Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticking the box..

Options
  • 06-10-2015 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The last time I did this it didn’t work out too well. Hopefully this time I make it to the start line of my target race. :rolleyes:

Target, as most(all) of you know, is IM Copenhagen. Its 6 weeks since I was in a pool, almost 7 since my last training ride and 5weeks since I ran :eek: . And its over three years since I’ve had a race performance I was completely happy with. So I know theres a hell of a lot of work to do in the next 46 weeks. Since my last training log ended I’ve been a busy boy! Married :rolleyes: , tonsils removed :(, honeymoon :D , relocate to the otherside of the country :pac: , new sh1t job with loads of travel :mad: , a baby boy :D , another new much better job with no travel and better money, and lastly buying a new house :) which we’re either moving into next week or the end of the month :confused: . I’ve tried to race through all of that but I really haven’t performed anywhere close to what I know I can because I haven’t been able to get in the consistent training that’s needed. So fingers and toes are all crossed for life to settle down a little for the next 10 months and I can get some decent training in.

Why log now? I’m not working directly with an overall coach. I have a swim coach who provides the sessions that I do with a group out here. Unfortunately he doesn’t get to see me swim anymore. I have another “coach” who tracks what I’m doing and gives me pointers and I can bounce ideas off him, but no-one giving me a weekly plan to follow and following up that its done. I’m hoping that’s where you guys can help a little. Too many breaks in training due to excessive procrastination and wussing out of the weather in the west. I’ve found it too easy to put-off the long run in particular and never actually getting it done. So please, if you see a gap of a few days (here or on strava) or something I have planned not getting done, please do pull me up on it. So this log is really to keep me more accountable.

This wont be a log of daily updates, nor essay length posts about my weeks training. It’ll be more along the lines of Trigs updates than Dorys or Zicos. But I do intend on updating here at least once a week. Since the Lost Sheep debacle I’ve been on holidays and I’ve been doing a decent amount of Pilates and Yoga as well as seeing a guy about on-going hip/hamstring issues I’ve been having since summer 2014. These are the kind of things I’ve neglected the last few years and really need to keep up so I’ll be mentioning them without going into any detail.

I’m going to be easing very slowly back into training. Plan for the next four weeks is less than 4.5 hours a week SBR and plenty of S&C/house painting to supplement that. 2*30min swims, 2*30min & 1*45min run and a 90min bike each week up to the end of October. I should manage that much anyway ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

And we've started.

30min easy run Monday evening. Was as bad as was expected.

30min swim this morning 4*400 off 7:30. Also as bad as expected. started at 6:28, drifted to 6:38. Very poor but not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Willing to share your IM target?
    Any other race targets or is all focus on Copenhagen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

best piece of advice i can give you for CPH:

get on my shoulder and stick there, we'll get through it together.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good to see the house is nearly through, where did you buy?

Willing to share your IM target?
    Any other race targets or is all focus on Copenhagen?

Kilkee, a half (Cutra/Tri an Mhi/Athlone) and depending on the calendar a few others.

Target is very much dependent on getting the training in, obv.

but..

on the bike by the 60min mark, should be doable.
    On the run by the 6:10 mark. Again, once I get the biking done I see no reason why not. The run is the big unknown for me right now, I've never put a decent 6 months block of running together, so I need to do that before I know what I'm capable of. At my best running shape I would have thought 3:15 was possible, but probably unlikely to go so well at my first IM.

Conditions on the day will play a big part too.

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    best piece of advice i can give you for CPH:

get on my shoulder and stick there, we'll get through it together.

;)

I'm sorry, I dont believe in drafting. :p

catweazle wrote: »
    Good to see the house is nearly through, where did you buy?

Up the hill behind Barna. Truskey

BTH wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I dont believe in drafting. :p

Dear Mr Hare,

I was referring to the Run. Would you like to see my lost sheep finish line pic smart arse?

yours in triathlon

Mr Tortoise

Dear Mr Hare,

I was referring to the Run. Would you like to see my lost sheep finish line pic smart arse?

yours in triathlon

Mr Tortoise

Would you like to see my finisher pic from 2011 when I went sub 5?? (I had originally written down 2012, can't believe it was so long ago)

Just like Liverpool fans, living off the past!!

Up the hill behind Barna. Truskey

Nice and near the golf course ;)

• Advertisement

Would you like to see my finisher pic from 2011 when I went sub 5?? (I had originally written down 2012, can't believe it was so long ago)

sheesh. you try and help a fellow triathlete out and they start leafing through dog eared history books for faded records of long forgotten times.

Nice and near the golf course ;)

Have one eye on retirement!! ;)

sheesh. you try and help a fellow triathlete out and they start leafing through dog eared history books for faded records of long forgotten times.

Just like a Liverpool fan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Strike 1
    Just like a Liverpool fan :p

Strike 2

AKW wrote: »
    Strike 1

Strike 2

and i wouldn't mind but everyone now probably thinks i'm a Liverpool fan

AKW wrote: »
    Strike 1

Strike 2

How many strikes did Brendan get??

and i wouldn't mind but everyone now probably thinks i'm a Liverpool fan

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You going to donegal soon?

b800e61ceccf7ab1bf36e6b124dbbdc9.png

tunney wrote: »
    You going to donegal soon?

b800e61ceccf7ab1bf36e6b124dbbdc9.png

Why we're there no initiatives like this when I was in college??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

book-1-cover.jpg

The 'Ticking the box' title reminded me .... I guess it was either this or the baby grow pic :)

Best of luck with the move, painting, decorating ...etc etc ... :)

I love how my log has already descended into nothing more than ginger bashing. Just cant believe it took until page two. And Mark, as bad as that pic is, it is preferable to the onesie pic. What goes on stag do should stay on stag do.

Tuesday evening I did a little yoga after the little fella was in bed and herself was off at spinning.

Wednesday morning some rehab on the hips/hamstrings.

Wednesday even 45min easy run. 5:12/km avg HR 160 (which is nowhere near easy) and I'm fairly sure I was hitting the wall after 40min. This was brutal but I kept going.

Pilates class later than evening

Thursday morning 30min swim, 16*100 off 1:50. These were all in around 1:35 which is poor enough but I'm not worried about that. Started to tire around half way through so I used the pull buoy for the last 6.

This month is all about getting the body used to exercising again after what was a longer than usual break, so I'm not paying a huge amount of attention to pace or HR, but no harm in documenting them.

• Advertisement

I love how my log has already descended into nothing more than ginger bashing.

Initiation rite to test your willingness to stick to logging training.

I didn't get one and look at the state of my log lately! ;)

Thursday evening I did some rehab/strength work,

Friday morning 30min run, 5:17 pace for 156 avg HR. Atrocious.

Friday evening Hot Yoga class.

Saturday was more rehab/strength

Sunday, 43km cycle @26.75kmph 124avg HR. Nice morning, but sore arse, its been a while.

Sunday evening yoga class.

Monday morning 30min run 5:17 pace for 147 avg HR. Same loop as Friday morning so it looks like a huge improvement, but reckon its a fluke.

Tuesday morning 30min swim 1000m SKPS 50s, then 10*50 off 60 5 swim 5 pull, these were in 45/46.

Eoghan has been sick all weekend, temperature of 38.9 Friday evening, nose running like a tap, he can't sleep because he struggles to breath, so we're both completely wrecked. Temperature back to normal since Sunday eve, but nose not and now we're both coming down with the same thing. Damn creche.

Eoghan has been sick all weekend, temperature of 38.9 Friday evening, nose running like a tap, he can't sleep because he struggles to breath, so we're both completely wrecked. Temperature back to normal since Sunday eve, but nose not and now we're both coming down with the same thing. Damn creche.

Its like reading Tunnys log!

That's exactly what I was thinking as I typed.

All I need now Is a good night out on the piss and a three day hangover.

Except I spell Eoin correctly.

Welcome to the real world :)

Hes living out in the Gaeltacht area now - probably getting some kind of benefit/subsidy for the Irish name!

Hes living out in the Gaeltacht area now - probably getting some kind of benefit/subsidy for the Irish name!

Oh, the choice of spelling is very deliberate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%C3%B3gan_(given_name)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Whatever about Eoin/Eoghan, you can spell Tunney correctly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

All I need now Is a good night out on the piss and a three day hangover.

Then what was all that hot yoga and sore arse post about??? ;)

Advertisement