Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany - 08/10/2015 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

corny wrote: »
    The play offs

Is it open draw or is it seeded?
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Seeded which it makes it tougher again.

but after the win tonight will ireland be a top seed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For me the Poland/Scotland result was good we go to Poland with nothing to lose so there will be no nerves, if scotland won they would be gauranteed 3 points and we prob would have sat back defending all night via Poland a very edgy place to be especially after such a tough and draining games versus the Germans.

Anyone who is dissapointed with the scotland result needs their heads checked all it took out of the equation are 1-1 and 0-0 to get us through and the results tonight make 0-0 very unlikely in the next game.

Why anyone wouldnt want the playoff wrapped up with Scotland Gibraltor and us playing POland in Poland is beyond me.

Playoff spot would have been wrapped up anyway even if Scotland had hung on.

edit - gfy benimar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For me the Poland/Scotland result was good we go to Poland with nothing to lose so there will be no nerves, if scotland won they would be gauranteed 3 points and we prob would have sat back defending all night via Poland a very edgy place to be especially after such a tough and draining games versus the Germans.

Anyone who is dissapointed with the scotland result needs their heads checked all it took out of the equation are 1-1 and 0-0 to get us through and the results tonight make 0-0 very unlikely in the next game.

Why anyone wouldnt want the playoff wrapped up with Scotland Gibraltor and us playing POland in Poland is beyond me.

It still would've been wrapped up if Scotland had won. Just that a draw would've been good enough for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Credit to the lads, They had my heart pumping for the last 20 odd minutes or so and we're very unlucky to have not qualified automatically.

Polands first goal had a touch of offside and the keeper should of done better. Scotland then score two cracking goals, But then let Poland equalize with one of the most softest goals that I ever have seen.

Congrats to the North, Its looking very good for the "home nations" this time around.

C'mon Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭briany

Must say that first Scottish goal was an absolute cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

CQ05QdpWUAANzRl.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

We have a great chance of being best 3rd place team and going through regardless if we dont lose in Poland. Ukraine are the only ones who can beat us ther on 16 points with Macedonia to play tommorow and Spain in the last game. Macedonia are bottom but they only lost 1-0 to Spain so they could sneak a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

While we got the run around for long periods we played more football on the deck tonight than on a lot of Traps time in charge combined!....
    Thought Robbie Brady and Hoolihan were brave in looking for the ball in tight corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Benimar wrote: »
    Because by beating Germany we would have eliminated Scotland anyway, but would be ahead of Poland.

would they not have the better head 2 head? jesus now im confused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

They would have finished on 17 points, with us on 18. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

They would be 4 pts behind us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

They would have finished on 17 points, with us on 18. :)

O this is quite embarrasing :D ha ha

Apologies all off to throw out my abacus

We have a great chance of being best 3rd place team and going through regardless if we dont lose in Poland. Ukraine are the only ones who can beat us ther on 16 points with Macedonia to play tommorow and Spain in the last game. Macedonia are bottom but they only lost 1-0 to Spain so they could sneak a draw.

Its like you haven't read one of the other 200+ posts analyzing it and have never checked to see how it actually works vis a vis the 5 team group.

Before the matches tonight, just about anyone here would have taken a playoff place wrapped up. Not only did Ireland achieve that but now can go to Poland and get the automatic qualification through a victory or even a high scoring draw. Nobody would have predicted this back in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

We better go on and qualify now, either sunday or throught the playoff. This result will mean nothing if we don't go through.

It was really a great result for the team, will hopefully give them great confidence for sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

German manager pretty unsporting in interview....he said that they dealt with the first 99 long balls but didnt with the 100th:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

briany wrote: »
    Before the matches tonight, just about anyone here would have taken a playoff place wrapped up. Not only did Ireland achieve that but now can go to Poland and get the automatic qualification through a victory or even a high scoring draw. Nobody would have predicted this back in June.

We can actually still win the group. Crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah if Scotland held on we would be going into Sunday just having to avoid defeat to qualify automatically. Even if we lost we would've got a play off which sounds a sweet deal. Fcuk that late Poland goal really was a stinger for us.

How will this win affect our seeding for a potential play off? Also how will Sunday's result v Poland affect it?
    What specifically are we hoping for to have any chance of best third place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Still wouldn't want O'Neill to stay. But our players deserves so much credit. Played with alot of heart & everyone of them left everything out on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

dixiefly wrote: »
    German manager pretty unsporting in interview....he said that they dealt with the first 99 long balls but didnt with the 100th:rolleyes:

That was a bit Loew alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How does a 2-2, 3-3 draw on Sunday take us past Poland? Is it not head to head first which we'd both be tied on then goal difference, of which Poland have a better GD than us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

dixiefly wrote: »

mr-salty.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Don't underestimate the confidence this gives the team going to Poland on Sunday. They will be buzzing knowing that even if they lose or draw 1-1 we can still qualify. They should (and will) play with no fear and go for the victory. Am still a bit worried about the managers negative tactics would much prefer if he let them off the leash a bit more but hard to be critical after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Cake Man wrote: »
    How does a 2-2, 3-3 draw on Sunday take us past Poland? Is it not head to head first which we'd both be tied on then goal difference, of which Poland have a better GD than us?

We'd have a better H2H because of more away goals. A 1-1 draw sees it go to GD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Cake Man wrote: »
    Discount the results v Gibraltar.

my head hurts :o with all this mathematics

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Must say that first Scottish goal was an absolute cracker.

And the second

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Late to the party here, but get the fúck in!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You know what, I say we go all out against Poland now. Absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I remember we got that draw last year then lost to Scotland next time out. Absolutely pointless winning this if we can't follow it up.

Late to the party here, but get the fúck in!

Hi sexy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lads, who was the lad in the black suit ushering players onto the pitch and seemingly looking after substitutions? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Faugheen wrote: »
    You know what, I say we go all out against Poland now. Absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I remember we got that draw last year then lost to Scotland next time out. Absolutely pointless winning this if we can't follow it up.

Guaranteeing a playoff wasnt pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Its like you haven't read one of the other 200+ posts analyzing it and have never checked to see how it actually works vis a vis the 5 team group.

Ur right I havent Ive been busy. Why cant we be best 3rd place team then smart arse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Whens the playoff dates?

Ur right I havent Ive been busy. Why cant we be best 3rd place team then smart arse??

Ireland would need to win in order to catch Hungary in the 3rd place table, but if Ireland win in Poland, they will qualify automatically and they won't even be in the 3rd place table. There you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

jamesbere wrote: »
    We better go on and qualify now, either sunday or throught the playoff. This result will mean nothing if we don't go through.

WRONG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Alex Meier wrote: »
    WRONG!

He's not far WRONG, Its a fine line between success and failure.

Four points against Germany = Success
    One point against Scotland = Failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just back from the game.

I'd be the first to criticise O'Neill and Keane but lads, that was one of the best nights of Irish football in fúcking years.

Absolutely phenomenal result and a brilliant defensive performance.

Can't believe it actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was a worried man when the team was announced, and even posted in this thread earlier sarcastically commenting on it. But I take everything back because collectively it was a superb performance from one and all. Christie looked like a man with 50 caps to his name such was his composure, his fellow back-line all stood up to the mark too, Hoolahan had the cleverness to transition the play from defence to attack and was outstanding, McCarthy had his best game in a green shirt, and the front two worked tirelessly.

Proud, proud man. And without bringing a debate into it,this results out-trumps anything the beloved rugby has achieved this year

Rudolph the red hot keeper, had a very solid game

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I wonder are we better off going into the Poland game needing a win rather than just a draw, we've nothing to lose, might we see an 'ah f*ck it just go or it' all out attacking attitude like France in 2009 instead of trying to grimly hang on to point if we were a ahead of them.

I wonder are we better off going into the Poland game needing a win rather than just a draw, we've nothing to lose, might we see an 'ah f*ck it just go or it' all out attacking attitude like France in 2009 instead of trying to grimly hang on to point if we were a ahead of them.

Well we need a 2-2 draw or higher so either way we have to go for it. We have to win 1-0 or score at least twice without losing to automatically qualify

i wonder how poland will approach it?? go out for a win or play it cautious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was at the match tonight and the atmosphere was incredible. The team were superb, every single one of them.

One of those nights i can say i was there the night we beat the World Champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Might as well and go for it and prepare for a possible scenario where we are chasing it in the second leg in the play-offs. Get us used to a different approach in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

14 years of waiting to finally claim another big name scalp, and when we finally do, it's against the world champions. That is soooo us!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement