Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'no-dig' method

Options
  • 05-10-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I'm 'considering' using the no dig method to start a vegetable garden this year, so that it will be ready in the spring
    I cannot dig currently as I have strained my back

I don't know anyone in real life that has tried it. I have been reading lots, but would appreciate any feedback/advice from anyone here?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Can you get hold of some straw bales? even old ones? That is the easiest method. place them in the shape of a bed. Add some manure to the top, over the winter empty a chamber pot or get the men to pee regularly on it and next spring make some pockets, fill with compost and plant. t works....
    Another way is to lay cardoard, make a few holes in it and them pile organic material on it. If you have access to some compost, all the better. Again regular 'watering' is a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It wouldn't be an ideal time to start as decomposition will slow to nearly nothing over the winter. But covering with cardboard or plastic might encourage worms up to do a lot of the work, especially if you have manure mixed in. But start it now anyway and like yellowlabrador says you can make planting pockets in the area if the soil isn't up to scratch yet come the Spring. Throwing on nettles and all weed leaves and grass clippings is also great for the soil. As are raw food scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds, soft plant clippings, shredded cardboard ...

Advertisement