Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Any chance ye could set up physical boards in the main populations centres that people can pin notes to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Found a way around the "too many login failures message". Not able to login at all on touch or full site due to the error but changing to beta site and logging in there , works every time for me and I'm still logged in when I go back to touch and full site.

Brilliant, works for me using your method, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Must say I'm loving the honesty in the updates, no bullsh*t, it's quite refreshing coming from an IT support role myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I know they're a necessity after the DDoS, but damn those bloody CATCHPAs that appear unexpectedly on the touch site. I had a post written out there and went to submit it, and the CATCHPA came up and interrupted, so that when I filled it out and submitted the CATCHPA, I got an "Invalid Thread ID" message.

I couldn't go back to the post either like I can sometimes do on Chrome on the desktop if the connection times out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Any chance ye could set up physical boards in the main populations centres that people can pin notes to?

This would not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Is downloading/viewing attachments broken for anyone else? Varies between an 500 internal server error and just a blank page/screen for me on any I try, and I see recent posts with attachments with zero view counts suggesting they're inaccessible? Haven't seen it detailed in Dav's updates, and can't search the thread to see if anyone else has reported it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm constantly getting logged out. Then everytime I try to log in it's telling me my password is wrong (it's not), that my account is locked and I have to reset my password. Must have reset it about 5 times already. Can ye post up some sort of announcement when that's fixed because it's not worth the hassle using the site until it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks for the Beta site tip.

Just to stick in my 2c. I was met with the 'too many login failures' message and it instructed me to reset my password. However, no attempt to do so yielded any progress. I sat by my email inbox waiting but no email arrived.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cantdecide wrote: »
    Thanks for the Beta site tip.

Just to stick in my 2c. I was met with the 'too many login failures' message and it instructed me to reset my password. However, no attempt to do so yielded any progress. I sat by my email inbox waiting but no email arrived.

I got the emails but 30 minutes later I'd get logged out and have to go through the same rigmarole again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I got the emails but 30 minutes later I'd get logged out and have to go through the same rigmarole again.

I haven't gotten bounced out yet but I first attempted to change my password about 24 hours ago....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Touch site is running so slowly since the DDOS that it's pretty difficult to use.

There's no point in resetting or changing your passwords because it won't solve the problem. Dav mentioned earlier that it's an issue with having CloudFlare in the middle of VBulletin authentication. That would explain why the beta site isn't affected, it doesn't use VB at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I had the login locked out problem over the whole weekend and the reset password function made no difference. I was getting no e-mails from Boards about password resets or my followed threads etc. I finally sent a message to boards this evening about this and, when I came back to the site tonight, my login was not only okay but I was defaulted to my account when I went onto Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I haven't been logged out, double posted or been given a captcha since the site came back.
    I'm feeling kinda left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Found a way around the "too many login failures message". Not able to login at all on touch or full site due to the error but changing to beta site and logging in there , works every time for me and I'm still logged in when I go back to touch and full site.

God bless you!

Shortly after I posted my rant, I was kicked/logged out of my phone (Not suspicious hmm) and I couldn't get back in. Went into the fourm to read the posts while logged out and thanks to your tip I'm back!

An hour later, another CATCHPA.

Please tell me the CATCHPAs aren't going to be a permanent obstruction going forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Are people getting captchpa's on shared IP. Like most phone users who go through NAT so one IP address could be making 100's of page requests and look like an attack.

I haven't even had one CAPTCHA. On a Virgin Media connection here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Is the desktop version of boards slow for anybody else? Anytime I click a link, it takes ages to load. It's like I'm on dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

By the way guys, thanks for all your efforts in getting the site up and running again so quickly. It's easy to forget that there are people working awfully hard behind the scenes.

Here's a photo of a hard working Boards.ie staff member

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Shortly after I posted my rant, I was kicked/logged out of my phone (Not suspicious hmm)
    Yeah, like they have time to deliberately kick just you out. Numerous people are being logged out - it goes back to the attack on the site, which they are trying to fix. You'd swear they were just inconveniencing users for the craic rather than working hard to resolve the mess. It's bound to take time - don't know what the point is in demanding an ETA. They may not have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

28srf0c wrote: »
    Is the desktop version of boards slow for anybody else? Anytime I click a link, it takes ages to load. It's like I'm on dialup.
    Yeah, same for me. To be expected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Search function doesn't seem to be working correctly either . Turns up 0 results for stuff i've read on boards very recently

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cython wrote: »
    Is downloading/viewing attachments broken for anyone else? Varies between an 500 internal server error and just a blank page/screen for me on any I try, and I see recent posts with attachments with zero view counts suggesting they're inaccessible? Haven't seen it detailed in Dav's updates, and can't search the thread to see if anyone else has reported it.

Yes, a few of us reported that a while ago - you either get that 500 Internal Server Error message, or, in Firefox, the tab where the attachment should open comes up empty, and its heading contains the word 'Clear'.

I'm sure that's on their list too. I've said it before, but I'm glad I'm not in their shoes, fair play to them.

my3cents wrote: »
    Are people getting captchpa's on shared IP. Like most phone users who go through NAT so one IP address could be making 100's of page requests and look like an attack.

That's certainly a most likely explanation for why I'm after getting another one just now as I went to post, and again was interrupted by a catchpa, which led to an "Invalid Thread ID".

I remember a couple of weeks ago whenever I'd do a search on Google, it threw up a catchpa too. I'm on the Three network and the explanation then was the shared IP.

EDIT: 1:10, and another CATCHPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

I can only log in with the Beta site.
    Seems like problems persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

On the touch site on the phone I'm signed in but on the laptop it won't let me log in.

Another CATCHPA, half an hour after the last one.

Fortunately this time I was only browsing as I'd given up trying to post.

2:14 another catchpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

3.31am and still having log-in issues like everyone else. For those saying that the resetting password is getting you nowhere as you haven't received an email, did you check your spam folder? That's where my one ended up.

Though, as has been stated already, there is no point in resetting your password as it will just happen again and again until the issue with CloudFlare or whatever it is has been resolved. Just log in using the Beta site loophole until then.

And also remember to CTRL & A then CTRL & C your message before you post just in case you get a Captcha or server error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Site is crawling again, takes ages to navigate and even longer to post something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement