Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planting lupins from Seeds

Options
  • 05-10-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have a packet of lupin seeds.... is there any point doing anything with them now?
    They say not to plant until February, but I wondered if I put them in pots in the glass house would I be more likely to have blooming plants next spring? I've read a few conflicting articles.... one suggested planting them direct in the ground in September.

I'm confused, to say the least!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I planted mine in Autumn before (directly in the ground) and got poor results. A lot of them rotted in the wet over winter.

Under glass you may not have that problem though, so I'd say give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 OscarKane

A favorite spring-time activity, growing lupine provides flower gardeners with a wide and brilliant array of colors. Plants have stiff, erect flower spikes of 1-4 feet that emerge from horizontal foliage.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

So I've planted these seeds today into little pots. I have them in one of those small plastic greenhouses in the back yard.... is that I good spot for them, or should I have them indoors still?

(This is the first thing i've ever tried to grow from seed!)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yeah, it sounds okay. A few adv's. of having them indoors would be: a late frost won't zap the young seedlings; easier to water/keep moist and they won't be blown away by any gales - I lost a lot of stuff when 2 of those things were sent flying one wild day.
    Germination will take up to 3 weeks and not all will come, so be patient...and don't give up it they die.

Thanks, I put two seeds in every pot, so hopefully i get some up! I should be ok from the frost, I'm near the sea in dublin. Wind is another story though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

FYI they won't flower until next year. Surprised no one mentioned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

FYI they won't flower until next year. Surprised no one mentioned that.

thats not strictly true, it depends on the type, sow them early enough and yes they will flower the same year.

https://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Festival-Mixed-Lupin-Seeds-Mr-Fothergill's-25450.html#SID=391

http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/shrub/lupin.php

I grow mine in pots, collect the seed and then resow every 2 years as they dont last very long

Sounds like you have it done right, good luck, for me they have been bullet proof

Other easy ones to try
    Sweet peas
    Aquilegia
    Nigella (Love in A Mist)
    Nasturtium

good luck!

I had hoped a couple might last bloom last year.... I've a couple I planted last year from pots, so hopefully they come again. One is looking fairly dead though. The seeds i planted were "Russel Mix"

I tried sweet pea last year in a big pot growing up a trellis, but it didn't really perform. I've planted some nasturtium seeds this weekend also, with the hope they'll replace the sweet pea this year. And I've also sown some aubrieta seed.

I'll have to look up the other two you mentioned.... will give anything a try at the moment, its my first go at seeds, and only my second year gardening really!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

tmq wrote: »
    I had hoped a couple might last bloom last year.... I've a couple I planted last year from pots, so hopefully they come again. One is looking fairly dead though. The seeds i planted were "Russel Mix"

I tried sweet pea last year in a big pot growing up a trellis, but it didn't really perform. I've planted some nasturtium seeds this weekend also, with the hope they'll replace the sweet pea this year. And I've also sown some aubrieta seed.

I'll have to look up the other two you mentioned.... will give anything a try at the moment, its my first go at seeds, and only my second year gardening really!

nasturtium's really are bullet proof. Yep Russel Mix probably wont flower this year, anything with "Russell" usually doesn't but you will have them for next year.

Advertisement