Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comeback on tyres?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Next time we have torrential rain during the winter, I must remember to go and fit my summer tyres........ :)

You need to have a look at that - http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=532

On average last winter we had temperatures just 1.6 degrees below the imaginary 7 degree mark. That's not Winter, definitely not the winter conditions cold weather tyres are designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coupequattro

VeVeX wrote: »
    You need to have a look at that - http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=532

On average last winter we had temperatures just 1.6 degrees below the imaginary 7 degree mark. That's not Winter, definitely not the winter conditions cold weather tyres are designed for.

The 7 degrees is not a figure that I came up with, the tyre manufacturers quote that. Have a look online if you don't believe me.

5.4 degrees C is pretty wintry by my standards. ( 7 - 1.6 ) Fancy hanging around in a T shirt for a few hours in 5.4 degrees? Bear in mind that a domestic fridge will normally operate at 3-4 degrees.

Winter tyres are not just for snow / slush / ice, they are for cold temperature conditions too. Remember that wet conditions lower the temperature of the the tyre, and if you are running Summer tyres in cold conditions, then the grip will be considerably less than what they would produce in warm summer conditions. You can get well below 7 degrees in Ireland during the summer, so there is an argument that you should just use All-Season tyres, and forget about Summer tyres altogether.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

My own experience of one set of winter tyres was that they were far superior to summer tyres in wet conditions, in both summer and particularly winter conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Here's a review of the tyres in question....... Which apparantly are a Summer tyre, so maybe not for winter use....

Please, continue trying to find any other reason (which affects no other decent tyres) for them being shíte apart from the blatantly obvious one. :pac:

Please, continue trying to find any other reason (which affects no other decent tyres) for them being shíte apart from the blatantly obvious one. :pac:

There is that, they could just be a super shíte tyre.... But you should still check the details on the tyre to make sure that you haven't been sold a tyre for use in the middle east etc..... (which would be a much harder rubber, and therefore not perform well in Ireland), which would allow you to force yer mans arm about a return......
    I have 4 "budget" tyres on my VW T5, absolutely fine, and have been to Spain and back recently, through hot, cold and very wet weather, and we were pulling a trailer with a rally car on the back too....

2 x Kormoran on the front (Stomil Olsztyn, Poland)
    2 x Victorun at the rear (Qingdao Victor Tire Co., Ltd)

Cheap as chips, €240 for a full set fitted, and absolutely fine all around.

I have no positive or negative feelings towards the Accelera Alpha tyres, but if they are as bad as you say, you should get them changed for something better, ASAP.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Why 3? Is it this van?

:pac:
    Get out of it!
    Has Botchit & Leggit emblazoned on the side:-)

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you really feel safe driving with tyres that perform like that?

Have actually made up my mind to change them next week, wrote off a car 20 years ago solely down to cheap tyres.

Will check the exact name of them tomorrow and post.

Just checked there, they're Triangle CNTT GLS 195/65/R15 95H TR928 DOT 2V P3 if that makes any sense.

Did you say that these are fitted to a van? If so, what vehicle? Their website is showing these as a car tyre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

That 95H rating might be too low for a van, depending on what the vehicle + load weights are. A friend of mine had awful grip problems on a large MPV due to having too low a rating for the weight of the vehicle - the side walls were deforming, especially when cornering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Or "Ditch finders" as they are also called.

Widow Makers is the other term i believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Get out of it!
    Has Botchit & Leggit emblazoned on the side:-)

I once worked for a related company, Bodge & Scarper. :D

Advertisement