Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany - 08/10/2015 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Hitchens wrote: »
    the Germans don't like it up 'em :)

Id beg to differ...as my favourite websites would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

this is absolutely embarrassing watching this.

O'Neil has managed to negate the benefit of not having Whelan's lack of technical ability by completely eradicating the need for midfielders by g/hoofball tactics. Have we played a ball forward on the ground yet?

Daryl Murphy: A player who managed to help Ireland score approximately 0 goals in 40 minutes against Gibraltar and with no real outstanding talent. Also, if we're looking for 1980s style flick ons, why do we have 2 "big man" players in him and Walters? Does he have any idea what a tactic is?

Cyrus Christie is completely out of his depth. I've counted 8 times that he's been badly caught out of position, luckily Germany are that bit complacent that they don't find the pass

Stephen Ward has been out of his depth for 5 years, he has no place at international level.

If we want to play an actual counter attacking tactic, why aren't we using two of our above average wingers in McClean and McGeady? Also, why not use our only striker who can outrun a defender in Long?

Why do you have a goalkeeper that effectively retired in the team?

Honestly, I would like nothing more than for Ireland and O'Neil to prove me wrong, but I'm not sure what tactics he actually wants to play. If you look at the teams directly below us, i.e. Luxembourg, Armenia, Estonia they actually make an effort to play the ball, not this bizzaro hoofball which worked at u14.

Though a bit better in the last 5 minutes as Germany get sloppy
    you were going well until you mentioned McGeady :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

How the hell has given injured himself??

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

too many hoofs from given, must have hurt himself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

O'Neil has managed to negate the benefit of not having Whelan's lack of technical ability by completely eradicating the need for midfielders by g/hoofball tactics. Have we played a ball forward on the ground yet?

Daryl Murphy: A player who managed to help Ireland score approximately 0 goals in 40 minutes against Gibraltar and with no real outstanding talent. Also, if we're looking for 1980s style flick ons, why do we have 2 "big man" players in him and Walters? Does he have any idea what a tactic is?

Cyrus Christie is completely out of his depth. I've counted 8 times that he's been badly caught out of position, luckily Germany are that bit complacent that they don't find the pass

Stephen Ward has been out of his depth for 5 years, he has no place at international level.

If we want to play an actual counter attacking tactic, why aren't we using two of our above average wingers in McClean and McGeady? Also, why not use our only striker who can outrun a defender in Long?

Honestly, I would like nothing more than for Ireland and O'Neil to prove me wrong, but I'm not sure what tactics he actually wants to play. If you look at the teams directly below us, i.e. Luxembourg, Armenia, Estonia they actually make an effort to play the ball, not this bizzaro hoofball which worked at u14.

Is McClean not suspended? And McGeady is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Given going to cost us a substitution.

He should never have started.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Stop counting out the German corners please George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Don't know how you've had the time to watch the match after typing that long-winded shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In Scotland...
    Krychowiak powers away from Scott Brown down the left and wins a corner. He's some player. Not Scott Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

why aren't we using two of our above average wingers in McClean and McGeady?
    McClean is suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Given injured ? Possibly old age ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Germany take forever to take corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd love to see us go 1 up and continue our fluid passing game. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

They are giving Boateng too much time to pick out passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Who else would you play there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How many corners is that now George :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Germany take forever to take corners.

Which is good for us as it winds the clock down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't often use the term defensive master-class but this has been a defensive master-class from Éire South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You're watching a different game to most of us I dare say. We have defended well,passed the ball at times but we go wrong when we lump as I've already said before the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

They're a way better then us, we've got injuries aswell. I don't know what you were expecting.

Robbie will on as soon as he finishes breastfeeding the babby :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

**** sake, we can actually play when we try. Just kwwp the ball have some courage out there

zefer wrote: »
    too many hoofs from given, must have hurt himself...

Hoof is german for pass. He is confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ozil should have scored there.

Given off now or he will cost us something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Given injured ? Possibly old age ?

It's the wear and tear from hoofing the ball up the field so much.

We are giving them WAY too much space on the right hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is automatic qualification possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Given's distribution has been shocking. Easy passes have been on and he's been lumping it. Most the lads seem to have the right idea, there's no reason why we can't keep the ball a bit more.

QUOTE=jaykay74;97310085]Given injured ? Possibly old age ?[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

That's shay gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

You would wonder why the players kept passing back to Given with that dodgy leg

No, its a distant dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If Ireland wins today then definitely, if not it's technically possible but unlikely.
    Also depends if Poland win or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Packie Bonner will probably come on now.

Given off
    Hipster INjury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully he will retire now from international football.

Bizzare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Richard 'Mark Knopfler' Keogh.

Geez, I thought for a second they were putting up screens around Given :eek:

• Advertisement

Great we basically don't have a goalie now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Randolph instead of Forde ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

David Forde must be in the same bad books as Shane Long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Cowardly football from Ireland thus far.

Darren Randolph in ahead of someone who has played well and done well on the bug occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Randolph on. :confused: Did Ford get off with O'Neills daughter or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

**** it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nib wrote: »
    Packie Bonner will probably come on now.
    He would if they had a shirt big enough for him.

Randolph done alright for West Ham this season, prefer him over Forde tbh.

Goal Scotland.

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    If Ireland wins today then definitely, if not it's technically possible but unlikely.
    Also depends if Poland win or not.

If Ireland draw and ScotishLand lose then we would have a high probability to qualify .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement