Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community CCTV systems

Options
  • 05-10-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am based in a rural area in midlands. Currently part of a research group assessing viability of a community CCTV system for our area (large parish). Echoing many other such areas we have had an unfortunate increase in crime (burglaries) over past 3-4 years.

I would be grateful to hear opinion experiences for anyone who may taken part in such a project to date be it from community members who sought it/campaigned for it or even from technicians who may have been involved in fitting such systems. Some of the feed back subject areas I would be interested in hearing from are:

a. Any Pitfalls encountered
    b. Planning considerations(financial/ siting) did you opt for high end or low cost solution?
    c. Has the system had an impact (i.e been worth it)
    d.Lessons learned (if any), would you do anything different.
    Or any other item that needs to be highlighted.

As this type of project requires significant financial investment (especially for a small rural community) we really need to see is this worth pursuing.

Again any replies appreciated, you can PM if you don't want to discuss on thread.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have a map or link to the areas you would be looking for covered.
    This could be do with good quality IP cameras which can take in a large area and a lot of detail with each camera.
    We find this type of application more beneficial compared to PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) cameras which are usually looking in the wrong direction when something happens.
    Would wireless links be an option are there many high building around?
    Getting everyone together at the same time is the key here & will save a lot of running & bouncing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 recce_one

Koolkid
    Thanks for your input. The area is approx 10km +/- north to south, approx 8km east to west;
    Main area of parish is central and elevated. Other partly hilly areas in the area with some small patches of forestry, possibly cause issues for networked system? (Line of sight?).

There is a good road network, primary; 2nd and 3rd class rds which lead to some main national routes, these we seek to cover potentially.

It terms of solutions obviously budget is main issue, if it does go ahead i think a good quality system is key as you need to have imagery than can be actioned on if required. A static pole mounted system is whats being banded. They are in use in other communities, again if anyone had experience we would love to hear them.

In terms of access and storage I understand some schemes have central storage of imagery from network feed others go with on board storage ( self contained).
    I would be keen to hear access control schemes have in place i.e who has authority to access footage, i am aware of surrounding data protection issues. I would like to know how this fares out in practice.

Again key point is, is it worth it? Is it just a ' cozy blanket' making people feel safe or does it work, i have been reading some research from UK systems which were interesting.

Again any input appreciated.
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Here's a thought that may simplify it down a lot. Install smaller recorders with 1 or 2 good quality cameras (3-5MP) in various business locations & connect to broadband locally.
    From a central point to can then install multi site software on a PC the can view them all & pull down & back up footage when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 recce_one

KoolKid wrote: »
    Here's a thought that may simplify it down a lot. Install smaller recorders with 1 or 2 good quality cameras (3-5MP) in various business locations & connect to broadband locally.
    From a central point to can then install multi site software on a PC the can view them all & pull down & back up footage when needed.

Thanks for your replies again.

Another question I would ask for anyone who has been involved in such projects. Did you go with a contactor to survey, and install from start to finish or did you employ local help i.e if poles needed installation did you get volunteers to get the ground works complete and employ a cctv company to install cameras/ network etc as required.

That would cut costs I imagine. Again in small communities budget is a key consideration.

Thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

recce_one wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies again.

Another question I would ask for anyone who has been involved in such projects. Did you go with a contactor to survey, and install from start to finish or did you employ local help i.e if poles needed installation did you get volunteers to get the ground works complete and employ a cctv company to install cameras/ network etc as required.

That would cut costs I imagine. Again in small communities budget is a key consideration.

Thanks again,

Usually CCTV installers would get other contractors to carry out the civil works and stand poles etc, certainly i am sure no contractor would oppose a situation whereby a community group could do all the donkey work etc and the CCTV installer could do the installation of the equipment, terminations and commissioning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement