Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel placement

Options
  • 05-10-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any restrictions on where you can legally place a polytunnel? Right up next to the property line? Right alongside a building?

Definitely thinking of getting one, now need to figure out where it can go on the property.

Also, for those of you that heat your polytunnels, how do you heat them? What temp can you maintain in the winter?

Thanks much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

What size are you thinking of getting? Unless it's a monster there shouldn't be an issue with neighbours etc. It's considered a temporary structure.
    Start with aspect ie. how it will face the sun, and see if East - West will fit your land.
    People generally don't heat tunnels. Consider a small structure inside the tunnel. What do you want to grow over winter that you need heat for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I live on the Dingle peninsula. Ambient wind is about 10 mph (16kmh), typical storm hits 20-25 mph. The wind has pretty much done in everything we've tried to grow - kale, raspberries, blackcurrant, ornamental trees. It's ocean wind and very drying. Neighbors have polytunnels and are very successful with them.

We'd like our tunnel along the side of the house, it won't be huge, but big enough to walk around in, have a few tables, etc. I'm thinking around 12 feet wide and 20-30 feet long. It'll get plenty of sun, if the sun's in the sky its pretty sunny here, of course this year a clear day's been a rare thing. No issue with trees (no trees) or anything shading it out, this is farmland that's had houses planted in it :)

We eat a lot of vegetables, actually get funny looks at the local farmers market when we buy them out :) Want to have the basics year round - kale, chard, courgettes, bell peppers, broccoli. Would like to get tomatoes going and hot peppers, too

Any precautions with regard to the wind? It can really get gusty. Strap it down somehow? Neighbors that have polytunnels don't seem to have done anything special, but you never know...

Thanks!

No you don't need to strap a tunnel down. The foundation tubes will either be anchored in concrete footings or else bolted to a base rail which itself will be somehow bolted to foundation tubes in concrete. The alternative to using concrete is to ram the tubes into the ground maybe 1 meter deep.
    Here's my DIY version, still standing strong 4 years later. Don't worry about wind. Just make sure the doors are shut securely during windy weather or it will be blown apart ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74134761

This lady's website is fantastic ...
    http://nickykylegardening.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've been looking at that website for awhile already, amazing her tunnel looks better than many public gardens I've seen.

Does one need planning permission to put one up? I looked on the local (kery county council) website, and they listed greenhouses that are less than 25 sq. m. as exempt, but no mention of polytunnels.

Thanks for all the info and links.

I can't quote regs but to the best of my knowledge you don't. Certainly not for the size you are talking about. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Usually no concrete In a simple tunnel - the steel gets driven into the soil - and it's the edge of the plastic which gets buried that weighs down the whole thing -
    Maybe if your site is very exposed- or you're putting in a side rail system you'd use concrete - but if it's windy you 'll need a lot.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement