Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Most of these faults are so obvious and should have been picked up during an early phase of testing which should have been limited to a handful of users.
    There was an early phase of testing, limited to a handful of users. Most of the obvious faults were picked up and reported in the specific feedback forum.

Then they were all deleted (the threads there now were posted after the deletion) and the forum was abandoned by boards for 6 months

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Ad's blocking the menu now? sneaky tactics :pac:

Screen_Shot_2016_04_29_at_11_15_16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The problem in Talk To threads where you can't get to the last unread post but instead get brought to a random one (but always the same one, early on in the thread) is still there, if not worse.

There's a few of those threads that I'm following, and it's really annoying.

It's only a problem for me on the laptop, not on a tablet (where I'm also using the full site) or on the phone (where I use the touch site).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

On touch..mythreads clicking last post in this thread consistently brings me to first post i.e. here:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055492730#post99551348

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Actually, now that I think of it, that happens to me too if I am on a post on a thread while on the 'Responsive Site' and I try to switch to the 'Legacy' one. When it does switch over, instead of bringing me to the post I was on/I had opened, it brings me to the first page of that thread, but the 'First Unread Post' button isn't there any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I see we've been funted over to the new fancy-dan version of the site, whether we want to or not, in the best Microsoft tradition. Further to that tradition, it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I see we've been funted over to the new fancy-dan version of the site, whether we want to or not, in the best Microsoft tradition. Further to that tradition, it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^^^
    Looks like it's working twice as good ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^^^
    Looks like it's working twice as good ðŸ˜

The old emoticons are still the best. These new ones often appear as squiggly things.

Colon close bracket = Smile :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Esel wrote: »
    The old emoticons are still the best. These new ones often appear as squiggly things.

Colon close bracket = Smile :)
    No,I think the squiggly things are when people use their phones emoticons like they do in texts etc
    Those dont work

Heres a few tears of joy smileys from my phone for example and how they appear on boards 😂😂😂😂

They come up in the reply box seen correctly but dont transmit to the posted post because they are not and never were supported

These days you see that on posts a lot

• Advertisement

No,I think the squiggly things are when people use their phones emoticons like they do in texts etc
    Those dont work

Heres a few tears of joy smileys from my phone for example and how they appear on boards 😂😂😂😂

They come up in the reply box seen correctly but dont transmit to the posted post because they are not and never were supported

These days you see that on posts a lot
    That's right. Phone emoji doesn't work on the touch site. But it does work on the full site.

Karsini wrote: »
    That's right. Phone emoji doesn't work on the touch site. But it does work on the full site.

Now who in their right mind would not be using the touch site on their phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm on the full site and they don't work for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I use the fullfat version on Firefox on my HTC One M8 mobile phone- as its far easier to use certain features (such as the mod utilities) which are only available in a cutdown fashion on the mobile site.

Different users have different requirements- there is not a one size fits all approach that can or will work.

Also- the mobile version caches ridiculously on my mobile- I have to run ccleaner every couple of days- and regularly clear over a gig. If you have lots of apps installed- and a limited storage space in which to install them- having websites that gorge your storage space- simply isn't fair or reasonable. Boards isn't the worst offender- but its certainly on the list.

Full site test

😊👻😳

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

They appear in black/white on desktop, but in colour when using the App on phone Kars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I use the full site in my phone. I much prefer it to the touch site.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    They appear in black/white on desktop, but in colour when using the App on phone Kars.
    On a Mac they should appear in full colour. Windows doesn't support them the same way so you'll still see them, just not in full colour.

h3000 wrote: »
    I use the full site in my phone. I much prefer it to the touch site.
    I hate it because you need to move it around and double touch for bigger text
    Whereas in touch it's all the right size and neat
    I don't like the app because I prefer multiple tab browsing

Emoticon test IPAD Safari full site

������������

Edit... Nope not working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I hate it because you need to move it around and double touch for bigger text
    Whereas in touch it's all the right size and neat
    I don't like the app because I prefer multiple tab browsing

I don't really have any problems navigating the pages or reading the text. Each to their own I suppose.

A87E37BC-8D58-400B-BEEF-FF0ADBCCF1CA.png

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Full site test

😊👻😳

Awh cool, they're showing up on the touch site for me.

Been seeing those squiggles everywhere and had no idea what they were meant to be.

Edit: they don't render properly when quoted :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

the new site displays very little content on the home page, this coupled with the rendering issue I posted about meant I've spent less time on the site lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

New site is an awful experience.
    Links unresponsive, layout awful.
    Generally its a disaster. If I released a site that buggy id be given the boot straight away.
    How could you let this mess live.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

I've noticed something. On the new "improved" :rolleyes: site (which is all that i can access on opera mini), new posts on threads don't appear for hours after posting. I've noticed multiple times over the past week that if I refresh a thread on mobile that I see no new posts. When I then go to the trusty awesome vbulletin version on the laptop theres new posts waiting for me from up to six hours ago.
    So there, another bug for you to add to your list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

More 522 errors, again just around 02.00, has happened on work and home computer aswell as phone over the last couple of weeks for approximately half an hour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Why does m.boards.ie not work for me?
    I get a landing page then error messages

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Error 522 popping up there and access patchy

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Unable to access the site for the last half an hour, kept getting cloudflare error messages

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Me too. Only just getting patchy access now. (In France, on the desktop site, on Firefox)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement