Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Heating

Options
  • 05-10-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice. I am in the middle of building my home.
    I have planned for the following in the house
    1) PV panels with a system that directs excess electricity to the hot water.
    2) Solid Fuel Stove with back boiler
    3) Oil Central heating.

I was talking to the plumber at the weekend and he is concerned about the hot water being "open" or "closed" systems. The oil and PV would be closed but solid fuel cannot be closed.

Has anyone else done this, what are the issues that I could have in the future. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nozzy wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice. I am in the middle of building my home.
    I have planned for the following in the house
    1) PV panels with a system that directs excess electricity to the hot water.
    2) Solid Fuel Stove with back boiler
    3) Oil Central heating.

I was talking to the plumber at the weekend and he is concerned about the hot water being "open" or "closed" systems. The oil and PV would be closed but solid fuel cannot be closed.

Has anyone else done this, what are the issues that I could have in the future. Any recommendations?

It'd be much simpler just to leave the entire system open vented. You CANNOT Join a solid fuel boiler to a pressurised cylinder and you also cannot join a solid fuel boiler to a pressurised heating system.
    It'd be much simpler and safer to leave it all open vented

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nozzy

Thanks, in terms of the pressurised cylinder. Does that have any impact on the PV panels operating effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nozzy wrote: »
    Thanks, in terms of the pressurised cylinder. Does that have any impact on the PV panels operating effectively?

No. It's ok to join pv to a pressurised cylinder as far as I know. But that's not an option for you as you've solid fuel too.

Advertisement