Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Bulbs and suitable lamp holders

Options
  • 05-10-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Was removing an led bulb today and couldn't believe the heat off the base.

Now discovered this.
    You probably know that LED bulbs run dramatically cooler than their incandescent cousins, but that doesn't mean they don't produce heat. LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life.

And therein lies the problem: the bulb needs a way to dissipate the heat. If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

To replace a bog standard pendant lamp holder

21rJa4CeO5L._AA160_.jpg

to one suitable for a led what type do I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most would be gu10 type with a bakelite type holder.

Yes they do get hot as on their board they have little heat sincs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Most would be gu10 type with a bakelite type holder.

Yes they do get hot as on their board they have little heat sincs

I have all B22 fittings so I'll stick with them. If I could get a few shade holder skirts like in pic but without the base, looks like a good solution for heat dissipation.
    Being googling around for hours and no joy.:D

$_57.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think what you linked to is saying is the fact that it's enclosed in a bulkhead fitting etc is the issue rather than the lamp fitting itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP I don't understand your post.

Do you have enclosed fittings? There are no enclosed fitting in the pictures you provided

The pendant you posted about originally is about as open ad you can get

Stoner wrote: »
    OP I don't understand your post.

Do you have enclosed fittings? There are no enclosed fitting in the pictures you provided

The pendant you posted about originally is about as open ad you can get

21rJa4CeO5L._AA160_.jpg
    I was regarding this as an enclosed fitting, because when the bulb is in it, there is little or no gap for heat to disperse quickly.

I thought that this was the type that was being referred to here.
    If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

231622609alt5?$prod_main$

this is the sort of thing they're talking about when they say enclosed

ooops got that soo wrong, well its allowed i'm nearly 90 after all:D

Using a T2 (100W rated) pendant holder, what heat wise would be the equivalent max led bulb that should be used. 11,13, or even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

danjo-xx wrote:
    Using a T2 (100W rated) pendant holder, what heat wise would be the equivalent max led bulb that should be used. 11,13, or even higher.

Well danjo it does not really equate to that. Either from a light output to watt range nor is there what I think you are looking for, a heat loss comparison .

However heat is also measured in watts.

So
    If you consider that a 10W led lamp, it wont produce 50 watts of heat. It will use 10watts of power split between waste heat and providing light.

The heat will leave from leave the lamp and the holder.

You will find that the led range you will use will be between 8 and 15 watts.

Advertisement