Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany - 08/10/2015 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS1

• 05-10-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

1966143_w2.jpg

FAI.png
    VS

photo.jpg
    Republic of Ireland squad: David Ford (Milwall), Shay Given (Stoke City), Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Richar Keogh (Derby County), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Derby County), John O’Shea (Sunderland), Alex Pearce (Derby County), Paul McShane (Reading), Stephen Ward (Burnley), Robbie Brady (Norwich City), Marc Wilson (Stoke City), James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Derby County), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Aiden McGeady (Everton), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Alan Judge (Brentford), David Meyler (Hull City), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Eunan O’Kane (Bournemouth), Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town).
    Germany squad: Neuer (Bayern Munich), ter Stegen (Barcelona), Leno (Bayer Leverkusen); Ginter, Hummels (both Borussia Dortmund), Can (Liverpool), Boateng (Bayern Munich), Hector (Cologne), Mustafi (Valencia), Rudy (Hoffenheim); Bellarabi, Kramer (both Bayer Leverkusen), Gundogan, Reus (both Borussia Dortmund), Kroos (Real Madrid), Muller, Gotze (both Bayern Munich), Ozil (Arsenal), Schurrle (Wolfsburg), Schweinsteiger (Man Utd); Podolski (Galatasaray), Kruse (Wolfsburg), Volland (Hoffenheim).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

If O'Neill doesn't get third place on Sunday then he should be sacked.

The performances under him have been worse than Trappatoni.

The very least he can get is results.

He'll probably leave himself should this be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya got to fancy Germany by 2 here.

If we can somehow score first you never know.

It would be nice for welcome win and performance but I reckon could be long night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Alex Meier wrote: »
    If O'Neill doesn't get third place on Sunday then he should be sacked.

The performances under him have been worse than Trappatoni.

The very least he can get is results.

He'll probably leave himself should this be the case.

What?

We're playing the World Champions.

Get a grip.

I'd imagine for most fans it'll be one eye on events in Glasgow.

A point would be a great result.

cson wrote: »
    What?

We're playing the World Champions.

Get a grip.

I'd imagine for most fans it'll be one eye on events in Glasgow.

A point would be a great result.

If you read what I posted I never called for any type of result against the Germans.

We've only beaten two teams in this campaign under O'Neill: Georgia (ranked 110) and Gibraltar (who aren't even in FIFA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Never thought I'd find myself hoping for a dull nil-all encounter, but I think that is just what is called for in this scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I think we're going to miss Whelan.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Does a point guarantee us third ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Does a point guarantee us third ?

Not if Scotland beat Poland.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Looking forward to this as always when the two are playing. I would always support Ireland but not in this one, sorry.

On paper should be an easy one to call, but Ireland have a habit of getting results from us. But it will be one way street for most of the match I reckon and the German players are too much on form at the moment to be dropping the ball again. Anything between a draw or a comprehensive win for Germany.

I've heard a lot of people, who actually go to the matches, say that Whelan does an incredible amount of work off the ball, which the at home viewer can't appreciate since that kind of thing is seldom captured by the TV cameras. If that's true, then yes, the team probably will miss Whelan. It was silly of him to backtalk the referee like that and pick up that yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Boskowski wrote: »
    Looking forward to this as always when the two are playing. I would always support Ireland but not in this one, sorry.

On paper should be an easy one to call, but Ireland have a habit of getting results from us. But it will be one way street for most of the match I reckon and the German players are too much on form at the moment to be dropping the ball again. Anything between a draw or a comprehensive win for Germany.

A draw will qualify you. Happy to put myself forward as a representative for high level talks with yourself to not bother playing the game and each take a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Totally agree with Whelan being a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He will be missed. Gibson hasn't played much recently. Meyler and Hendrick the other options with Quinn out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

briany wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of people, who actually go to the matches, say that Whelan does an incredible amount of work off the ball, which the at home viewer can't appreciate since that kind of thing is seldom captured by the TV cameras. If that's true, then yes, the team probably will miss Whelan. It was silly of him to backtalk the referee like that and pick up that yellow.
    Can't say I've noticed it too much myself. But I guess in relation to the joke that McCarthy's application has been this campaign he comes up trumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

With Ireland being Ireland and playing against the world champions, I'll happily take a draw stalemate if it guarantees us third place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

A 0-0 draw will be fine but then again we are playing against the best in the world.

Although I hate France, I would love to see the Boys in Green at the Euros :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought our only hope was for a legendary backs-to-the-wall display, yet MON now says we are going to go at Germany.

I don't think it will end well if we do. Can't see anything other than an away win in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think we might scrape a nil all. A draw will get Germany through and if it's nil all at half time maybe the German superstars might just think that will do.

The majority are playing champions league and wont see the need to bust a gut and run themselves into the ground when it's not a neccessity. If Ireland are organized and have huge workrate and intensity we might be getting the Germans on a good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

NIMAN wrote: »
    I thought our only hope was for a legendary backs-to-the-wall display, yet MON now says we are going to go at Germany.

I don't think it will end well if we do. Can't see anything other than an away win in this one.

We'll get well beaten if we go at them!
    Germany will win this comfortably, I'd say 2-0 with Muller amongst the goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I expect Ireland to lose this easily. The real game is the Poland Scotland one and with the form Lewandowski is in hopefully they can win that and then a nice 0-0 between Ireland and Poland would be a good result for both teams.

Ireland 1-0 & John O'Shea to repeat his Gelsenkirchen heroics is 90/1.

Surely one could dream?

I expect Ireland to lose this easily. The real game is the Poland Scotland one and with the form Lewandowski is in hopefully they can win that and then a nice 0-0 between Ireland and Poland would be a good result for both teams.

Once Poland win on Thurs aren't we guaranteed 3rd spot?

kfallon wrote: »
    Once Poland win on Thurs aren't we guaranteed 3rd spot?

Yes, if Scotland lose to Poland then they'll be at least 4 points down on Ireland with one game to go.

Dream scenario is a draw in both games. Puts Scotland out while giving Ireland a chance to snatch second in the final game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's sport. Anything can happen. Don't lose the capacity to dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

Yes, if Scotland lose to Poland then they'll be at least 4 points down on Ireland with one game to go.

Dream scenario is a draw in both games. Puts Scotland out while giving Ireland a chance to snatch second in the final game.

Well - dream scenario would be a win for Ireland and Scotland. this would put us 1 point ahead of Poland and only needing a Draw in Warsaw to qualify second.

Unlikely but it is dream scenario!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any time I've expected Ireland to do something in a game and finally deliver whats expected or hoped of them, they've ultimately let me down. So i'm not going into this game thinking "maybe this will be the one where we get a result (a la the dutch in 01)". Instead I'm going in thinking 1-3 to zee Germans.

Bit of reverse psychology in the hope we scrape a nil all !!

obriendj wrote: »
    Well - dream scenario would be a win for Ireland and Scotland. this would put us 1 point ahead of Poland and only needing a Draw in Warsaw to qualify second.

Unlikely but it is dream scenario!!

On International weekends, I suddenly come down with a touch of superstition. I don't want to even mention the W word when it comes to Germany, that it might tempt fate and lead to a morale-staggering defeat. What I'm saying here is also the Irish sporting inferiority complex in a nutshell, but that's how it is. To me, v. Germany, a draw would feel like a victory. I don't know what an actual victory would feel like. It's been so long since Ireland has had one in competition v. a big team that I forget.

On International weekends, I suddenly come down with a touch of superstition. I don't want to even mention the W word when it comes to Germany, that it might tempt fate and lead to a morale-staggering defeat. What I'm saying here is also the Irish sporting inferiority complex in a nutshell, but that's how it is. To me, v. Germany, a draw would feel like a victory. I don't know what an actual victory would feel like. It's been so long since Ireland has had one in competition v. a big team that I forget.

1st September 2001 (14 years ago) vs Holland with Jason McAteer scoring the only goal was literally the last time.

The 1-1 draw again Germany in 2002 WC felt like a win.

• Advertisement

You have to say that there's something more going on with Ireland when it's been that long between big wins. You'll get a handful of those results every qualifying period where a small team scalps a bigger team, but it's been nearly 15 years since Ireland has benefitted from one of these statistical aberrations.

You have to say that there's something more going on with Ireland when it's been that long between big wins. You'll get a handful of those results every qualifying period where a small team scalps a bigger team, but it's been nearly 15 years since Ireland has benefitted from one of these statistical aberrations.

I've a feeling it'll get worse before it gets better but I really hope I'm wrong.

Teams we've beaten in meaningful games since Holland '01 have been:

Gibraltar, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Faroe Islands, Estonia, Armenia, Andorra, Macedonia, Cyprus, Wales, Slovakia, San Marino, Albania, Saudi Arabia, Iran.

Wales could be seen as a decent result but this was well before the 'FIFA Top 10 ranking'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Wes sat out training today and Coleman hasn't trained either. Add that to Whelan and McClean gone through suspension and Wilson and Clarke out injured and that's a good few missing. Hopefully it was only a precaution with Wes.

Is Cyrus Christie still injured as well? With coleman looking like he might not make it, it could be McShane at right back. Possible team of:

Given
    McShane-O'Shea-Keogh-Brady
    Walters-Meyler-McCarthy-Hendrick
    Hoolahan
    Long

???

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Is Cyrus Christie still injured as well? With coleman looking like he might not make it, it could be McShane at right back. Possible team of:

Given
    McShane-O'Shea-Keogh-Brady
    Walters-Meyler-McCarthy-Henrick-McGeady
    Hoolahan
    Long

???

Germany are allowing us have an extra man are they? :p

hogey143 wrote: »
    Germany are allowing us have an extra man are they? :p

Ha ha, tis only fair after we signed the book of condolences that time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

3 points no problem here, 2-0 in the end with a Hummels OG and a Keane penalty in the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

3-0 Germany.

Where will the German team stay when in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

FatherTed wrote: »
    3 points no problem here, 2-0 in the end with a Hummels OG and a Keane penalty in the last minute.

Gwan Ted

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Heard they are staying in the old Four Seasons in Ballsbridge!
    Defo not Citywest anyway unless they are going to the darts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

We're due a win against a team ranked above us.

On that basis, I'll be wildly optimistic and say it's going to happen this week against either Germany or Poland. As Lloyd said; it's sport & we shouldn't lose the capacity to dream. :)

cson wrote: »
    We're due a win against a team ranked above us.

On that basis, I'll be wildly optimistic and say it's going to happen this week against either Germany or Poland. As Lloyd said; it's sport & we shouldn't lose the capacity to dream. :)

Ireland have to actually go and make that kind of thing happen. I'd say if Ireland have been playing proactive football and taking the game to teams, then the team is due a big win, but there is no real evidence that the team plans on playing like this. So, if Ireland plan on playing a cagey game, then the best you can hope for in a big win is that the other team has a total, total howler, or Ireland clings on for 90 minutes before snatching an unlikely goal in injury time. That would make for a big win, but a stolen one nonetheless. Not a basis to believe the team's improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Dream result for me is poland to beat scotland.

Who here wouldnt have taken a playoff spot when the draw was made?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Outside all night with the sirens?

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Dream result for me is poland to beat scotland.

Who here wouldnt have taken a playoff spot when the draw was made?

The consensus about the group was that Poland would be a challenge, but the games v. Scotland would be winnable enough. People probably would have taken a guaranteed playoff, but with a lot of grumbling about how we should really be looking at second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The consensus about the group was that Poland would be a challenge, but the games v. Scotland would be winnable enough. People probably would have taken a guaranteed playoff, but with a lot of grumbling about how we should really be looking at second.

Yeah, it's just a pain that we couldn't have beaten both of them at home (we were well capable of doing so) it would have made automatic qualification an easier task.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Scotland had a manager in place for the previous qualifying campaign and were definitely better prepared than us and poland have players playing in some huge european clubs.

If everything went our way then 2nd would have been a plausible outcome. But if id have been offered third before the start i wouldve taken it without a doubt

I'd certainly take third spot especially after the doom & gloom of the Scotland draw in June.

Germany are world champions and Poland have arguably the best striker in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The final day will be nuts if Germany beat us and the Scots and Poles draw. A win would see us through, a draw would see us into the play offs and a loss would see us out completely.

Hoping for a heroic draw.

SantryRed wrote: »
    The final day will be nuts if Germany beat us and the Scots and Poles draw. A win would see us through, a draw would see us into the play offs and a loss would see us out completely.

Hoping for a heroic draw.

It would be equally nuts if Ireland got a draw against Germany, and with the added bonus of not having a safety net in the event of a defeat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement