Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

smash wrote: »
    Given the current situation with the government, would it not be better to open it again and do a review at a later date? I'm honestly surprised it's still closed.
    No, it obviously suits someone to keep it closed.

Too many sacred cows were being toppled.

I don't think ye're responding to what you think you're responding to:
    Synode wrote: »
    Why has the Amazon thread in Bargain Alerts been closed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think ye're responding to what you think you're responding to:

You never know, maybe the government were selling IW shares on Amazon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

smash wrote: »
    You never know, maybe the government were selling IW shares on Amazon! :D

It's an Amazon Prime exclusive too, so you get stung twice :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Penn wrote: »
    It's an Amazon Prime exclusive too, so you get stung twice :D

I think there's two for the price of one in Specsavers at the moment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Absolute BS that water charges threads are being closed in AH...this is a massive current affair and people have nowhere to discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Absolute BS that water charges threads are being closed in AH...this is a massive current affair and people have nowhere to discuss it.

Yes its beginning to look a bit controlling now.
    Told its for the politics cafe, the rights and wrongs of water charges are not necessarily all to do with politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,562 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Redbishop wrote: »
    Yes its beginning to look a bit controlling now.
    Told its for the politics cafe, the rights and wrongs of water charges are not necessarily all to do with politics!

Seen the thread this morning and wondered what they would do with it seeing as all water related threads are supposed to go into the mega threads but the mega threads are located in PC. I guess we know the answer now.

mods are closing threads in AH and telling posters to start new ones in politics cafe.

Then, and this is the funny bit, the mods finish sentence off by saying the politics cafe is closed!!

WT actual F?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There'll be a few regulars from the Cafe having conniptions over the news about IW today

Pity the forum is closed. Would have been entertaining to see their meltdowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

mods are closing threads in AH and telling posters to start new ones in politics cafe.

Then, and this is the funny bit, the mods finish sentence off by saying the politics cafe is closed!!

WT actual F?

Joseph Heller would be proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There's a politics forum right here.

There's also an economics forum right here.

We have closed (for review) a forum that was generating levels of toxicity and unpleasantness that are completely unacceptable despite the best efforts of the mod team. It'll be back soon (probably today, but maybe tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why can't Irish Water be discussed in AH? It's not necessarily a political discussion. It's frustrating how restrictive this site is. This is something that's affecting everyone in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Dav wrote: »
    unfit for purpose, if anyone bothered to read feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Perhaps someone in Boards would kindly explain why all the Irish water threads are being locked in After Hours. I'm probably not alone in concluding this is the reason why the Politics Cafe is shut for review.

There are several threads over on Reddit Ireland discussing these topics atm, for anyone whose interested - no problem over there, so why here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Perhaps someone in Boards would kindly explain why all the Irish water threads are being locked in After Hours. I probably not alone in concluding this is the reason why the Politics Cafe is shut for review.

There are several threads over on Reddit Ireland discussing these topics atm, for anyone whose interested - no problem over there, so why here ?

In fairness, it's not AH mods fault that the politics cafe is closed.

They haven't been allowing political discussion for a while now. And yeah I know IW isn't really 100% political but every discussion invariably becomes political.

Boards' decision to have a 2 tier political forum is just backfiring on them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

62 days waiting for a government and just as we're on the cusp of it, as the most controversial tax in the history of the state is about to be abolished, you close discussion on it?

Maybe you need to forget about new formats or appearances of the site and realise that the problem isn't the appearance, it's this sort of nonsense. Who ever closed the politics cafe forum needs to grow up and realise it's only the internet, stop policing the forum like a water charge protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What's the point in closing a forum to review it?

Do the other forums close when they are getting a review? They do in their hole.

Or why not let the Irish water ****e talkers have a thread in after hours as a once off. It's not gonna break anything

• Registered Users Posts: 25,562 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In fairness lads (I agree that closing it at such an important time was a silly) it was kinda explained by David
    There's a politics forum right here.

There's also an economics forum right here.

We have closed (for review) a forum that was generating levels of toxicity and unpleasantness that are completely unacceptable despite the best efforts of the mod team. It'll be back soon (probably today, but maybe tomorrow).

It's not just about the aesthetics of the forum 8ts about the posting in it and I think that's what's being reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yes they do Moldy - just ask the Soccer forum when we closed it years ago for review and introduce it's current access system. I should think the facts that we have had to take these sorts of measures should highlight to people just what kind of a problem the Café was.

As I said, there are 2 other forums where discussion about current economic and political events can take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes they do Moldy - just ask the Soccer forum when we closed it years ago for review and introduce it's current access system. I should think the facts that we have had to take these sorts of measures should highlight to people just what kind of a problem the Café was.

As I said, there are 2 other forums where discussion about current economic and political events can take place.

Is the intent then that that people will need to "apply" for access to the Cafe when it's reopened?

I have to echo the comments here.. the stance Boards is taking on this is a bit nuts give the importance of the IW/Government formation issue.

Telling people to post in Politics (General) - which is an assault on the eyes just to look at the topics list, never mind the hugely OTT moderation style - or Economics is hardly a equivalent substitute.

I have to ask.. with this latest move and the attitude to responses around the New Site, what exactly IS going on with Boards at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

As a former mod of the main politics board,I did find the politics cafe bizarre
    Some of the threads there contained the same 5 or 6 posters cribbing at one another and no one else in the threads unaware it seems how unimportant in the real world their petty squabbling was

Often,given modding spidey senses never leave you,you'd cop banned posters re appearing posting the same cribbing
    Then theres the cardinal sin of debate,posters ignoring being debunked and going on a few posts or a few days later as if they weren't debunked looking to rise their usual nemesis's

The normal politics forum always worked well with rules that simply stopped the place from being stupid
    I wonder what Bonkey would think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

As a former mod of the main politics board,I did find the politics cafe bizarre
    Some of the threads there contained the same 5 or 6 posters cribbing at one another and no one else in the threads unaware it seems how unimportant in the real world their petty squabbling was

Often,given modding spidey senses never leave you,you'd cop banned posters re appearing posting the same cribbing
    Then theres the cardinal sin of debate,posters ignoring being debunked and going on a few posts or a few days later as if they weren't debunked looking to rise their usual nemesis's

The normal politics forum always worked well with rules that simply stopped the place from being stupid
    I wonder what Bonkey would think

Some of the threads on there were quite good - but TBH, any of the decent threads in PC would quite easily have me the standards required in the "main" Politics forum.

The biggest problem with PC wasn't the topics being debated, it was the attitude of many of the posters there, and the lack of moderation early on meant it spiralled out of control fast.
    Too many posters in there who think that continued personal abuse was a perfectly acceptable means of debate; too many re-reg's being ignored; and like you say, interminable arguments where both sides contsantly regurgitated debunked nonsense.

Based on the history of a lot of the posting in the Cafe, it's hard not to feel that a lot of the complaints about the "restrictive" rules in the main Politics forum boil down to posters not wanting to have to debate like mature adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The cafe itself as an idea certainly isn't the problem, at least I hope it isn't.

Think we've a 5 point plan now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Why can't Irish Water be discussed in AH? It's not necessarily a political discussion. It's frustrating how restrictive this site is. This is something that's affecting everyone in the country.

Any mention of Irish Water, rather, any criticism of it, is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Any mention of Irish Water, rather, any criticism of it, is frowned upon.

So that would be why there's how many superthreads on it, 8/9 must be close to 100,000 posts on it in the cafe.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

blackwhite wrote: »
    Based on the history of a lot of the posting in the Cafe, it's hard not to feel that a lot of the complaints about the "restrictive" rules in the main Politics forum boil down to posters not wanting to have to debate like mature adults.

I disagree... as someone who has no time for the pissing contests you describe, the issue with Politics (General) was the what I'd call self-important attitude the forum has of itself and this is reflected in the moderation style as a whole rather than any particular mod.

Not everyone has the in-depth knowledge or time to be posting libraries of links as demanded by the more "serious" forum, but more than that politics SHOULD be accessible to the everyman, and it's that purpose that the Cafe serves IMO

The issues there are a handful of entrenched posters who are carrying spats between threads (how every other topic derails into SF bashing for example) but that can be addressed by just clamping down a bit harder on some of the muppetry I think.

In fairness lads (I agree that closing it at such an important time was a silly) it was kinda explained by David

David! :pac:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

God dammit people, I'm outraged right now!! I can't be waiting for the place to reopen, it'll be old news and everyone will have moved on by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

David! :pac:

:)

Yeah, it just doesn't have the same air of mystique as Dav :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement