enough and fix it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I've been having this happen since about 5pm. About every 5 minutes. Every other website is behaving normally. It does continue down the page but I couldn't screenshot the whole thing.

Screenshot_3.png

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Probably stating the obvious, but have you cleared your cache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Crap internet speed?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zaph wrote: »
    Probably stating the obvious, but have you cleared your cache?

Clearing your cache is like the internet version of flossing your teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Cache and cookies cleared.

Internet speed taken a minute ago.

Screenshot_4.png

Desktop site running really slow the last few hours, everything else running fine, no issues with speeds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

ken wrote: »
    I've been having this happen since about 5pm. About every 5 minutes. Every other website is behaving normally. It does continue down the page but I couldn't screenshot the whole thing.

Screenshot_3.png

I've been experiencing the same intermittently over the last few days, only on boards.ie, cache and cookies regularly cleared and internet speed is not an issue.
    I'll post a screenshot if/when it happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lumi wrote: »
    I've been experiencing the same intermittently over the last few days, only on boards.ie, cache and cookies regularly cleared and internet speed is not an issue.

I get that problem all the time on a slow internet connect, but unless you can measure the speed between you and the boards.ie servers then you can't really say its not speed related. The problem could be a lack of speed/bandwidth anywhere between you and boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That b-static thing is causing problems for me too the last few days. Pages don't seem to load properly. The actual content is there but I'm still getting the spinning blue circle & a "transferring data from..." message at the bottom of the page. Google Analytics is another element that comes up. Have logged out, cleared both cookies & cache & logged back in but the problem is the same. It's also the same whether or not I have Adblock enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Boards totally died for about 40 minutes recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lumi wrote: »
    my3cents wrote: »
    I get that problem all the time on a slow internet connect, but unless you can measure the speed between you and the boards.ie servers then you can't really say its not speed related. The problem could be a lack of speed/bandwidth anywhere between you and boards.ie.

Same happening here (fibre broadband).. fairly regular occurrence that coincides with the site acting up as it has been doing in the past hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Same happening here (fibre broadband).. fairly regular occurrence that coincides with the site acting up as it has been doing in the past hour

I wonder if a DOS attack on boards.ie servers and or other servers at the same location would use up all the bandwidth making the service appear slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The two android apps are a ball of ****e..

Cannot log in with G+, just crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a very long winded PM reply typed up earlier and clicked on the reply button only to find the damn thing wouldnt move. I didnt want see it disappear into cyber space so I did a quick "copy and paste" to a Word doc and sent it later when the site was functioning again.

Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was unable to access the site on and off earlier, on both desktop and touch.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement