Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

:o completely derped and just looked at the top post, yeah I'm totally wrong!

You might need to become more obsessed like us whose lives start crumbling to pieces once the boards site won't load :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ said boards was down for everyone during that period

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Search is back but don't think posts are being indexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What is 'turn beta on' at the bottom of the page on Touch supposed to do? I'm not seeing anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Any update from HQ at all? Its very frustrating. (I am actually a subscriber so I do contribute!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Any update from HQ at all? Its very frustrating. (I am actually a subscriber so I do contribute!)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/97379825

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I turned beta on and now I can't get it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Have you tried turning it off from the front page? It used to be that that link didn't work from any of the other pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You might be able to in the user CP

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

but you might need to log out as well. Hard to know with this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

nesf wrote: »
    Have you tried turning it off from the front page? It used to be that that link didn't work from any of the other pages.

Aye got it sorted there now, was a bit of a mad panic for a while there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I like the look of the beta but I had to turn it off as there didn't appear to be a button to go to first unread post in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Liking the look of beta as well. Big thumbs up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How do you get on the Beta?

If you go down to the very bottom of the home page there should be a Turn beta on link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The need for the more visible link to the Talk To forums is understandable, but if you don't need to use one of those forums, it's a bit of a pain seeing them to the side of every page in every thread. Could they not be set to appear on the homepages only? The rest of the redesign makes it very easy and obvious to find the link to those forums outside of the homepage anyway.

Also, I have ads turned off. Can it be programmed to remove the gap where the ads would normally be?

And there is a lot of wasted space in the My Forums dropdown menu. The columns themselves are wide but the text is squashed into about half the width of the column.

Penn wrote: »
    Also, I have ads turned off. Can it be programmed to remove the gap where the ads would normally be?

:pac::pac: Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Synode wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »

:pac::pac: Are you serious?
    Ads turned off via the subscriber's features, not by using an ad blocker. On the existing site with ads turned off, there's no gap left between posts where there would be an ad, it's just post after post after post. On the beta site, there's now just a gap between some posts where there would be an ad. All I'm saying is that if the option to have ads turned off (as a subscriber perk) is to be kept, it should be programmed that there is no gap as per the existing site.

Apologies. I thought you meant via an ad blocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Liking the look of beta as well. Big thumbs up!

It's ugly as sin at the moment. Drop down menu covers the entire width of the screen, even if there's only 4 or 5 topics displayed. Plenty of screen estate to the right left bare, I expect this is a bug though.

It looks like a mobile site.

You have your opinion, I have mine. When it's fully finished I think it'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I'm sure this has been posted a gazillion times already... but the search function doesn't seem to be showing posts from the past 24 hours when I search for "all posts by user," namely myself. Just an FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Beta is terrible. When you click on the top menus. How do you get out of them? It takes up the whole screen so you can't scroll down. You've to go up, wait for it to minimize and then try go down really quick. What moron thought that was a good idea. Plus no direct link to User CP like there is currently.

It's like someone done it as a first year project for college, and they're real proud of it but the reality is that it's a stinking turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

A bit of feed back on why it's still f1ucked would help as well. Communication is the key her lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

naughto wrote: »
    A bit of feed back on why it's still f1ucked would help as well. Communication is the key her lads

It's over a week we've being talking to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's ugly as sin at the moment. Drop down menu covers the entire width of the screen, even if there's only 4 or 5 topics displayed. Plenty of screen estate to the right left bare, I expect this is a bug though.

It looks like a mobile site.

Welcome to the new mobile friendly web. Get used to websites pretending your monitor is in portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

another meltdown today about an hour ago, out for about 30 mins for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I got two pms from someone last night. The pms were blank and that person did not send them to me!

Can't understand how there's so many unresolved issues. Did yous not have a testing plan when making changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Search function not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I tried the beta brefly this morning...

Good points:
    - At least the top-level menu is better than the "tempoary" one we've been saddled with for months

Bad points:
    - It looks like a mobile site. Grand if you're on a phone or tablet I suppose, but for those of us with actual monitors and laptops/desktops the amount of wasted space is massive!!!

- Can't find the User CP and thus the option to switch on the dark theme (which I assume will be available?) as the default color scheme is almost as hard on the eyes as the current default on the production site.

- Why do we need a list of Stickies inside a thread? That with my point on the mobile site means lots of scrolling needed. Plus the seperation between these and the actual thread content isn't clear.

I'm assuming there's still much work to do yet??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement