Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany - 08/10/2015 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

They'll just get the ball to Lewandowski.... Us losing there now matters not a jot. Might as well take it to them. Poland will be feeling the pressure much more than us, particularly with them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

fryup wrote: »
    i wonder how poland will approach it?? go out for a win or play it cautious

We've nothing to lose and everything to gain by just releasing the shackles and taking the game to them and going for it.

Why the hell not?

We had a pretty depleted team in key areas tonight so I say go for it. It would be absolutely ridiculous to finish in 2nd in a group we were destined to finish 4th in at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

How 'long' before someone does a Hitler/Downfall parody:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

dsmythy wrote: »
    They'll just get the ball to Lewandowski.... Us losing there now matters not a jot. Might as well take it to them. Poland will be feeling the pressure much more than us, particularly with them at home.

Throw the kitchen sink at them from the start, but keep it up for longer this time :pac: If we concede those chances to Lewa it's curtains for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Unreal night.

I'm off to warsaw..gonna be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think tonight proves that if you give it 100 percent, you can achieve. Players who would usually be liabilities, or considered liabilities, played above and beyond. If only there was a way to coax a performance like that out of them, always. The result tonight doesn't exactly change that Ireland are a limited bunch, but limitations can be broken if you believe in yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You know I had a feeling Christie looked good on tv, but he was feckin awful if you seen him at the match. I reckon Reus almost had too much space in the first half.

Without schweinsteiger and Lahm Germany really lack leadership.

Reckon I've cheered that Long goal about 50 times already tonight :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liam O wrote: »
    You know I had a feeling Christie looked good on tv, but he was feckin awful if you seen him at the match. I reckon Reus almost had too much space in the first half.

Without schweinsteiger and Lahm Germany really lack leadership.

Reckon I've cheered that Long goal about 50 times already tonight :p

In what way was he awful? Positionally? both fullbacks seemed to have been ordered to play narrowly. On occasions I saw McCarthy and Hoolahan (I think) tell Ward to squeeze in more. Was shocked at it at the time but don't give a fück now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

this is absolutely embarrassing watching this.

O'Neil has managed to negate the benefit of not having Whelan's lack of technical ability by completely eradicating the need for midfielders by g/hoofball tactics. Have we played a ball forward on the ground yet?

Daryl Murphy: A player who managed to help Ireland score approximately 0 goals in 40 minutes against Gibraltar and with no real outstanding talent. Also, if we're looking for 1980s style flick ons, why do we have 2 "big man" players in him and Walters? Does he have any idea what a tactic is?

Cyrus Christie is completely out of his depth. I've counted 8 times that he's been badly caught out of position, luckily Germany are that bit complacent that they don't find the pass

Stephen Ward has been out of his depth for 5 years, he has no place at international level.

If we want to play an actual counter attacking tactic, why aren't we using two of our above average wingers in McClean and McGeady? Also, why not use our only striker who can outrun a defender in Long?

Why do you have a goalkeeper that effectively retired in the team?

Honestly, I would like nothing more than for Ireland and O'Neil to prove me wrong, but I'm not sure what tactics he actually wants to play. If you look at the teams directly below us, i.e. Luxembourg, Armenia, Estonia they actually make an effort to play the ball, not this bizzaro hoofball which worked at u14.

Though a bit better in the last 5 minutes as Germany get sloppy

And yet we still took 4 points from 6 from the World Champions!!

Get back in your box!!!

Unreal night.

Be careful out there ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nalz wrote: »
    In what way was he awful? Positionally? both fullbacks seemed to have been ordered to play narrowly. On occasions I saw McCarthy and Hoolahan (I think) tell Ward to squeeze in more. Was shocked at it at the time but don't give a fück now!!!

It worked out but that was more from bad Germany play than anything he did. He wasn't helped by the lack of a right winger in the first half but normally Reus and Götze would take advantage of such a large amount of space as they were afforded.

Like you though I don't really give a fúck though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, seems like O'Neill decided in advance that in a normal setup they'd cut through the centre of us too easily, so instead we set up to allow them - actually encourage them - to get it wide and deal with crosses instead.

Risky move, but an interesting one - pulling everyone so narrow, you're basically giving them their strategy and telling them to have a go, figuring its the one we have the best chance of holding out on. With a team of irishmen willing to throw themselves in the way of everything, it worked out, taking the germans skill and passing effectively out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭briany

And yet we still took 4 points from 6 from the World Champions!!

Get back in your box!!!

It's unreal, alright, but I have an observation...

Usually, Irish hoofball tactics are bemoaned. The moment they have a moment of success, all that is forgotten. Ireland actually had a few good passages of play tonight, and I think that's what the team needs to take forward, to get on the ball, and that makes for more chances, whether it's a concise through ball, or a fortuitous knockdown. You'll get some goals out of hoofball, but you cannot rely on it, in the end.

Liam O wrote: »
    It worked out but that was more from bad Germany play than anything he did. He wasn't helped by the lack of a right winger in the first half but normally Reus and Götze would take advantage of such a large amount of space as they were afforded.

Like you though I don't really give a fúck though :p

Definitely told to allow the flanks to be free though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Fcuking brilliant result. The one thing about the 11 Irish players who take to the field every match is they always play with heart and give 110% for the jersey regardless of their ability, the result, opposition or restrained tactics they are often forced to play under. The Scots should take note

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fcuking brilliant result. The one thing about the 11 Irish players who take to the field every match is they always play with heart and give 110% for the jersey regardless of the result, opposition or restrained tactics they are often forced to play under. The Scots should take note

The next time McCarthy misplaces a pass and the vultures come out again, this should be remembered.

Fcuking brilliant result. The one thing about the 11 Irish players who take to the field every match is they always play with heart and give 110% for the jersey regardless of their ability, the result, opposition or restrained tactics they are often forced to play under. The Scots should take note

I'm sure the Scots gave their all vs Poland and Germany recently? I'd imagine they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Unreal night.

I'm assuming by the fact you post here that you can read and write. My voice is ****ed after tonight..either through shouting, singing and cheering or catching some infection from dry humping random strangers.

So, job offer. Bring a pen and pad to Warsaw and translate my scribblings into vocal sounds and pints of Tyskie are on me.

What a night...let's keep up the momentum on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Corholio wrote: »
    The next time McCarthy misplaces a pass and the vultures come out again, this should be remembered.

100%, I wonder if the clowns who "wonder" if McCarthys heart is in it playing for Ireland watched him tonight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nothing to lose in Poland now, may as well throw everything we have at them and see what's what.

In a way Sundays game is a bit like many situations in the CL, we know a 2-2 draw will see us through so we need to set up to score the first goal and aim to score again. We need to go into the Poland game with the mindset of scoring two goals, no matter what. If we do that we have a chance.
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll finish second. but the playoff draw....

Turkey or Netherlands
    Bosnia and Herzegovina or Isreal
    Ukraine
    Slovenia
    Hungary or Romania
    Sweden
    Norway or Croatia
    Denmark or Albania

Either Ukraine or Hungary/Romania will qualify automatically

I would absolutely love to get Israel, purely because we owe them one after all their cheating at Lansdowne a few years back.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how Poland will play. Will they play for the draw. Ireland have nothing to lose now just go all out for it.

They're at home and Lewandowski is on fire, they'll be fully committed for the win because a 1-1 scoreline at any point in the 2nd half will leave them vunerable to coming 3rd in the group. Poland will throw the sink at us in the first half, of that I've no doubt.
    And on that note, to be missing Coleman and Wilson wasn't ideal either.
    but Christie and Keogh did very well stepping in.

Cyrus Christie played out of his skin tonight, well above his station. Keogh put in a superb shift too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

What a night. Unbelievable stuff. We hung on a bit in the first half, improved in the second, but overall were excellent defensively and very well organised. Has to be said, we were helped by the Germans poor finishing (but relatively few chances in fairness).

We've been waiting so long for a night like this. It's amazing. Holland '01 was really the last time. I was talking to a few lads in work today who barely remember it! They were only 8-10 yrs old then. Poor f**kers. Same with the 1-1 draw with Germany in 02. These nights are rare and I'm lucky enough to be old enough to remember them and appreciate them. I remember I was around 8 for 1990. I remember it but I don't appreciate it.

We defended brilliantly tonight, were very organised and took our chance(s) . Our only real chance maybe. But that's the way you win a game against a team like Germany.

As for best 3rd place; not gonna happen if I understand correctly. We'd need to win to catch Hungary at least, and a win will guarantee us 2nd anyway.

Pity Poland equalised, otherwise a 0-0 or 1-1 would have done. That takes 2 very likely/achievable results off the table for us imo. Gonna be a cagey game on Sunday, just hope Long gets a start. It's a much more threatening attack starting Long and bringing on Robbie compared to staring Murphy and bringing on Long.

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

dogcat wrote: »
    Current third place seeds:
    Ukraine
    Croatia
    Republic of Ireland (!!)
    Sweden
    Turkey
    Israel
    Slovenia
    Albania

Source: http://www.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2015/#Sort

Am I right in saying Netherlands would become top seeds pushing Sweden into the bottom if Netherlands got third spot instead of Turkey? Think I'd rather play Sweden instead of Turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Am I right in saying Netherlands would become top seeds pushing Sweden into the bottom if Netherlands got third spot instead of Turkey? Think I'd rather play Sweden instead of Turkey

Inmade a mistake. I think Sweden is in the bottom half and Albania is seeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

dogcat wrote: »
    Inmade a mistake. I think Sweden is in the bottom half and Albania is seeded.

If Albania beat bottom placed Armenia in their final game, they qualify automatically, pushing Denmark into 3rd spot. Meaning Denmark would be top seeds with Sweden back in as bottom seeds again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ohhhhhh what a feelinggggg. Sick day Sunday night for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Lets just forget about what will and will not happen. We need to just go for it in poland.
    I know people where not happy with others delighted poland got an equaliser in scotland, but it gave us a buffer zone for the playoffs at the time in the game before it finished.

Very easy to be an expert when the game is over.

Also I feel that Ireland needing a win in poland may not be the worst thing, as Ireland up agaisn't it produce a better result than trying to hold on to something. (most times :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Looking at the remaining fixtures the most likely 3rd placed teams are (imo):

Israel
    Ukraine
    Norway (I'm assuming Croatia win their last 2 games, and Norway lose to Italy)
    Slovenia
    Denmark (assuming Albania beat Armenia)
    Sweden
    Turkey/Netherlands - toss of a coin!
    Ireland

I say Ireland because Poland can afford to grind out a 0-0 or 1-1. Hungary will probably hang on to the top 3rd place spot, assuming the Greeks don't beat them.

If all this happens the the seeded teams would be:

Ukraine
    Denmark
    Netherlands/turkey
    Norway

Unseeded would be:

Ireland
    Israel
    Slovenia
    Sweden

I'm not sure, but I imagine the rankings would be updated before the playoffs? Not sure if that will make a difference though.

Hopefully we can nick a win and not have worry about the above.

If we do finish 3rd who would you prefer to play? Tough call, but probably Denmark for me.

Note: I looked at all this pretty quickly, so I might have made a mistake somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Strumms wrote: »
    Fůcking huge credit to that team.. Fought like warriors.. it wasnt pretty but boy did they give heart and soul and everything else and some... Christy i though played great Hendrick also and Randolph coming on was like swapping a clapped out 1998 Saab for a brand new Merc...

Well its the question. Win ugly or lose pretty. I'll take winning ugly everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Will the seedings for the playoffs be taken from the third place table or some other way?

• Advertisement

Will the seedings for the playoffs be taken from the third place table or some other way?

Taken from FIFA Rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Very easy to be an expert when the game is over.

or an expert during the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Does this mean I wont have to read "Ireland haven't beaten a team ranked higher than us" in every second f**king thread now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lads, who was the lad in the black suit ushering players onto the pitch and seemingly looking after substitutions? :confused:

Anyone? Did I imagine it?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

50662279.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Looking at the remaining fixtures the most likely 3rd placed teams are (imo):

Israel
    Ukraine
    Norway (I'm assuming Croatia win their last 2 games, and Norway lose to Italy)
    Slovenia
    Denmark (assuming Albania beat Armenia)
    Sweden
    Turkey/Netherlands - toss of a coin!
    Ireland

I say Ireland because Poland can afford to grind out a 0-0 or 1-1. Hungary will probably hang on to the top 3rd place spot, assuming the Greeks don't beat them.

Ukraine
    Denmark
    Netherlands/turkey
    Norway

Unseeded would be:

Ireland
    Israel
    Slovenia
    Sweden

I'm not sure, but I imagine the rankings would be updated before the playoffs? Not sure if that will make a difference though.

Hopefully we can nick a win and not have worry about the above.

If we do finish 3rd who would you prefer to play? Tough call, but probably Denmark for me.

Note: I looked at all this pretty quickly, so I might have made a mistake somewhere.

If this was the final 8 for the playoffs, I'd miles prefer Norway. Denmark have a decent enough backbone with Schmeichel, Agger, Eriksen & even Bendtner.

Ukraine ain't world beaters either but going to Kiev would be very daunting as would going to Turkey.

Battle it out for the Polish game, fingers crossed O'Shea can keep Lewandowski at bay with all his experience, sure hasn't he nutmegged Figo when he was one of the best in the world!

Anyone? Did I imagine it?!!

No you didn't. I saw him too but have no idea who he was.

hogey143 wrote: »
    If this was the final 8 for the playoffs, I'd miles prefer Norway. Denmark have a decent enough backbone with Schmeichel, Agger, Eriksen & even Bendtner.

Ukraine ain't world beaters either but going to Kiev would be very daunting as would going to Turkey.

Battle it out for the Polish game, fingers crossed O'Shea can keep Lewandowski at bay with all his experience, sure hasn't he nutmegged Figo when he was one of the best in the world!

Yeah would be a toss up between Denmark and Norway to be honest. Denmark are more definitely experienced, but Norway are good young side...more of an unknown quantity. Denmark's recent results have been less than spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Ukraine
    Denmark
    Netherlands/turkey
    Norway

Unseeded would be:

Ireland
    Israel
    Slovenia
    Sweden

I don't like the look of that at all.

At least we can go all-out for the win against Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No you didn't. I saw him too but have no idea who he was.

Someone must know?

Someone must know?

Any images of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't make many games but to be at that last night was a feckin' privilege.

On the other hand, we found 4 tickets on the ground just outside the stadium. Handed them in but it's probably a bit optimistic to think they were reunited with their owner. I'd hate to think somebody went up there with their kids and then only made it as far as the turnstiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think people are overlooking just how nervous the pols will be when we come yo okay them. Knowing they could go out at home. I hope we go all out for the win and hit them quick out of the gates. We have nothing o lose, let the reigns off and we might see a repeat of Paris.

I think people are overlooking just how nervous the pols will be when we come yo okay them. Knowing they could go out at home. I hope we go all out for the win and hit them quick out of the gates. We have nothing o lose, let the reigns off and we might see a repeat of Paris.

Err, that was a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Daily Record back page is worth a look if anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

can anyone clarify to me why a 2-2 draw or better is enough for us to qualify?

They said this on SS this morning. It would still mean Poland finishing above us on GD

Lex Luthor wrote: »

They said this on SS this morning. It would still mean Poland finishing above us on GD

A 0-0 draw in Warsaw means Poland go through as they will have scored more away goals in meetings between the two sides.

A 1-1 draw means the head-to-head records would be identical (as the sides also drew 1-1 in Dublin), but Poland would go through as they have the better goal difference of the two sides.

A draw of 2-2 or higher would send the Republic of Ireland through as they will have scored more away goals in meetings between the two sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Err, that was a draw.

0-1 after 90 minutes, same again please.

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Goes to head to head results first.

We'd have more away goals in the head to head as the home game with Poland finished 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ok thanks for clearing that up lads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement