Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It is rare enough alright, but its still annoying to expect somebody to trawl through a thread looking for some warning that has been handed out, or else risk posting and getting a ban.

Fair enough. I take your point.
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Posts should at least be directly linked to, it's not difficult to do.

For example;

Mod warning on post #2257

I don't know if we can do that for thread titles though as the title as a whole is already a link. A "Please read OP" might be a better addendum for the title.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

We should at this stage be able to force a 'floating' mod warning post into the thread wherever you join. If you're entering the thread for the first time the mod warning post is shown first, just above post #1, if you're jumping back into a thread you've visited before the warning post is still shown first, just above post #whatever.

I have no idea how you do this, who here is good at the internets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

On Touch. Boat Browser.
    Just quoted a post and added an approx 120 character reply.
    Got a message/pop up telling me my post was too short.
    Tapped back and got a Facebook login page!!!

100% sure I did nothing that could bring me to Facebook. My detest of that particular site is well known and there is absolutely no way I could have ended up there accidentally.

Please tell me ye aren't planning to link up with them in some way.

Edit: When I tried to post this I get 'internal server error'. I'll try again.

^
    Worked this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ We / they are watching you. Everything you do. Click? Sick? We there.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I'm getting Cloudflare 522, 'Website Offline' errors on and off this morning
    Legacy site - Windows 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Lumi wrote: »
    I'm getting Cloudflare 522, 'Website Offline' errors on and off this morning
    Legacy site - Windows 10
    Same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

So, given that the DDoS has been a big part of the blame for the sites traffic woes, how much of the blame can now be placed on CloudFlare? I've read that lots of people outside of the country, have to do captcha's and such, to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hello cloudflare my old friend

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Getting Error 522 most of the time for the last 15 minutes or so, both on main site and touch site on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Russian teenager didn't get his payment this week.

Getting the same here as well, using firefox via Eir(com) DSL

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had a look on the twitter feed on the off chance there'd be something about site issues, nothing at all posted to the twitter feed in four days.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had a look on the twitter feed on the off chance there'd be something about site issues, nothing at all posted to the twitter feed in four days.

Checked fb and twitter too, nowt since 19th, then again the errors haven't been too frequent in the last while after the nightly interruptions that were happening a couple of weeks ago.

seems OK again.
    I've probably jinxed it now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

seems OK again.
    I've probably jinxed it now!

Shh! The gremlins might hear you! Yup i'm insider trading ;)

Shh! The gremlins might hear you! Yup i'm insider trading ;)
    It's OK the gremlim's are deaf. ;)

Hello cloudflare my old friend

Brilliant!

@ c. 22:41, got

Error 520 Ray ID "xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Who is Ray, and why do I need his ID? :)

Same 520 error 15 minutes later.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I think Twitter & FB are just manned during business hours.

Boards was open for business, narky bouncer that is Cloudflare said "Not tonight bud"

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I think Twitter & FB are just manned during business hours.

Boards was open for business, narky bouncer that is Cloudflare said "Not tonight bud"
    Potential customers go elsewhere, and don't come back when the site is offline.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Whats with the new GOD EDIT MODE?

I've noticed a few moderator/admin edits that have no indication other than the changed text that there has been an edit and no indication of who did the editing or when.

I'll assume that this is something that is wrong with the site and not something that is wrong with the way the site is being moderated?

Post 4 http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057600859 and the title of http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057486340 are examples.

my3cents wrote: »
    Whats with the new GOD EDIT MODE?

I've noticed a few moderator/admin edits that have no indication other than the changed text that there has been an edit and no indication of who did the editing or when.

I'll assume that this is something that is wrong with the site and not something that is wrong with the way the site is being moderated?

Post 4 http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057600859 and the title of http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057486340 are examples.
    IIRC, edits by an admin aren't reported. So if Niamh edited a post, it wouldn't show as edited by her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pages not loading fully this morning- if you click on a link around 50% of the time you get a blank white page, no error message whatsoever- just a blank, not fully loaded page.

Same on Virgin Media and a BT Leased line.

Touch site just showing a black screen on my mobile.... full site working perfectly on the laptop.

Anyone else getting this? All other sites working ok on the phone... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm using touch with no issues

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm using touch with no issues
    Still black and blank here :(

ETA - back working again. Dunno what that was all about.....

Fine here. Try clearing cache etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ongoing problem for me is the constant disabling of my browser by some "scripts" that fail to function.

If I leave Boards open in Firefox, more often than not eventually the browser will freeze for a minute or two and a "Stop script" Dialog box will appear. It usually doesnt work to stop the script and I'll bring up the task manager and kill it manually.

I dont know whats causing these scripts to run but I do know Boards is responsible. Close it and the issue doesn't occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What's the script? It should say it on the dialog box

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

28064212 wrote: »
    What's the script? It should say it on the dialog box

its a generic dialog, i'll screen capture it next time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement