Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl food quality

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

I do mostly buy from the butcher.

Anyhow, point of thread was to highlight some quality issues with lidl, and their poor CC...job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    I do mostly buy from the butcher.

Anyhow, point of thread was to highlight some quality issues with lidl, and their poor CC...job done.

Fair enough op. I shop there twice a week and never had a problem with their food. well if as you say that the processed food is dodgy I would contact their customer support and explain these problems while giving the location of said Lidl store and I'm sure they will get a visit from their quality control personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

lukesmom wrote: »
    Buy your meat from a butcher not a supermarket.

who buys it from rangeland like the super market does ..... errr

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if a case was brought against them. They would follow it up alright, but wouldn't bring them to court over it as a snail in peas mostly happened at source rather than in store. Unless somehow it did happen in store because of their negligence?

Well it was brought to court - in Limerick. In the summer of 1992. It was a Tesco Own brand.

I was in court to see the case, but the case was between the HSE or FSA (as stated I can't remember which) and Tesco so I wasn't directly involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Amazing really,I have shopped in Lidl since they arrived here and have never had a quality issue.In fact i would say their products are streets ahead of other multiples own brand products and a lot of "branded products".Really incredible.

• Advertisement

magentis wrote: »
    Amazing really,I have shopped in Lidl since they arrived here and have never had a quality issue.In fact i would say their products are streets ahead of other multiples own brand products and a lot of "branded products".Really incredible.

id agree too , I only wish they returned to the great german foods when they first arrived, I was so disappointed to see them switch to English bacon etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BoatMad wrote: »
    who buys it from rangeland like the super market does ..... errr

Not mine. Local producers throughout. Why make unfounded assertions like that?

Not mine. Local producers throughout. Why make unfounded assertions like that?

there are very few abattoirs outside the main slaughtering houses. most butchers have their animals killed in the large slathering houses

many just buy whole sides and carve them up

lot of smoke and mirrors in the food industry, I used to write kill hall software !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've been shopping in Lidl/Aldi for years and haven't had any issue.

Its like everywhere, watch the dates on products.

I buy some of their meat and poultry and the rest of it from my local craft butcher(he's not perfect either )

there are very few abattoirs outside the main slaughtering houses. most butchers have their animals killed in the large slathering houses

many just buy whole sides and carve them up

lot of smoke and mirrors in the food industry, I used to write kill hall software !

One word; trace-ability.

I know the farmers and butchers concerned. You are making completely unfounded comments.

Substitute some for most and you may just have a glimmer of truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Padgehunting

I would never buy my meat from ither lidl or Aldi or tesco ither I'm all wit the meat in Supervalu and some of dunnes Meat also have never had any issues and also I'm suporting more Irish jobs

One word; trace-ability.

I know the farmers and butchers concerned. You are making completely unfounded comments.

Substitute some for most and you may just have a glimmer of truth.

traceability is maintained in all kill halls irrespective of customer, be it butcher or supermarket.

personally having seen the standard the majors maintain for food, they are almost singlehandedly responsible for dragging food quality into the 21st century. small independent butchers have little or no say in modern regulations.

Ill not disclose any trade secrets here, but I remain sufficiently in the know , to question the value of independent retailers over supermarkets. small retailers bring personal service , non standard goods and a friendlier atmosphere, but they have no real access to any better food

average meat in a supermarket is similar to average meat in a butcher, quality costs irrespective

You are making completely unfounded comments.

for example , I have witnessed fruit and vegetables that fell outside a multiples delivery acceptance citeria , ( ferry delays ) , then transferred to vans and sold in to wholesale fruit and veg markets , bought by "artisan" retailers and placed in fancy wicker baskets

Northing wrong with the food , just theres a whole lot of " marketing " going on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

What are Lidl pumping into the air? I think some of you have been brainwashed into thinking every single thing is perfect from them.

My dad (retired enviromental health officer) refuses to set foot inside the local Lidl.

Poor hygine standards he says..

dubscottie wrote: »
    What are Lidl pumping into the air? I think some of you have been brainwashed into thinking every single thing is perfect from them.

My dad (retired enviromental health officer) refuses to set foot inside the local Lidl.

my dad was a Chief Environmental Officer , wouldn't touch prepared shellfish, aka mussels , crab, etc, being eating it all my life , not an issue

most health issues for EHOs are related to catering establishments, very little involves supermarkets

been in every kill hall and food processing plant on this island, still eating meat and chicken !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Because bringing it back to the Lidl will only get him a refund and maybe a gift voucher. The food will only end up in the bin.

By posting it online people who read this thread will remember to check meat in Lidl before they purchase it or cook it. Bad press for Lidl who will be publicly shamed and will have to do better sourcing/storing meat.

Op could of course do both.
    I have never had an issue with Lidl or Aldi food products
    They certainly shook up the retail grocery trade to benefit the consumer.
    Not all people are happy about that.

dubscottie wrote: »

I've seen worse standards in the big multiples.

My uncle was a butcher and always said never buy fresh meat in cellophane;)

I've seen worse standards in the big multiples.

My uncle was a butcher and always said never buy fresh meat in cellophane;)

awful lot of cellophane in butchers these days

Not where I go :)

Not where I go :)

avoid the ones with sawdust on the floor , harbours all sorts of nasties

• Advertisement

Ah sawdust
    Not seen that on floors in a long time.....the memories ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Have you been sitting on these photos for over a month?

Neither where I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I live beside aldi and lidl in rathmines. Shopping there few times a week for four years. No issues.

One product faulty, okay. Two suspicious, three? At the same time?

I for one dont believe you.

The bug in the soup looks like a common kitchen pest and could have been in your house. The chicken may be a problem with your fridge. The steak is a problem with buying cheap prepacked meats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I bought a box of sweets from Harrods once. They were rank. Must be a quality issue rather than simple bad luck.

Cleverly packaged - lol - where do people think this up. Yeah some lad in a meat processing plant was MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I shall distribute this steak and earn my monthly bonus of.... 1 Million dollars. Crap slice of meat got through the net is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

The bug in the soup looks like a common kitchen pest and could have been in your house. The chicken may be a problem with your fridge. The steak is a problem with buying cheap prepacked meats.

What a silly post....
    I wouldn't like to visit your kitchen...mine does not have any "common" insects, a maggot=rotten food.
    Nothing wrong with fridge.
    So, poor meat quality is caused by prepacking...was it ok before it was packed.

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    What a silly post....
    I wouldn't like to visit your kitchen...mine does not have any "common" insects, a maggot=rotten food.
    Nothing wrong with fridge.
    So, poor meat quality is caused by prepacking...was it ok before it was packed.

Ok, I don't have them in my kitchen but through my previous work I have seen many of them. Silly??? I'm simply putting some possible causes out there.
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? Poor quality meat is often prepacked and of course was not ok before packing. A waste of time trying to discuss with you obviously. As a civil answer counts for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I would never buy my meat from ither lidl or Aldi or tesco ither I'm all wit the meat in Supervalu and some of dunnes Meat also have never had any issues and also I'm suporting more Irish jobs

Eh? You know literally 2/3 companies process a majority of Irish meat. There is a handful of massive slaughter houses in Ireland. Aldi steaks come from the same factory as superquinn ones used to come from. There might be different grades of meat. But just because you are paying 20% more in SuperValu doesn't mean you getting a superior product. Lidls cooked prepared chicken is green hill food. It's excellent quality.

Lidl and aldi buy a huge amount of Irish produce now. Just because you are getting better value in them. Doesn't mean you aren't supporting Irish jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Bicycle wrote: »
    Well it was brought to court - in Limerick. In the summer of 1992. It was a Tesco Own brand.

I was in court to see the case, but the case was between the HSE or FSA (as stated I can't remember which) and Tesco so I wasn't directly involved.

Tesco didn't arrive in Ireland until 1997.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement