Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

JT26 wrote: »
    I would take the tinfoil hats off lads nothing to do with DOB,Irish water etc it basically to do how to improve the forum going forward instead of how it currently functions in the site.

So it requires a forum lock si we can identify areas of improvement, plan ways to achieve the direction of making the forum what it was designed for,so no conspiracy's here I'm afraid.

The forum was attracting posters and readers what more do you want :confused:

Boards does want posters and readers?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

The plot moistens

You can still reply if using beta version of site. Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    You can still reply if using beta version of site. Heh.

LOL another bug !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Folks this tread started out as a place to give feedback re technical issues affecting the site. Then it served to cater for updates & info re the DDoS the site suffered. Then it changed to become feedback on the new beta. Now it's about the temporary closure of the cafe. It's become a very vague & general feedback thread for anything & everything, which as feedback goes, is a real nightmare to gain anything positive from.

The Cafe has been temporarily closed to allow the forum to undergo a transition. It's gotten pretty bad in there by all accounts, so the mods have requested it be temp closed while they have a chat between themselves, the Cmods, & the Admin team, to figure out how to turn the place around. That can't be done while they have to actively moderate, and this closure will give an opportunity to make some functional changes to how the forum operates. That's literally all there is to it. It'll be back open before long, but for now, it's closed for new posts. I'm not sure how that rogue post got in, but will check it out.

In terms of this thread, it'll likely be closed off soon as the original topic of the thread has been resolved. We'll move any Beta related chat to a proper Beta feedback thread so nothing will be lost. The cafe chat doesn't belong here though, & if it turns into pages of posts about the Cafe this thread will be closed immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Myrddin wrote: »
    Folks this tread started out as a place to give feedback re technical issues affecting the site. The it served to cater for updates & info re the DDoS the site suffered. Then it changed to become feedback on the new beta. Now it's about the temporary closure of the cafe. It's become a very vague & general feedback thread for anything & everything, which as feedback goes, is a real nightmare to gain anything positive from.

It all fits under the title heading though, and its been the ONLY place where we have actually been able to have communication with the higher in command.

You cannot post such a vague statement and not allow users to question it here! Its ridiculous.

Actions such as this will contribute to the death of Boards.ie, even idoits know that it's stupid to piss off your audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

**puts on tinfoil hat**

How'd this post made about ten mins ago slip through?

I created a cat gifs thread! http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057590725#99532995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

This thread should be kept open as a general feedback thread on the current ongoings of the site where we can discuss what's happening rather than be told what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It all fits under the title heading though...
    This thread should be kept open as a general feedback thread on the current ongoings of the site where we can discuss what's happening rather than be told what's happening.

A general feedback thread isn't happening, you couldn't pay someone to trawl through it answering different questions about different things day in day out. If you want to submit feedback on the new Beta, there's a Beta feedback thread. If you want to submit feedback on technical issues, use this thread. If you want to submit feedback on an issue that doesn't have its own thread, create one (don't do this for the Cafe though, the reasons have been explained & it'll be back live very soon anyway). Using one catch all thread for everything is a sure fire way of your feedback being missed. Feedback needs to be structured, organised, and coherent, if it's to be considered worthwhile and stand any chance of effecting positive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

On a different topic: I can't use the legacy site at all because when I try to if I go to the most recent page of a thread it redirects me to the first page of that thread. It's not possible for me to view the most recent page. It started happening after the new site was rolled out and just for 1 or 2 threads at first, now it does it for all threads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

JT26 wrote: »
    I would take the tinfoil hats off lads nothing to do with DOB,Irish water etc it basically to do how to improve the forum going forward instead of how it currently functions in the site.

So it requires a forum lock si we can identify areas of improvement, plan ways to achieve the direction of making the forum what it was designed for,so no conspiracy's here I'm afraid.

Great timing, genuinely.

Poor decision whoever made it.

Why isn't this thread Irish Water thread reopened, not in the cafe???

No refunds for families who paid water charges.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057567940&page=53

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks GF.

Frankly there's never a good time to do something like this and we're trying something new, per my vague note please bear with us during this interruption. Service will resume hopefully shortly and once we have something to share we'll post updates to keep everyone informed. Right now we've shared what we have - the forum is closed for review. It's as simple as that. A review.

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Cafe has been temporarily closed to allow the forum to undergo a transition. It's gotten pretty bad in there by all accounts, so the mods have requested it be temp closed while they have a chat between themselves, the Cmods, & the Admin team, to figure out how to turn the place around. That can't be done while they have to actively moderate, and this closure will give an opportunity to make some functional changes to how the forum operates. That's literally all there is to it. It'll be back open before long, but for now, it's closed for new posts. I'm not sure how that rogue post got in, but will check it out.

Myrddin if that was posted instead of vague notice then no one would have posted here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nothing like the very unusual move of closing a Political forum and then demanding that nobody can talk about it to open a massive can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Fair point Gandalf.
    What I was trying to avoid was actually exactly this where posters would then try to guess if it was a specific post / thread / poster that was prompting the review. So I erred on the side of caution and just said the forum is under review at the moment but we'd post an update shortly.

Clearly I fupped up on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Taltos wrote: »
    Fair point Gandalf.
    What I was trying to avoid was actually exactly this where posters would then try to guess if it was a specific post / thread / poster that was prompting the review. So I erred on the side of caution and just said the forum is under review at the moment but we'd post an update shortly.

Clearly I fupped up on that one.

You should know by now that we are all a bunch of nosy gossiping barstewards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Taltos wrote: »
    Thanks GF.

Frankly there's never a good time to do something like this and we're trying something new, per my vague note please bear with us during this interruption. Service will resume hopefully shortly and once we have something to share we'll post updates to keep everyone informed. Right now we've shared what we have - the forum is closed for review. It's as simple as that. A review.

Frankly there couldn't have been a worse time, politically speaking, to close a political forum.

For a "review"??????

This is a stupid inexplicable decision which makes boards.ie look completely ridiculous and which should be reversed.

No one wants "updates".

Reverse the decision as soon as possible please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Frankly there couldn't have been a worse time, politically speaking, to close a political forum.

Yeah, weird timing alright.

Just as the country is about to get a new government, Ireland's biggest discussion forum closes down it's busiest political discourse area.

Bizarre, and yet another decision that flies in the face of common sense and makes the website look ever more amateurish in its dealings with it's common or garden users.

I mean, the method used to communicate the decision was cack-handed, at best, and the reasons proffered for the decision are stunning in their absurdity.

A "review" of a political forum. At one of the most politically sensitive times in the history of the state. It's almost as if the site doesn't want traffic.

Really, really strange.

But unsurprising.

Just checked and you can still post to it via the new beta site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

gandalf wrote: »

Your post disappeared like a shot though.

gandalf wrote: »

I've no idea what that is, but it sounds like it should be shut down too, just in case;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

For a "review"??????

This is a stupid inexplicable decision which makes boards.ie look completely ridiculous and which should be reversed.

No one wants "updates".

Reverse the decision as soon as possible please.

We should all cancel our dd's!

Redbishop wrote: »
    We should all cancel our dd's!

We should all be paid for providing the entertainment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hope I'm in the right place for this.....

In a couple of the "Talk To" threads, when I click on the little arrow under the thread title on the home/main page, which should bring me to the first unread post, it doesn't - it brings me to an apparently random post, the same one every time. I can get to the last post by scrolling up or down and using the page numbers and then scrolling again.

It's currently happening in two "Talk To" threads that I've been following this evening.

Not exactly life or death (of me, or the forum) but annoying all the same.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hope I'm in the right place for this.....

In a couple of the "Talk To" threads, when I click on the little arrow under the thread title on the home/main page, which should bring me to the first unread post, it doesn't - it brings me to an apparently random post, the same one every time. I can get to the last post by scrolling up or down and using the page numbers and then scrolling again.

It's currently happening in two "Talk To" threads that I've been following this evening.

Not exactly life or death (of me, or the forum) but annoying all the same.....
    I've been having the same problem for a few months. Most notably in the Netflix thread in the Virgin Media forum. It would always send me to the same post. Clearing cookies worked, for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Love to be a fly on the mod/admin private forum right now....

Been using the site since 05, and I have never seen this happen before, yeah, ok forums get closed for a time, but usually for maintenance or some such (as opposed for a "review") and there would usually be an apt, notice of intentions for a good while beforehand.

Its hard to believe it came before 10am the morning after a huge milestone of political importance, considering its the politics forum we're talking about.

It would be akin to shutting down the soccer forum after the conclusion of the premier league, or the GAA forum on All Ireland final day.

Harder to believe still, that users have been urged to.basically not talk about it.

Dam it boards. Your starting to scare me. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Love to be a fly on the mod/admin private forum right now....

Been using the site since 05, and I have never seen this happen before, yeah, ok forums get closed for a time, but usually for maintenance or some such (as opposed for a "review") and there would usually be an apt, notice of intentions for a good while beforehand.

Its hard to believe it came before 10am the morning after a huge milestone of political importance, considering its the politics forum we're talking about.

It would be akin to shutting down the soccer forum after the conclusion of the premier league, or the GAA forum on All Ireland final day.

Harder to believe still, that users have been urged to.basically not talk about it.

Dam it boards. Your starting to scare me. :mad:

Tbf, there is the main politics forum and a discussion there about needing another election.
    Water mentioned there today.
    I was on there for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Redbishop wrote: »
    Tbf, there is the main politics forum and a discussion there about needing another election.
    Water mentioned there today.
    I was on there for a while.

yeah but, Politics (General) has draconian posting rules, that quite clearly the majority of people can't be arsed with, proven by the recent downturn of traffic in that forum, and the upturn of traffic in the Café.

People just want to be able to shoot the shít about politics, without having to provide a bibliography for every post they make.

AH used to be that, and the Politics forum was for high brow content that actual politicos could use, and fair play to them, but then the office decided that AH wasn't the place for it and forced people into the Caf, and the high brow lads decided actually no, they aren't all that high brow after all and wanted to join in the joshing in the Caf.

Now that is making people uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness, you don't need a degree in political science or brain surgery to post in politics general, but yeah, people go where the discussion is (high or low brow). We've a superthread on the US election and for the most part it's working well, a happy medium seems to have been reached. (people will still post video only posts, no matter how many times we tell them to add a couple of lines!)

Political discussion is getting more fractious, take twitter, research was done on political posts on Twitter and people tend to stick to their own side with not much crossover, different to normal, day to day posting. Quantity matters and people seem to prefer to be at loggerheads than respectfully disagreeing. Such is the Internet!

On your post, nah, you're a good bit out but I can see why you might think that. As somebody who modded the cafe from the very, very start and modded it when it took off, (thought it never would, got that one wrong) we always hoped the high brow lads, as you call it, would post in the cafe. Personally I enjoy posting in the cafe or AH about politics from time to time, there shouldn't be an us vs. them to this whatsoever

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement