Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I see lotto.ie was checking my browser the same way boards was - they had one too obviously. How many sites went down? Why didnt this make news?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

ardinn wrote: »
    I see lotto.ie was checking my browser the same way boards was - they had one too obviously. How many sites went down? Why didnt this make news?

This was fairly extensively covered on the news (indo, irish times, rte, the journal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

ardinn wrote: »

Where do you get your goss from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Is anyone else getting captchas to fill in before they can access the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I am also finding the site much slower than before. Is this expected? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Can log in now with no problems, had been locked out for 24hrs. Can't say I notice any loading issues at the moment either. Search still borked for me, but have seen a previous update about it possibly being a few days before thats sorted.

Just on a more general note. I sent an e-mail to a company last Tuesday. It's a company I pay to provide a service and have still not recieved a reply. Yesterday I e-mailed the Boards office, and despite everything thats going on had a reply from Niamh 13mins later. Thats pretty remarkable. Well played all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

No.

Site still slow to load, but at least it's loading!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yes. Every time. Could be because I access it from different locations on different devices?

Worst of all is the mix of Raw text and html. Even this window i'm typing in is a garbled mess. For instance the button names are being displayed and not the actual graphic if the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Managed to login today for the first time all week. Thanks to everyone working behind the scenes all week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Well done dav and the team you must have sum headache after a hard week thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Small thing: all my postings are doubled up. Clicking "Post Quick Reply" takes about 30 seconds before being processed and results in twin postings.

EDIT: Oddly this one DIDN'T double post, but for 4 other threads this morning I've had to delete the 2nd copy of each posting I've put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

InTheTrees wrote: »

Worst of all is the mix of Raw text and html. Even this window i'm typing in is a garbled mess. For instance the button names are being displayed and not the actual graphic if the buttons.

Press f12 on chrome, then red x in pop-up and you'll see URLs of pages that didn't load. Look for one with 'bstatic' in url, right click one of these URLs and click open in new tab. You will be prompted for captcha, once u enter it and try boards.ie again it will display correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

"All posts by" function not working for me either.

Ranting & Raving has also disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dial Hard wrote: »

Ah, stop moaning.

How much to sign with cloudflare?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm glad to be back on boards now after a week since the attack happened on the site. I read the main page on Tuesday night to read why it had gone down.

I was very surprised to find out about the Boards attack by then.

As soon as it hit a number of Irish PS websites earlier this week. I thought I found it pretty disturbing to note they were in the same fate as this great site.

Well done to everyone who had worked hard to get Boards back to normal somehow by this weekend.

I hope these scumbags who hacked into these sites really get a taste of their own medicine in court someday; but seeing that this is Ireland; they will probably get away with a slap on the wrist in the end. Such is life and all that ****e. :o

See ya now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"All posts by" function not working for me either.

Here is the link again. I advise you subscribe to the forum/add it to your jumplist :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Finally some good has come from this DDoS attack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Great to see you guys back. Was getting withdrawal symptoms:) Sadly, still painfully slow. Memories of the 28k dial-up days flooding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye unfortunately it's painfully slow to the point of unuseability, is this a consequence of the actions taken re the DDOS, or will it improve at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I want to add my thanks to those working to get the site back to good health. Your efforts are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Is anyone else having issues with how pages are being displayed? Using Firefox and they are white with black text and formatted horribly. Doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Finally about to log in after a week in the wilderness. So soothing to see the blue screen again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

Is anyone else having issues with how pages are being displayed? Using Firefox and they are white with black text and formatted horribly. Doing my head in.
    see my post #1014

i cant post urls
    but for firefox try right clicking the image under trending threads that has the broken image icon and press copy link location. and then paste the copied url into a new tab, where you will be prompted for captcha again and then reload boards.ie and it should work

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Finally about to log in after a week in the wilderness. So soothing to see the blue screen again. Thanks
    The Blue Screen:eek:....the horror! Black Theme Only or ya go blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

The Blue Screen:eek:....the horror! Black Theme Only or ya go blind.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said that. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tracert is showing weird delays- inconsistent- at various points in the route to www.boards.ie- even cloudflare has abnormal delays on it (and of course its the final step before 104.20.0.160)

On the brightside- I think most of us got more work done this week- that is- in my case- until Friday- when the government network and VPN got nobbled (and thats still not right either- similarly- its ongoing- but mitigated somewhat).

Has Ireland done something in particular to deserve to the broad natured attacks we've been under for the last week? It could be anyone at all- its not even difficult or that expensive to hire a botnet these days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How much to sign with cloudflare?

Here you go...curiosity satisfied.

https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/

Site is painfully slow which is not a result of Cloudflare. I use it frequently on sites I develop.

Probably still issues at server level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Tracert is showing weird delays- inconsistent- at various points in the route to www.boards.ie- even cloudflare has abnormal delays on it (and of course its the final step before 104.20.0.160)

I wouldn't put too much weight on traceroute reporting inconsistent high response times at various points in the path - the routers don't treat sending the responses that traceroute uses as high priority, so perceived delays in traceroute results may not reflect actual performance of the network. A lot more detail on this is explained well here: https://www.awsarchitectureblog.com/2014/12/internet-routing.html

Has Ireland done something in particular to deserve to the broad natured attacks we've been under for the last week? It could be anyone at all- its not even difficult or that expensive to hire a botnet these days :(

It does appear suspicious that boards, the Government and the Lotto all got DDOSed in such a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Singer wrote: »

It does appear suspicious that boards, the Government and the Lotto all got DDOSed in such a short period of time.

It says one thing for sure. Boards is a national institution just like the government and the lotto.
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement