Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany - 08/10/2015 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

briany wrote: »
    The best night Ireland have had in a long, long time. Too long. The players tonight deserved the win absolutely. If I'm to say anything negative, it's that the Irish team had a generous helping of luck with Germany's lack of ability to finish. The sitters they missed would have a neutral scratching their heads, but the luck the Irish team had in this is reflective of both the Irish defensive effort and the German team's apparent complacency throughout the match, as the panel pointed out.

The team still has to go to Poland and do the business, and the team will be riding a serious wave of belief after the win tonight, so if they play with the kind of resolve they've shown, then anything is possible, but not if Poland take chances like the ones that were afforded to Germany, because I don't think fate will be so kind to Ireland twice. But at least the team is guaranteed a playoff, but what a sickener it would be if the team not only failed to get the required result v. Poland, but also failed, then, to do the stuff in the playoffs. After what the team has shown tonight, it would be a waste of an opportunity to make the team a truly competitive force in international football.

But for tonight, we revel!

You need a good bit of luck against a team like Germany. Poland aren't Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Very Bored wrote: »
    Poland aren't Germany.

Nope. Not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We are best placed 3rd team out of all the groups so we can qualify automatically by coming 3rd !

These are the teams in third place and most likely to replace them, if at all, to go into a playoff if we end up on that road:

Turkey (Holland)
    Israel (Bosnia)
    Ukraine (Slovakia)
    Slovenia (Estonia)
    Hungary (Romania)
    Sweden (Montenegro)
    Croatia (Norway)
    Albania (Denmark)

I'd fancy us against most of those. I'd want to avoid Turkey (or Holland), Sweden or Croatia (maybe Norway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are best placed 3rd team out of all the groups so we can qualify automatically by coming 3rd !

Nope nope nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's sport. Anything can happen. Don't lose the capacity to dream.

:)

Hungary are better off than we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Here's the current 3rd place table.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We owe that Poles one after that sneaky comeback in 1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Ein Tor! verdammte Scheiße! das ist eine verdammte Zeitverschwendung"

I learned German when I was a kid.

"Achtung!" "Raus! Raus!" "Gott in Himmel!" "Nicht schiessen!" "Torpedos los!"

It's a great thing to learn another language, really helps you along in life.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No voice at all I was looking through my t shirt at the end what a night

Shane long you handsome son of gun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was going to say that Ireland have an outside chance of being best placed runner-up if they beat Poland, but then I remembered that this would put the team through automatically. This beating Germany business is messing with my head.

jester77 wrote: »

Thanks for that. Basically for us its irrelevant. If we do enough to catch Hungary we qualify automatically anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

These are the teams in third place and most likely to replace them, if at all, to go into a playoff if we end up on that road:

Turkey (Holland)
    Israel (Bosnia)
    Ukraine (Slovakia)
    Slovenia (Estonia)
    Hungary (Romania)
    Sweden (Montenegro)
    Croatia (Norway)
    Albania (Denmark)

I'd fancy us against most of those. I'd want to avoid Turkey (or Holland), Sweden or Croatia (maybe Norway).

To be on the safe side we should probably beat Poland.

Shouldn't be too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Fuxk this 3rd place ****. Go and beat the pols, job done.

Any draw better than a 1-1 and we also go through on head to head

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Sounds almost like he says 'die Irren führen' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thanks for that. Basically for us its irrelevant. If we do enough to catch Hungary we qualify automatically anyway.

Not really true as Hungary will not even be in that table if they qualify automatically, we would be ahead of the other potential third place team (Romania) in that group.
    We would need quite a lot of such switcharoos to go our way though to be best 3rd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Not if hungry were to loose to Greece, Romania beat Faroes and we draw. That puts us in with a shout I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will 1-1 do us?

I don't think it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

jester77 wrote: »

That table is not up to date ? We are ahead of Hungary now aren't we ?

Fuxk this 3rd place ****. Go and beat the pols, job done.

Any draw better than a 1-1 and we also go through on head to head

Be interesting to see how Poland will play. Will they play for the draw. Ireland have nothing to lose now just go all out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Get rid of Glenn Whelan for every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just hit Lewandowski with the hardest tackle Roy Keane on Overmars style on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Mad to think we've only conceded 5 goals in 9 games in a group that contains Germany, Poland and Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Scotland won we would have needed a draw only. Something George Hamilton didn't seem to comprehend.

Now we most likely need to win away in Poland

We still only need a draw 2-2 3-3 etc.. and we go through. It was a good result in Scotland.

KenHy wrote: »
    Not if hungry were to loose to Greece, Romania beat Faroes and we draw. That puts us in with a shout I think.

Hungrys results don't matter against Greece. They will stay on 15pts. We can't pass them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Will 1-1 do us?

I don't think it does

No, we would finish 3rd on goal difference.

We still only need a draw 2-2 3-3 etc.. and we go through. It was a good result in Scotland.

It wasn't though with our result

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I learned German when I was a kid.

"Achtung!" "Raus! Raus!" "Gott in Himmel!" "Nicht schiessen!" "Torpedos los!"

It's a great thing to learn another language, really helps you along in life.
    Such loving words come from German father's of the 80's and 90's

The phone call you always feared when you almost missed dinner.

"nach Hause kommen jetzt oder krank machen deinen Arsch rot."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds almost like he says 'die Irren führen' :pac:

= The Irish lead :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sneaaaky 1-0 win now Sunday night would be lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hungrys results don't matter against Greece. They will stay on 15pts. We can't pass them.

It does because that combined with Romania winning puts Greece v hungry results into play as Greece won't be last in the group, faroes will be. In that scenario hungry will drop 5 points in the 3rd place league (having only picked up once against 5th place team which is Greece)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I thought it was a WWII reference :pac:

Not really true as Hungary will not even be in that table if they qualify automatically, we would be ahead of the other potential third place team (Romania) in that group.
    We would need quite a lot of such switcharoos to go our way though to be best 3rd place.

Its difficult that Romania would finish on less than 14 points in terms of the 3rd place competition. We're on 12, if we draw in Warsaw we'd be on 13, a win and we go through automatically.

It does because that combined with Romania winning puts Greece v hungry results into play as Greece won't be last in the group, faroes will be. In that scenario hungry will drop 5 points in the 3rd place league (having only picked up once against 5th place team which is Greece)

Greece will be last as they lost twice to the faroes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That would be 'die Iren führen', Irren is something else :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Will 1-1 do us?

I don't think it does
    spock. wrote: »
    No, we would finish 3rd on goal difference.

Unless Germany lose to Georgia. Then we'd finish top based on the results between the teams in the three-way tie (6 points). Poland would be second (5) and Germany 3rd (4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Romania drew with Greece so they will only drop 4 points and anyway they are only playing the faroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Delighted to have knocked out the Scots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Greece will be last in the group. They lost twice to the Faroes so will finish behind them on head to head.

Apart from winning in Poland the only other direct route is for Hungary to win/draw and Romania to lose. That puts Romania 3rd, but even then they have a better goal difference.

Unless the Faroes beat Romania by about 5 goals we have no chance of being top 3rd seed.

A low scoring draw is absolutely no use to us Sunday. That Poland goal was actually a terrible one for Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

McCarthy impressed me tonight. He got stuck in and made a difference.

I think the fact that Whelan was not playing helped.
    He has no pace and usually just shuffles left to right without getting too close to the opposition.
    We seemed a lot quicker closing down in the middle of the park as a result.

Another thing that pleased me was the way we played in the last 5 minutes.
    We didn't panic, we played intelligent balls that Long and Walters were likely to win and hold up the ball in the Germans half.

Hopefully we can recreate the positives tonight against Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its difficult that Romania would finish on less than 14 points in terms of the 3rd place competition. We're on 12, if we draw in Warsaw we'd be on 13, a win and we go through automatically.

You know what I think you are correct, its a bigger longshot than I thought, almost impossible.
    If we draw we finish on 13. Romania would finish on 13 also (their current 17 minus 4 against Greece) if they lose in Faroeland. But their net GD (the next splitter) is +5 whilst ours is +2 so we'd need Faroes to whop them.
    Not going to happen.

Edit : Benimar ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

After a very tough year i had so much to write. Instead. That was ****ing epic. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Current third place seeds:
    Ukraine
    Croatia
    Republic of Ireland (!!)
    Sweden
    Turkey
    Israel
    Slovenia
    Albania

Source: http://www.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2015/#Sort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

niallo27 wrote: »
    It wasn't though with our result

For me the Poland/Scotland result was good we go to Poland with nothing to lose so there will be no nerves, if scotland won they would be gauranteed 3 points and we prob would have sat back defending all night via Poland a very edgy place to be especially after such a tough and draining games versus the Germans.

Anyone who is dissapointed with the scotland result needs their heads checked all it took out of the equation are 1-1 and 0-0 to get us through and the results tonight make 0-0 very unlikely in the next game.

Why anyone wouldnt want the playoff wrapped up with Scotland Gibraltor and us playing POland in Poland is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

For me the Poland/Scotland result was good we go to Poland with nothing to lose so there will be no nerves, if scotland won they would be gauranteed 3 points and we prob would have sat back defending all night via Poland a very edgy place to be especially after such a tough and draining games versus the Germans.

Anyone who is dissapointed with the scotland result needs their heads checked all it took out of the equation are 1-1 and 0-0 to get us through and the results tonight make 0-0 very unlikely in the next game.

Why anyone wouldnt want the playoff wrapped up with Scotland Gibraltor and us playing POland in Poland is beyond me.

Because by beating Germany we would have eliminated Scotland anyway, but would be ahead of Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    McCarthy impressed me tonight. He got stuck in and made a difference.

I think the fact that Whelan was not playing helped.
    He has no pace and usually just shuffles left to right without getting too close to the opposition.
    We seemed a lot quicker closing down in the middle of the park as a result.

Another thing that pleased me was the way we played in the last 5 minutes.
    We didn't panic, we played intelligent balls that Long and Walters were likely to win and hold up the ball in the Germans half.

Hopefully we can recreate the positives tonight against Poland.

True, Whelan was considered a loss before the game.
    But I think Hoolihan, Hendrick and McCarthy were outstanding in central midfield.
    Especially Hendrick, his best performance in an Irish shirt to date, I'd say.

And on that note, to be missing Coleman and Wilson wasn't ideal either.
    but Christie and Keogh did very well stepping in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement