Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I've given up on the mobile beta. I asked for at least some way of finding the a-z on the new home page but my comment was ignored. Guess they don't want to listen and just want us all to migrate. I will migrate...to a new place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

You know, I reported that shíte personally attacking me in the thread last week, instead of responding to it - rather than reply to it in the thread - yet what exactly is the point of reporting such obvious personal attacks, if they are not acted upon?

We have a group of posters - a handful of them with a history of grouping up to sneer/condescend towards me - bringing up the Political Economics forum as a pretext for engaging in personal attacks against me, smearing me implicitly as Communist and similar bullshít (a view I've never held, yet which is applied to me in straw-man fashion so often, I chose my current name to take this piss out of that fact), in a thread where it should be blindingly obvious this is inappropriate/not-suitable - and I report this, and fúck all is done about it?

I'm not really interested in being dragged into defending the Political Economics forum here (or against the personal attacks - hence originally reporting last week...), but I guess I'll have to - one of the core ideas behind that forum was to allow discussion of economic topics, that have a tendency to be restricted on other economic/political forums - shortly after, the forum gets staffed with moderators who are hostile towards exactly those type of economic views...

Not only that, but one of the most vociferous complainers about that forum, is exactly someone who has tried to smear me as discussing bannable political/economic topics in discussions where I was not - in my view to trigger mod action against me - so it's no surprise such posters would want to see this new forum gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't know, maybe that's the issue with boards, an issue that has plagued the site for as long as I remember - the search function is a pile of shite.
    Another possible reason for reduced traffic around the site may be that the search function simply doesn't work and never has. I don't know what they can't just use a Google site search. I presume anyone who actually wants to make the effort to find something here does that anyway.

Thats what I had always done before joining, my flatmate had told me if you want an answer to any practical question in Ireland you type it into google and type boards.ie after it.

I only use the search function when acting as a mod, every other time it is generally google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

On that note: Google search for Boards only turns up the beta (or touch? not sure) version of the site, which sucks a bit.

I don't know if this has been put in place lately, but when visiting a thread from Google, it would be useful to have a button somewhere, to visit the same thread but on the desktop version of the site - I didn't see this last time I checked.

Was getting 522 errors for about 10 minutes just now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same as that, 520 and 522 errors usually it's been happening around 02.30

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Same here.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

2 issues,

520 and 522 errors earlier, but it's working again at the moment.

Drop down "my forums", the star that shows new posts is not correctly resetting when all posts in the forum have been read. It's staying active, which is not helpful.

Hopefully not serious as such to fix.

Best regards

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Cant post in the politics cafe, what's up?
    All threads locked as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Redbishop wrote: »
    Cant post in the politics cafe, what's up?
    All threads locked as far as I can see!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=1410

It's closed for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Days!!!

Jaysus I thought was going to be an hour or 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"In the meantime please do not create new threads on Feedback or the Help Desk asking about this action, instead please check regularly here for updates."

That all sounds very secretive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

smash wrote: »
    "In the meantime please do not create new threads on Feedback or the Help Desk asking about this action, instead please check regularly here for updates."

That all sounds very secretive...

No more speculating on govt formation!
    Insert smiley here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea, any reason WHY it's been closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Someone said something bad about DO'B maybe ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Topics and Talk to headings don't appear at all in Safari which I'm stuck with on this computer. Legacy site seems to be a bit of a lottery as well. Safari likes locking me out altogether when I try that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

But I was enjoying the demise of water charges so much. (Albeit "suspension")

Would an Irish Water related thread be shunted or shut on AH?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Why??
    The first rule of fight club politics cafe is you don't talk about politics cafe.... apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That is fairly ridiculous tbh, could we at least have a reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Too much fecal matter, it's on boil notice. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

But I was enjoying the demise of water charges so much. (Albeit "suspension")

Would an Irish Water related thread be shunted or shut on AH?

It's very opportune alright..................you'd almost think someone had an agenda.

Seeing as how this one concerning IRISH WATER isn't in the "cafe", and it was closed for not being topical and stuff, perhaps someone could get it opened now that it has become "topical" again:

"No refund for families who have paid water charges."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057567940&page=53

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

JT26 wrote: »
    I would take the tinfoil hats off lads nothing to do with DOB,Irish water etc it basically to do how to improve the forum going forward instead of how it currently functions in the site.

So it requires a forum lock si we can identify areas of improvement, plan ways to achieve the direction of making the forum what it was designed for,so no conspiracy's here I'm afraid.
    You should add a thread for funny cat gifs. Everyone loves funny cat gifs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I would take the tinfoil hats off lads nothing to do with DOB,Irish water etc it basically to do how to improve the forum going forward instead of how it currently functions in the site.

So it requires a forum lock si we can identify areas of improvement, plan ways to achieve the direction of making the forum what it was designed for,so no conspiracy's here I'm afraid.

Not that I ever even considered a conspiracy, why were we told so little, and as well as that hushed about out feed back, basically told shut up and don't complain about it?

A pity they didn't put that in the sticky instead of locking the whole forum down with out warning and posting this very vague message
    Closed for Review
    To all of the Cafe regulars - we're closing the forum for the moment.

Updates will be incoming, please check back for an update in a few days.
    In the meantime please do not create new threads on Feedback or the Help Desk asking about this action, instead please check regularly here for updates.

Thanks
    Admin, Cmod and Mod teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

**puts on tinfoil hat**

How'd this post made about ten mins ago slip through?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I would take the tinfoil hats off lads nothing to do with DOB,Irish water etc

That sounds exactly like something Denis O Brien would say.

**puts on tinfoil hat**

How'd this post made about ten mins ago slip through?

The plot moistens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That doesn't add any clarity to the situation. Most forums on Boards have reviews and feedback threads at regular (sometimes irregular) intervals, but I've never seen a forum shutdown for them.

What is the reason for the shutdown that can't be done while the forum remains open?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement