Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Boards.ie, then lotto website, then various government websites... Are the kids off school again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Die hard 4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the latest posts/my threads/trending on the main page is back for me now thanks!

why is the site running so slowly (navigating, posting etc) ? it's gone beyond the "I couldn't be arsed waiting so I'll just close the page" level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, site is currently slower than a sloth on valium, taking about 10 seconds to go from one page to the next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Presume it was the additional cloudflare checks causing the slow response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

I was blaming my new mobile provider for the slowness.

Any sign of this attack ending soon? It's making the site rather painful to use as each click is taking up to 10 secs to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'd imagine because there is still an active attack going on, lots of sites use Cloudflare and you don't see any slowdown. Cloudflare in this case acts as a reverse proxy to Boards own server. Even if a good bit of attack data is filtered enough might be slipping through to cause high levels of server load.

It would be nice to see some graphs of traffic etc. (MRTG)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'd imagine because there is still an active attack going on, lots of sites use Cloudflare and you don't see any slowdown. Cloudflare in this case acts as a reverse proxy to Boards own server. Even if a good bit of attack data is filtered enough might be slipping through to cause high levels of server load.

It would be nice to see some graphs of traffic etc. (MRTG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So an update for you all on what the lay of the land is before the weekend lands on us fully...

Logging in - That's been our priority all day. A change is going live shortly that should sort this out.

Search - It's going to be next week before that gets attention I'm afraid.

Emails - Our system generated emails haven't been going through, that too has been work in progress for today (it's tied to the same rot cause as the login issue).

General Speed - We are still under attack, so this is something we can't be certain about until the attack stops. When we've got normal traffic levels again, we should be able to improve things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Emails seem to be back as normal for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yea, I just tested the emails from reported posts as an example and they're coming through now. Nice to have some small bit of good news after a long week :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Was it just some people that were affected by the e-mail issue? I've been getting e-mails about reported posts and PMs all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Will the site be as slow as it is for much longer?
    (10+seconds per page click)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Will the site be as slow as it is for much longer?
    (10+seconds per page click)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Phew! After many failed login attempts, being told I am locked out and no emails sent when clicking the link to send a new password, I am finally back in with my original password. It seems that a lot of places are still under attack, but it is nice to be able to get back in here again. Hopefully the worst is over and we won't have any more problems. Well done to all of the team here. It's tough work when something like this happens, so thanks guys and gals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Apart from the search function not working the site is running ok for me, it's noticeably slower but not painfully so. Good job to all the staff, this week must have been a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The "FIND ALL MY POSTS" menu is not working. Goes to an advanced search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Is there any word on who's responsible for carrying out the DDOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

The touch site is painfully slow. 10 seconds to do anything after clicking on it. Not a pleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

goz83 wrote: »
    The "FIND ALL MY POSTS" menu is not working. Goes to an advanced search.
    Don't worry, nobody thanked any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Damien360 wrote:
    The touch site is painfully slow. 10 seconds to do anything after clicking on it. Not a pleasant experience.

The app is working smoothly , surprisingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The ads seem to be adding to the malaise of the site, causing serious loading wait time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

The full site won't let me login. It's is painfully slow for me.

I'm posting this off the touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

TheBody wrote: »
    The full site won't let me login. It's is painfully slow for me.

I'm posting this off the touch site.

Mine is exactly the same. Getting too many login attempts, change password. But I am logged into touch site on chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

El Weirdo wrote: »

[cough]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Seems to be another major attack going on elsewhere, one of the main bank sites is down. Could be the same data centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gulliver wrote: »
    Seems to be another major attack going on elsewhere, one of the main bank sites is down. Could be the same data centre.

Seems to be a lot of Irish sites/networks getting absolutely hammered this week.
    I wonder have any of the security firms analysed where the traffic is coming from and what botnet is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I still cant log in on laptop too many failed log in attempts locked account reset password

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ironically, 'find all thanked posts by...' and 'find all posts thanked by ...' are working fine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement