Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl food quality

Options
  • 05-10-2015 5:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭

Do you trust that their goods are quality produce?

Well I don't...in the last few weeks this is what has been my experience.

1. A Chicken product in date, which grew white spores on it whilw in the fridge.
    1st photo.

2. Can of vegetable soup with a maggot or something in it.
    2nd photo.

3. A peppered steak, so covered in stringy gristle and fat, only a quarter could be eaten, the package had two steaks...the bad one was cleverly packaged behind the product sticker.
    3rd photo.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Well, you get what you pay for I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Well, you get what you pay for I suppose.

Even if it was free...it shouldn't have bacteria and maggots

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Aldi is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I shop there all the time and have never had a quality issue. Some people are just "unlucky" I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is there any proof that the produce is from Lidl?

I've never had a problem myself. Love their stuff.

The chicken could have gone off due to bad storage. The fly could have flown in the window and landed in the soup. Woops. And the peppered steak looks like bacon to me.

I hope you brought it all back the next day and made a complaint.

• Advertisement

Is there any proof that the produce is from Lidl?

The chicken could have gone off due to bad storage. The fly could have flown in the window and landed in the soup. Woops. And the peppered steak looks like bacon to me.

Do you work for Lidl or something?
    Why are you making stupid excuses for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mr.Carter wrote: »

Let's just we are sceptical about your claims, what was the brand of soup, and how do you expect them to inspect every can produced?

Let's just we are sceptical about your claims

Well Lidl were not, I got a reply from them, but they didn't explain what the spores were on the chicken and didn't reply about the insect at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You seem to be extraordinarily unlucky with your purchases. Have had the odd stringy steak from LIDL but in general I find the quality of their stuff very good.

Let's just we are sceptical about your claims, what was the brand of soup, and how do you expect them to inspect every can produced?

Lidl....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please treat other posters civilly.

dudara

Does a person always photograph their packaged food before cooking it?

I don't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I don't anyway.

Maybe he was about to cook the meat and poultry and noticed it? Then took photographs

Maybe he was about to cook the meat and poultry and noticed it? Then took photographs

Why not just bring it straight back to the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I've been shopping in Lidl for years and I've always found their food quality excellent.

For what its worth, I've found a snail in a bag of peas from Tesco (the HSE or the Food Standards Authority - I can't remember which, took a case against them). And I've had issues with cheese bought from Dunnes, well in date, being very mouldy. I also had meat issues in Dunnes because of the very thing you mention: poor quality meat covered by good quality meat. I also had issues with another supermarket.

I almost always buy my meat from a butcher these days, because I've seen the way customers treat food in supermarkets: putting fresh meat into their trollies, wandering around the supermarket with their child stamping on the food and then leaving it back because they don't want it. So many people think its quite ok for their little darlings to jump around in a trolly with their dirty shoes. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I had tiny mites or insects or something living running around a box of muesli I got from lidl probably killed about 20 of them they actually look like specks in the cardboard box (inside) of course lidl fobbed me off despite me sending the video proof of the purchase the packaging and one of the little blighters scurrying around the box, first they will tell you they are gonna check with their supplier then they will send you a poxy 5 or 10 euro voucher thinking that this will make everything ok, i have not spent a cent in Lidl since the incident and I never will ever again. Their loss not mine. I gave the vouchers away, before someone asks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 jimneill

do most of my shopping in there. some products are as good as the real thing and some arent. but you get used to it and save a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Why not just bring it straight back to the shop!

Because bringing it back to the Lidl will only get him a refund and maybe a gift voucher. The food will only end up in the bin.

By posting it online people who read this thread will remember to check meat in Lidl before they purchase it or cook it. Bad press for Lidl who will be publicly shamed and will have to do better sourcing/storing meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

3. A peppered steak, so covered in stringy gristle and fat, only a quarter could be eaten, the package had two steaks...the bad one was cleverly packaged behind the product sticker.
    3rd photo.

Lidl....

Liffey maybe ?
    Liffey Meats MPQAS 049 8545300 Ballyjamesduff Cavan IE 325 Beef:
    Slaughtering,Cutting,Further Processing,Retail Packing

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/quality/Pages/AllCertifiedQAMembers.aspx

Well there is still no actual proof that the food was bad at all.

All we see is packaging and a bacon like piece of meat, and a bowl of soup with a "thing" on the edge that could have got into it in the kitchen!

I'm all for showing up dodgy practises, but I don't think this OP is adequately proving that Lidl produce is a health and safety issue.

Should have gone to the Food Safety quango with the stuff. They seem to be able to shut down restaurants overnight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

2. Can of vegetable soup with a maggot or something in it.
    2nd photo........

it's just one - probably died of loneliness

the "official" limits on added extras in your food is higher than you'd think :

( USA one ......... European one is harder to find )
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm

Tomato Puree
    Drosophila fly
    (AOAC 955.46)

Average of 20 or more fly eggs per 100 grams
    OR
    10 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 100 grams
    OR
    2 or more maggots per 100 grams in a minimum of 12 subsamples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bicycle wrote: »
    IFor what its worth, I've found a snail in a bag of peas from Tesco (the HSE or the Food Standards Authority - I can't remember which, took a case against them).

I'd be surprised if a case was brought against them. They would follow it up alright, but wouldn't bring them to court over it as a snail in peas mostly happened at source rather than in store. Unless somehow it did happen in store because of their negligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

The quality of food in supermarkets has never been better.

I choose to shop a lot in Aldi, because in the early years Lidl sold mostly european food not to my taste. They then had to change the products to suit the Irish market, because only foreign nations shopped there because they were familiar with the food.

Personally, any complaint I have, I go back to the source, everyone knows you tell one person about good quality but ten about bad quality. I firmly believe you need to make an official complaint.

I also believe you get what you at for, Not mites or insects, but I tend to buy my meat from a butcher with his own abattoir, if it's good I tell him, if it turs out bad I tell him, but I check it before he bags it, I know what I get.

Any store can have a problem,

It's how they deal with it that differentiates the men from the boys,

I also think asking peoples opinions on a public forum, you are not always going to get the answers you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Buy your meat from a butcher not a supermarket.

I don't anyway.

Ok for the simple folk...
    1. Chicken, I see the spores before I open it, take a photo and return it...with a complaint
    2. My child sees this bug in her soup...it doesn't have wings and looks like a maggot, I take a photo and make a complaint.
    3. When I open the pack of steaks up, one looks bad, I cut it up and I see it is a "poor" quality steak and probably shouldn't have been put in the packet...so they hide it behind the wrapper to fool the customer. I photograph it because I'm getting well sick of shìtè product from Lidl lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

1. Chicken, I see the spores before I open it, take a photo and return it...with a complaint
    2. My child sees this bug in her soup...it doesn't have wings and looks like a maggot, I take a photo and make a complaint.
    3. When I open the pack of steaks up, one looks bad, I cut it up and I see it is a "poor" quality steak and probably shouldn't have been put in the packet...so they hide it behind the wrapper to fool the customer. I photograph it because I'm getting well sick of shìtè product from Lidl lately.

Starting to wish you had eaten the chicken.

Well there is still no actual proof that the food was bad at all.

All we see is packaging and a bacon like piece of meat, and a bowl of soup with a "thing" on the edge that could have got into it in the kitchen!

I'm all for showing up dodgy practises, but I don't think this OP is adequately proving that Lidl produce is a health and safety issue.

Should have gone to the Food Safety quango with the stuff. They seem to be able to shut down restaurants overnight!

Would you eat chicken with spores on it?

Btw...it not bacon, it's uncooked steak.

Starting to wish you had eaten the chicken.

Well some of you are not able to think very well, its like you would even struggle with....painting a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well some of you are not able to think very well, its like you would even struggle with....painting a wall.
    It's not as if you weren't warned before to be civil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Stop purchasing processed food dude. They do great healthy food options in there. If you want meat or chicken then the best bet is to go to the meat counter and get it as fresh as possible, a nice lean cut. Packaged processed foods... Never. Yock and yank/rank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement