Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany - 08/10/2015 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Don't suppose anyone could stick up the post match panel discussion? RTE player doesn't work over here. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Right lads ye must concede a goal against Poland, then long up to long and goal and then let Poland score again then route one to long again.

Job done into the euros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Taken from FIFA Rankings.

No its not. Its UEFA Coefficient.

Maybe its the sore head but there are so many people posting complete crap as facts on this thread !

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I was just thinking regarding the Cyrus Christie thing.

Would it be worth moving Coleman to the left flank and moving Brady up the park? Don't get me wrong, I thought Ward was very good tonight but I'd be worried about him in the future. Christie has yet to let us down on the right flank and with Coleman we could make a new Dinny Irwin.

Brady was very good up the park tonight, especially in his defensive duties (I know that sounds odd) but we didn't have to limit him as much when going forward and I really think we saw the benefits of that.

McCarthy's second half performance was outstanding. Before the goal we dominated the midfield because of it. Jeff Hendrick and Jon Walters were both excellent again and easily our best players of the campaign.

Darren Randolph finally gets his chance and takes it. Delighted for him because he's always been under the radar despite being a good 'keeper. He's no Shay, but he's better than Shay is now.

I've no more words to describe Weso. Phenomenal.

For Poland, I'd play (providing all are fit)
    Randolph
    Christie--Keogh--O'Shea--Coleman
    McCarthy--Hendrick
    Walters--Weso--Brady
    Long

ronjo wrote: »

Maybe its the sore head but there are so many people posting complete crap as facts on this thread !

Was just about to post this.

These are the rankings in the coefficient.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/25/84/05/2258405_DOWNLOAD.pdf

1 Netherlands (4)
    2. Ukraine (10)
    3. Sweden (14)
    4. Denmark (18)
    5. Ireland (23)
    6. Norway (26)
    7. Slovenia (27)
    8. Israel (29)

These still have to be updated after last nights games and the rest of the qualifying games I think even though I read somewhere they are only updated every 2 years.

If turkey get third instead of Holland they are 28th making us top seeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/25/84/05/2258405_DOWNLOAD.pdf

1 Netherlands (4)
    2. Ukraine (10)
    3. Sweden (14)
    4. Denmark (18)
    5. Ireland (23)
    6. Norway (26)
    7. Slovenia (27)
    8. Israel (29)

These still have to be updated after last nights games and the rest of the qualifying games I think even though I read somewhere they are only updated every 2 years.

Hopefully Denamark will qualify as Albania are way down on the list.
    Of course still a chance Croatia come 3rd

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm thinking now that Poland drawing might be for the best. If they had have lost, we'd have gone there looking for a draw, which would be a very nervy affair. We've absolutely nothing to lose now, and that's when Ireland play their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Oh what a night! That's the payoff you get for supporting your national team through thick and thin. Of course the last few years have been bleak but night's like last night go a long way towards making up for the poor football we've had to endure.

I've seen posters on here say they feel no connection with the Irish team and aren't bothered about how they get on. Huge soccer fans who love watching the game but can't be arsed watching their country play. I've never understood this mentality. The emotion and intensity you feel watching your country taking on and beating the big boys cannot be beaten. Now lets finish the job on Sunday and make it a day to remember for Irish sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

1 Netherlands (4)
    2. Ukraine (10)
    3. Sweden (14)
    4. Denmark (18)
    5. Ireland (23)
    6. Norway (26)
    7. Slovenia (27)
    8. Israel (29)

Why are the Dutch even on the list, their not even 3rd in the group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

What a game that was and what a night.

Wasn't expecting that at all, sitting in work at 3.30pm and got a call from a friend offering 2 x free premium level tickets for the game , so I took his hand off and ran to collect them.

In the pub for 5 but to go from that to actually being at the game , in great seats and watching us make history...was just unbelievable. The atmosphere and energy in the stadium was unreal.

Anyone there will tell you as it's harder to see from the TV , the fans were the 12'th man last night , particularly when Ireland scored and we needed to hold on , the whole of the Aviva was bouncing and no matter how good a pro you are have no doubt that was effecting the Germans efforts in coming back and steading themselves.

Brilliant performance from the team , Including O'Neill...let's wrap this up Sunday and for once get ourselves in automatically.

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pighead wrote: »
    Oh what a night! That's the payoff you get for supporting your national team through thick and thin. Of course the last few years have been bleak but night's like last night go a long way towards making up for the poor football we've had to endure.

I've seen posters on here say they feel no connection with the Irish team and aren't bothered about how they get on. Huge soccer fans who love watching the game but can't be arsed watching their country play. I've never understood this mentality. The emotion and intensity you feel watching your country taking on and beating the big boys cannot be beaten. Now lets finish the job on Sunday and make it a day to remember for Irish sport.

Fact, I'd no way of watching RTE last night but heard the pre match was all about Ireland having no chance. Have to stay optimistic and hope for the best going into every game for moments like that last night.

We know we're not favourites for any big competitions these days, the players may not be playing at the very top level but as a strong unit with the 12th man behind us and a bit of luck, who knows what we can achieve and just embrace results like that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's sport. Anything can happen. Don't lose the capacity to dream.
    cson wrote: »
    We're due a win against a team ranked above us.

On that basis, I'll be wildly optimistic and say it's going to happen this week against either Germany or Poland. As Lloyd said; it's sport & we shouldn't lose the capacity to dream. :)

Sport is ****ing awesome sometimes. :)

Incredible atmosphere for the last 20 minutes; I'd have believed you if you'd told me we were in the Ataturk in Istanbul for the last 5 mins such was the whistling!

McCarthy motm by a street - the 2015 version of Keane v Netherlands 01.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We played amazing last night, but we knew what to do against such a big team and we did it well... heroic defending, pressure and nick a chance when it happens.
    Thank flip the Germans were so poor on the finishing front too.

Our problem comes against the likes of Scotland and Poland when we need to 'play football'. We can't play the same type against the Poles, and we should aim to have more possession, but what we do with that possession is key.
    We've been so poor in the past with the ball, but last night I thought I saw flashes of competence in the midfield. Brady, McCarthy, Hoolahan, with support from Walters were sheer quality. the passing looked slick and confident.
    I guess Sunday will open the story more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Looking at the remaining fixtures the most likely 3rd placed teams are (imo):

Israel
    Ukraine
    Norway (I'm assuming Croatia win their last 2 games, and Norway lose to Italy)
    Slovenia
    Denmark (assuming Albania beat Armenia)
    Sweden
    Turkey/Netherlands - toss of a coin!
    Ireland

I say Ireland because Poland can afford to grind out a 0-0 or 1-1. Hungary will probably hang on to the top 3rd place spot, assuming the Greeks don't beat them.

If all this happens the the seeded teams would be:

Ukraine
    Denmark
    Netherlands/turkey
    Norway

Unseeded would be:

Ireland
    Israel
    Slovenia
    Sweden

I'm not sure, but I imagine the rankings would be updated before the playoffs? Not sure if that will make a difference though.

Hopefully we can nick a win and not have worry about the above.

If we do finish 3rd who would you prefer to play? Tough call, but probably Denmark for me.

Note: I looked at all this pretty quickly, so I might have made a mistake somewhere.
    Turkey won't be seeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Nalz wrote: »
    In what way was he awful? Positionally? both fullbacks seemed to have been ordered to play narrowly. On occasions I saw McCarthy and Hoolahan (I think) tell Ward to squeeze in more. Was shocked at it at the time but don't give a fück now!!!

I was at the game and I thought Cyrus had a decent game but not a great game, certainly in the first half. Reading back through the thread here though everyone seems to be of the opinion that he was a contender for MOTM.. strange enough, maybe being at the game you can see his positioning a bit better or maybe the cameras picked up something you couldnt see at the game.

For me the stand out player on the night was Walters, he was excellent. In the first half Ward kept getting swamped down his side as Brady was tucked in too far to provide any cover but Walters kept tracking back to bail him out and then raced forward to win the long balls, which he did time and time again and in the last 10 minutes or so he absolutely killed the game in the corner, he was immense, but in saying that they all were, great great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

allybhoy wrote: »
    For me the stand out player on the night was Walters, he was excellent.

I can understand why Wes got MOTM for opening up play, but for sheer work rate, Walters won it for me.
    He was running from one end to the other, and won so many of the long balls up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I can understand why Wes got MOTM for opening up play, but for sheer work rate, Walters won it for me.
    I can't think of a better man for wasting time in the German corner either. Loved that 3 of the 4 minutes of injury time were spent up there, that was all down to him and Hendrick.

Hopefully Denamark will qualify as Albania are way down on the list.
    Of course still a chance Croatia come 3rd

There is a good chance of us being seeded if we are in the draw
    jamesbere wrote: »
    Why are the Dutch even on the list, their not even 3rd in the group

I mentioned Turkey too. Personally I think the Dutch will do it. Its all speculation. Anyway after last night and with players that are coming back I think we are going to beat Poland and we wont have to worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pighead wrote: »

I'd be very much like this. Not so much not arsed, I always watch the team play, but have had frustration watching the team for so long. Unlike many I'm of the generation where the good times where way before I was coherant about football.

The only kinda memory I have of relative Irish success was in Saipan, and that was massively soured also.

And what was weirder last night was that Germany are kind of my "other national" team that I support. Have done since a child, being a massive fan of Ballack and Kahn. And even know, Kroos is my favourite footballer operating at the moment.

It was really just a good performance last night considering the circumstances and it really did light a bit of a fire in me in terms of support for the national team that has been on the ropes for years. When the goal went in I didn't roar or celebrate, was very much in a state of "I don't believe that just happened" and then instantly got the fear that Germany were going to step it up and get the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Anyone know how that will affect our Fifa ranking? We could do with climbing up the rankings and having a good tournament to put us in a good spot to qualify for 2018 WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Lukker- wrote: »
    We could do with climbing up the rankings and having a good tournament to put us in a good spot to qualify for 2018 WC.
    The draw has already been made, we got a very good group despite being 4th seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Anyone know how that will affect our Fifa ranking? We could do with climbing up the rankings and having a good tournament to put us in a good spot to qualify for 2018 WC.

Without taking into account other team's results, a win on Sunday could put us 30th, a draw 39th, and a loss 47th. Climbing the rankings won't have any effect on anything for two years, the draw for 2018's already been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

If that result doesn't make your testicles tingle then there's something wrong with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sunday is a cup final. I thought we played better than the poles in Dublin. To hell with the play offs, it's a gamble Ireland know only too well. I can see is reigning down on polish goal, if we only need 1 with 20 minutes to go and it's them with everything to lose...I mean we got drawn in a group of death, one point behind leaders and world champions , and would think the others teams finishing in 3rd can't be up too much despite some of the names in there. I don't think I can hack the north and wales being there and not us. The craic will be different level !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

whiskeyman wrote: »

Same here, you could see he was blowing bubbles with about 10 minutes to go, his shirt was soaked, yet he was still up and down, serious engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

great game last night! First time watching world class players on the pitch. Shame they didn't produce but glad the Boys in Green produced a stellar performance against the world champs ;)

Alex Meier wrote: »
    If O'Neill doesn't get third place on Sunday then he should be sacked.

The performances under him have been worse than Trappatoni.

The very least he can get is results.

He'll probably leave himself should this be the case.

I love when these predictions are made to look as foolish as they are.

5star02707 wrote: »
    great game last night! First time watching world class players on the pitch. Shame they didn't produce but glad the Boys in Green produced a stellar performance against the world champs ;)

Why did you want Germany to produce a world class performance unless you are German?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Sunday is a cup final.
    It not really. In a cup final you have something to lose whereas we don't have anything to lose on Sunday. We can just give it a crack and even if we lose or draw it's not the end of our chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It not really. In a cup final you have something to lose whereas we don't have anything to lose on Sunday. We can just give it a crack and even if we lose or draw it's not the end of our chances.

We do have something to lose.. automatic qualification!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

we should be up about 7 places in the world rankings after last night and a win in poland would take us up about 24 places then, depending other results of course.

a draw sunday would see us jump up about 14 places in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

After the euphoria of last night's incredible result has faded (slightly!) I remember that Ireland still have business to take care of in Poland. The team needs to be riding the wave of positivity from last night, but I think there is now also an air of expectation. The problem with this is that if Ireland don't get an automatic spot on Sunday, there could be a backlash of negativity going into a playoff, but a playoff is what we would all have taken back in June, and many would not have even believed we could get that. I was among those people proven wrong on that count, and very glad to be I was, too.

So, just as important for the long term is Ireland proving that they've genuinely turned a corner and not just had a one-off great result, and that's something they have the opportunity to do on Sunday. Make no mistake, there were a few chances given to Germany last night that were totally squandered. If an opportunity like that falls to Lewandowski, he will probably bury it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Watched the first half last night with my 5 year old son before he went to bed (reluctantly) at half time. I'd been telling him how great it was that we'd held the German world champions scoreless for 5 minutes, 10 minutes... 30 minutes.
    He opened the living room door around 65 mins and stood watching for a minute before again, reluctantly, heading back to bed.
    When Ireland scored I tore up the stairs, grabbed the startled, still awake, little fella from his bed and we watched the rest of the match together from the bean bag. I hope he doesn't nod off in Junior Infants this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For all the Justin Bieber fans here :P
    He supports Ireland.

https://twitter.com/justinbieber/status/652331891442495488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

josip wrote: »
    Watched the first half last night with my 5 year old son before he went to bed (reluctantly) at half time. I'd been telling him how great it was that we'd held the German world champions scoreless for 5 minutes, 10 minutes... 30 minutes.
    He opened the living room door around 65 mins and stood watching for a minute before again, reluctantly, heading back to bed.
    When Ireland scored I tore up the stairs, grabbed the startled, still awake, little fella from his bed and we watched the rest of the match together from the bean bag. I hope he doesn't nod off in Junior Infants this morning.

Good man, you couldn't have let him miss that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sorry if this has already been discussed (and I'm sure it has) - but a draw against Poland would most likely make us the best third place team, and give auto-qualification? Ukraine and Hungary can also finish on 19 points but have worse goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tusky wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been discussed (and I'm sure it has) - but a draw against Poland would most likely make us the best third place team, and give auto-qualification? Ukraine and Hungary can also finish on 19 points but have worse goal difference.
    a 0-0 or 1-1 means poland go through
    2-2 or better and then ireland go through on more away goals scored in the head to head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nope, sadly you have to take 6 points away from our total to cater for the fact that one group has only 5 teams so results against the team finishing 6th in the other groups are disregarded.
    Under this new table we have no real prospect of finishing best 3rd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Our goals against Gibraltar don't count in our goal difference so Ukraine and Hungarys is actually better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nope, sadly you have to take 6 points away from our total to cater for the fact that one group has only 5 teams so results against the team finishing 6th in the other groups are disregarded.
    Under this new table we have no real prospect of finishing best 3rd place.

Such a complicated system!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ireland without Robbie Keane is a better team, now that Given has been found out (again) it's surely time that MON stick with those players that have the fitness, commitment and capability

It's time to jettison the cap collectors, they've been holding us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

my friend wrote: »
    Ireland without Robbie Keane is a better team, now that Given has been found out (again) it's surely time that MON stick with those players that have the fitness, commitment and capability

Ireland without Robbie Keane is better in the more difficult games, but for the middle to bottom tier in group games he will still get us goals

Not sure how Given was found out, that said though he shouldnt be No1 although neither of the two players on the bench are getting much of a look in either at club level. Really expected Westwood to step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Given did OK in the first half. Not great, but didn't make any egregious errors for an Irish goalie. Aimless kickouts, yes, but those feel like a staple of the team's game at times. Twisting his ankle was the best thing he could have done because it allowed Randolph on to put in that ball to Long. We were all wondering what the hell O'Neill was thinking putting Randolph on, though, in ahead of Forde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

briany wrote: »
    Given did OK in the first half. Not great, but didn't make any egregious errors for an Irish goalie. Aimless kickouts, yes, but those feel like a staple of the team's game at times. Twisting his ankle was the best thing he could have done because it allowed Randolph on to put in that ball to Long. We were all wondering what the hell O'Neill was thinking putting Randolph on, though, in ahead of Forde.

Seriously doubt MON thought "let's throw Randalf on here, might grab a crucial assist".

But then again, I had thoguht that Randalf was 4th choice, behind Given, Forde and Westwood, so who knows what goes on in MON's head around goalkeepers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

briany wrote: »

His knee , his ankle , whatever, he ain't fit and wasn't fit to start with, he's so rigid, furthermore his substitution then wasted a swap which potentially would have left us with 10 players if Brady was unable to return.

Essentially he could have cost us the win.

In contrast Randolph was a study in confidence and genuine communication with other players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Seriously doubt MON thought "let's throw Randalf on here, might grab a crucial assist".

But then again, I had thoguht that Randalf was 4th choice, behind Given, Forde and Westwood, so who knows what goes on in MON's head around goalkeepers.

Two things: Randolph's been starting Premier League games while Forde's on and off starting for Millwall. Also, I heard somewhere Randolph could still declare for USA (as he hadn't played a competitive game), so maybe that swayed MON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

3rd place table, Hungary were losing for a while last night.

CQ1EWm1WoAAtlfn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

His knee , his ankle , whatever, he ain't fit and wasn't fit to start with, he's so rigid, furthermore his substitution then wasted a swap which potentially would have left us with 10 players if Brady was unable to return.

Essentially he could have cost us the win.

In contrast Randolph was a study in confidence and genuine communication with other players

Nonsense. He could have cost us the win? Who would be saying that about a match against Germany? He's been fit all season even though he hasn't played. I wouldn't be hugely in favour of Given starting either but he did nothing wrong, saying he was 'found out' is a bit bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Soups123 wrote: »
    Ireland without Robbie Keane is better in the more difficult games, but for the middle to bottom tier in group games he will still get us goals

Not sure how Given was found out, that said though he shouldnt be No1 although neither of the two players on the bench are getting much of a look in either at club level. Really expected Westwood to step up

Westwood has stepped up, he just hasn't been given the chance properly at the international stage. Him not being called up was crazy although Randolph did have a fine second half

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement