Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour kids don't go to school

Options
  • 05-10-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

During the summer a family with 4 kids moved into the house next to me in my estate. I work odd hours in my job so I'm often around during the day. You can hear them playing and screaming outside all the time, but I'm not here to complain about that - it's just easy to tell when they're about.

Summer ended and the schools started back over a month ago, however from what I can see these kids don't go to school. They're at home, playing in the estate 7 days a week.

They're primary school aged... I'm pretty sure school is mandatory right? And should this situation be reported or left alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It should be reported to the DSW, however parents can teach their children at home but the dept still need to know and they have to be registered as home schooled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

It's not really your problem. If that was my neighbour I wouldn't get involved. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Whether they are home schooled or going to school, or not in your case, it shouldn't really matter to you.

You can always just report it if you felt that it was borthering you but you won't know what the consequences are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    It's not really your problem. If that was my neighbour I wouldn't get involved. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Whether they are home schooled or going to school, or not in your case, it shouldn't really matter to you.

You can always just report it if you felt that it was borthering you but you won't know what the consequences are

The consequence s will probably be that the parents are obstructed to get their kids in school if they are not homeschooled.
    The end result for the kids will be that they will possess numeracy and literacy skills which they wouldn't have if they weren't schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I completely disagree. We all have a moral obligation to those in this country who can't speak up for themselves.
    You do know that if they aren't in a school (homed or otherwise) then they're not getting an education. It may just be that the parents aren't aware of what our rules and norms are. Or they could be travellers. Or holidaying with the adults. Or a myriad of other reasons.
    Call the local social workers, they'll be out and will find out quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not really your problem. If that was my neighbour I wouldn't get involved. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

If your partner, or even just a random burglar, decides to beat the living c*ap out of you then I hope that your neighbours don't take the same attitude.

OP, if you think a crime is being committed, then you have a civic responsibility to report it to the relevant authorities. For urgent issues, that's the guards. For child welfare issues, you'll need to google who to report it to - just search for "ireland child neglect reporting" or something similar.

Update: now that this thread has changed forums, I'm game to post the relevant link. Read this: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/services_and_supports_for_children/child_abuse.html

Not sending your kid to school is depriving him/her of intellectual stimulation.

Note: you are not the one making a judgement about what is going on, whether it is neglect etc. That judgement, and what to do about it, is up to the professionals who get your complaints. You are simply reporting evidence of a possible crime to relevant authorities for them to act on. It really is basic citizenship stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

If the children are enrolled in school, the school will report the issue to the appropriate authorities if they miss more than 20 days per school year. An education welfare officer then deals with the case which could have an innocent explanation eg illness.
    Indeed maybe these children are being home schooled.
    However if you don't know and are worried, speak to one of the regional offices below.
    I've dealt with them before they genuinely only wanted to be helpful.

Tusla – Child and Family Agency,
    Floors 2-5,
    Brunel Building,
    Heuston South Quarter,
    Dublin 8. 01-7718500
    South/South-East

Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wicklow (East)

Educational Welfare Service
    Child and Family Agency,
    Heritage Business Park,
    Bessboro Road
    Blackrock,
    Cork

021-2428611

West/North-West

Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Longford, Westmeath, Offaly, Laois

Child and Family Agency,
    Unit 19 Sandyfort Business Centre
    Grealishtown,
    Bohermore
    Galway

091-385302

North Dublin/North Leinster

Louth, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan
    Dublin North

Child and Family Agency,
    Block 3, Floor 1
    Grove Court
    Blanchardstown,
    Dublin 15

01-8103260

South Dublin and environs

Kildare, Wicklow (West)
    Dublin South

Child and Family Agency,
    Floors 2-5,
    Brunel Building,
    Heuston South Quarter,
    Dublin 8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

It should be reported to the DSW, however parents can teach their children at home but the dept still need to know and they have to be registered as home schooled

It is possible I suppose but it would be very rare. One thing that would be a give away would be for the OP to consider whether the estate in which this family reside would be considered "good" or whether it is somewhere that is more working class with antisocial behaviour problems and what sort of characters the parents seem to be. If the latter, homeschooling is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

It is possible I suppose but it would be very rare. One thing that would be a give away would be for the OP to consider whether the estate in which this family reside would be considered "good" or whether it is somewhere that is more working class with antisocial behaviour problems and what sort of characters the parents seem to be. If the latter, homeschooling is highly unlikely.

The estate itself is quite good, it's mainly postgrads and young professionals. The house in question was originally a nama property and became a council house.

Thanks very much for all of the information everyone! I definitely feel the moral obligation to report it, even if it's a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I,ts legal to homeschool children ,
    i think you have to tell the dept of education about it.
    You cant just not register them for the local school .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

OP doesn't say what age they think the kids are. Some schools won't enroll kids if until they are 5 years old so if the kids are young enough they may not be going to school until next year. If they are old enough then yeah, defo ring the department about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If kids are being deprived of an education and neglected it should be reported. Turning a blind eye is the wrong thing to do when kids are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Moved from accommodation & property

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

4 kids can be extremely loud!!
    Have you ever spoken to the parents not about school but in general?
    It might turn out that they are home schooled or all under 6 or it might turn out that the parents don't bother sending them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

If they are playing outside all day, it doesn't sound like they are getting much "home-schooling". Sounds like it should be reported alright.

Advertisement