Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Village Rent Refund

Options
  • 05-10-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently renting in a Student Accommodation village in Limerick and after just one month there I've realised I've made a terrible mistake. One of my housemates is constantly partying until all hours and I'm starting to lose sleep, which is now affecting my performance in college. I've went to management about this, but their attitude has been very lazy in trying to help me find a new apartment in the village, so I've began looking at the possibility of finding a room elsewhere.
    My problem is I paid my accommodation for the year up front, which now I can see was such a bad move.
    Does anyone know if I am entitled to any of this back? Particularly the second semester. If I decide I'm unhappy here and would like to move am I entitled to the rent I paid in advance back? Please say I am :).
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Hi,
    I'm currently renting in a Student Accommodation village in Limerick and after just one month there I've realised I've made a terrible mistake. One of my housemates is constantly partying until all hours and I'm starting to lose sleep, which is now affecting my performance in college. I've went to management about this, but their attitude has been very lazy in trying to help me find a new apartment in the village, so I've began looking at the possibility of finding a room elsewhere.
    My problem is I paid my accommodation for the year up front, which now I can see was such a bad move.
    Does anyone know if I am entitled to any of this back? Particularly the second semester. If I decide I'm unhappy here and would like to move am I entitled to the rent I paid in advance back? Please say I am :).
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Write a formal complaint letter and ask for a reply in writing from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

What does your rental contract say about early termination?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

Thanks for your replies. Just regarding the the letter of complaint, I've written a fairly detailed email last night/this morning outlining the problems I'm having in this apartment. So far I have not received a reply. Will this be of any use when/if I get one? What should I do with it?

My rental terms and conditions do not seem to say anything that says I'm not eligible for a refund, in fact it does say something about anybody being in breach of the rules in the T&C will not receive any refunds. I need to go to reception and get my copy of my lease. I was never given a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Thanks for your replies. Just regarding the the letter of complaint, I've written a fairly detailed email last night/this morning outlining the problems I'm having in this apartment. So far I have not received a reply. Will this be of any use when/if I get one? What should I do with it?

My rental terms and conditions do not seem to say anything that says I'm not eligible for a refund, in fact it does say something about anybody being in breach of the rules in the T&C will not receive any refunds. I need to go to reception and get my copy of my lease. I was never given a copy.

I had this same problem in college. Questioned in regards to landlords obligation to provide peaceful and addequete accommodation. Got nowhere. As far as i understood student apartments/villages like that differ in that they are not considered private residential . either way they werent given anything back. Your persistence may pay off but it might also be that the option of moving within the village is the most manageable.

Disclaimer. This is purely based on personal experience . i have no knowledge of related laws.

Best of luck all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One of my housemates is constantly partying until all hours and I'm starting to lose sleep
    Check with the SU, and see if there's any houses that are trying to get rid of a party person who are disrupting others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Engineering a swap between yourself and someone who is also a party animal and might fit better with your current housemates, might be the most practical option. it will be very difficult for you to get your money back.

Advertisement