Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057565567/1/#post98852351

Was looking at this thread with a poll on touch, 4 of the options are blank whereas they're present in the poll results. You can see all the options on desktop. Might be something that needs looking in to.

I'm on a HTC desire 620 browsing on stock browser

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I figured out the words with special characters are the ones that come out blank in the poll options. Apostrophes and fadas are the culprits in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Guessing this has been asked already but I'll put it here anyway. For the past week Iv been getting constant emails from every thread I post in. I have to constantly press unfollow once i post in a thread in order not to be bombarded.

This never happened to me before the site went down. I wasn't receiving any mails or they just went straight into spam folder without flashing up on my phone.

Any help appreciated in stopping these emails please??

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guessing this has been asked already but I'll put it here anyway. For the past week Iv been getting constant emails from every thread I post in. I have to constantly press unfollow once i post in a thread in order not to be bombarded.

This never happened to me before the site went down. I wasn't receiving any mails or they just went straight into spam folder without flashing up on my phone.

Any help appreciated in stopping these emails please??

You're currently on 'instant email notification' for threads you post in - you can change it on this page, under the Messaging & Notifications tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Email notifications seem fine now. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

You're currently on 'instant email notification' for threads you post in - you can change it on this page, under the Messaging & Notifications tab.

Why should we?

How about you just turn off this annoying feature by default? Spamming people with emails every time a new post appears is not really a great way to boost use of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm noticing the odd post of mine is disappearing? They weren't contentious or charter-breaching ones so presumably it's an error and not a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why should we?

How about you just turn off this annoying feature by default? Spamming people with emails every time a new post appears is not really a great way to boost use of the site.
    Laziness is a heavy burden to bear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why should we?

It's your account profile ..... you have responsibility for setting it as YOU wish ...... or else accept the defaults.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 RadiationKing

And the point they're making is that "on" shouldn't be the default. Which I'd agree with; opt-in is always better than opt-out. It's not up to the user to have to discover that these options exist in the first place.

If someone is interested in that service then they'll make it their business to find out where they can turn it on but if they're not then chances are they won't even know it exists. I had that problem in the past too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Worztron wrote: »
    Email notifications seem fine now. :)

Not for me.... very occasional ones, no pattern, sometimes none for a few days.... I thought this was sorted by last Monday? Losing interest in it all now TBH

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Not for me.... very occasional ones, no pattern, sometimes none for a few days.... I thought this was sorted by last Monday? Losing interest in it all now TBH

TT

It was sorted last week so I'm not sure why you aren't receiving them unless your email provider is marking some of them as spam. If you would like me to check your settings, please let me know here or on hello@boards.ie. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

And the point they're making is that "on" shouldn't be the default. Which I'd agree with; opt-in is always better than opt-out. It's not up to the user to have to discover that these options exist in the first place.

If someone is interested in that service then they'll make it their business to find out where they can turn it on but if they're not then chances are they won't even know it exists. I had that problem in the past too.

..... and the only reason I knew it existed was that it was on by default and it took a minute or so to turn it off.
    So I was informed with little inconvenience.

Why should we?

You shouldn't. Unless you want to stop the emails you are complaining about.

Letting people know there is a new post in a thread they are interested in and/or have posted in is actually the best way to boost engagement on the site and as others have pointed out, if it becomes too much you can turn off the notifications.

Thanks for the feedback though, we'll certainly take it into consideration. Perhaps weekly/daily instead of instantaneous updates would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thanks for the feedback though, we'll certainly take it into consideration. Perhaps weekly/daily instead of instantaneous updates would be better.

Leave instantaneous as an option! For certain threads I enjoy getting an email the moment someone posts (And others I couldn't care less)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A lot of us in the gambling forum need them instantly if somebody gets a tip or whatever.
    Mine are still just random, sometimes after I've read the post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can get daily updates rather than instant, I thought someone made sarcastic allusions to that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

A big thanks a million niamh and dav for keeping us all updated over the past 2 months no easy task,cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Dav wrote: »
    I'm gonna have one of the lads take a look at this tomorrow morning, so I'll come back to you then pad e and see if we can figure it out.
    Did anyone figure out what's happening with this? It seems to work fine on my home laptop but at work it doesn't, but on both I can't access that sire you linked to, I get a 404 error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

It was sorted last week so I'm not sure why you aren't receiving them unless your email provider is marking some of them as spam. If you would like me to check your settings, please let me know here or on hello@boards.ie. Thanks.

Yes please. Would be great to get them back again.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have clicked no email notification on the messaging section of my profile but I am still getting loads of updates.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

anewme wrote: »
    I have clicked no email notification on the messaging section of my profile but I am still getting loads of updates.

Did you change it on new subscriptions, or did you change it on the already existing ones too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

ERROR 523 today. czolem.gif

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I hope its just me but I have just had two posts vanish as I posted them with the "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters." error msg.

Edit> Make that three replies that has happened to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

my3cents wrote: »
    I hope its just me but I have just had two posts vanish as I posted them with the "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters." error msg.

Were you posting just an image? It sometimes throws that error up when there's only an image or a quote and no other content.

Were you posting just an image? It sometimes throws that error up when there's only an image or a quote and no other content.

This is the forth time I'm replying to your post. First three the editor was using a different font and that seems to be the common factor for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

hmm, that sounds, to use the technical term, fraked :) Can you possibly post a screen shot of what you're seeing? If you can't get it to post, maybe you could email it to dav at boards dot ie.

• Advertisement

hmm, that sounds, to use the technical term, fraked :) Can you possibly post a screen shot of what you're seeing? If you can't get it to post, maybe you could email it to dav at boards dot ie.

It should work this time as the txt in the editor is as it should be the attachment is what I get after I reply. Sometimes my original text is still there sometimes gone.

Don't waste too much time on it as it might just be my slow internet connection causing the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement