Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticking the box..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I've done no S&C work at home this week. Its head-colds all round, and Tuesday night I spent the entire night holding the little fella upright so he could sleep meaning I got next to nothing.

Wednesday evening I got in a 30min run along the prom 5:08/km 149avg hr. Shorter than I would have done without a streaming nose and lack of sleep, but probably the sensible option. 60min pilates class after this which I took a little easier than normal.

Did nothing on Thursday. Supposed to be a 30min swim but with the nose running faster than I even had it would have been stupid to swim.

Friday morning another 30min run. Very cold all of a sudden. 5:15 pace for 154 avg hr. Felt great for the first half (the downhill half) but really started to struggle. I'm blaming the headcold.

Eoghan wasn't improving so we bit the bullet on Wednesday and started him on the antibiotics. Would have preferred not to but I was out-voted. On the plus side hes back to sleeping 10-11 hours straight through at night. See what happens when you spell your childs name correctly. :pac: ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    I've done no S&C work at home this week. Its head-colds all round, and Tuesday night I spent the entire night holding the little fella upright so he could sleep meaning I got next to nothing.

This sounds exactly like my week. Its a bugger doing anything with tots.
    Eoghan wasn't improving so we bit the bullet on Wednesday and started him on the antibiotics. Would have preferred not to but I was out-voted. On the plus side hes back to sleeping 10-11 hours straight through at night. See what happens when you spell your childs name correctly. :pac: ;):D

You changed his name by deed poll?

Friday evening was a night out with work that ended with my first visit to a nightclub since a stag do a year ago. Good times and I was delighted to have made the decision to take a day off every weekend until the new year :)

Sunday morning 1:53 on the bike @27kmph very easy 121 avg HR.

Yoga class that evening.

Monday morning a 30min run, my usual route backwards for a bit of variety :) 5:09 pace and avg HR of 146, which is starting to approach properly easy territory as opposed to this unfit easy which is stupid hard and stupid slow.

We're still not sure, but today might be keys day. Living in limbo is great craic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

BTH wrote:
    We're still not sure, but today might be keys day. Living in limbo is great craic

Any joy?

Any joy?

Nope, bank didn't release funds until nearly 5 o'clock so too late at that stage. Keys are with our solicitor in longford which is another logistical problem. Joys of it all

• Advertisement

No training done Tuesday or Wednesday last week and S&C work dropped for the whole week. Also didn't swim as too much going on and wasnt fully over the headcold. We did move house though, so I wasnt exactly slacking.

Thursday evening was a very tired 30min run. 5:06 pace HR154 which is awful.
    Saturday morning a 45 min run 5:12 pace HR 157, more awful.
    Followed that up with a 1:43 bike 27kmph 133 HR, so again HR too high. Lack of fitness.
    Headed for Wexford Saturday afternoon for a stag do, with two very interesting stops along the M50 on my way down.
    Yoga session Sunday evening after I got back.

Glad to get the three runs and one bike in last week with everything thats been going on. Swim suffered but something had to give and probably the sensible decision with the lingering headcold.

New week, 30min run on Monday 5:04 pace 151HR so a nice improvement but still a long way to go. Also some strenght work and rehab work on Monday.
    20min swim this morning which was a real struggle. Real training starts back next week and I'm not going to have much to work with starting off. Sorry Mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Seeing as no-one else asked I will...what was interesting about the 2 stops? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Burger King at Applegreen and Base2Race ?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Seeing as no-one else asked I will...what was interesting about the 2 stops? :pac:
    AKW wrote: »
    Burger King at Applegreen and Base2Race ?

The bearded man is half right. Picked up some trial saddles in B2R, my rump needs more care if its to get through an IM without me chucking the bike in a ditch.

The other stop I will explain to you another time in person, but its very positive in relation to the big target.

The bearded man is half right. Picked up some trial saddles in B2R, my rump needs more care if its to get through an IM without me chucking the bike in a ditch.

The other stop I will explain to you another time in person, but its very positive in relation to the big target.

He met me and signed up to Team Tunney. There we go, the ginger cat is out of the bag.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    He met me and signed up to Team Tunney. There we go, the ginger cat is out of the bag.

I prefer to work with the literate.

its EOGHAN ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Owen

Owen

Maeve

Quickly

Tuesday evening - small bit of rehab
    Wednesday morning - 20min yoga
    Wednesday evening - 45min run which was a real struggle and a dash to the toilet to finish :o 5:18 pace 151 avg hr
    Thursday - Early session with my rehab guy which left me quite sore on Friday
    Saturday morning - 30min 5:05 pace 152 avg HR hilly route out by the new house
    Sunday morning - 60k bike @26.5kmph 124 avg hr
    Sunday evening - Yoga Class

So ends the four weeks of getting my body used to training again. Swim hasnt happened, S&C has been below what I wanted as well. House move obviously a big factor. Run and Bike have gone to plan and at time I feel normal running even if slow. No fitness there but form is hinting at returning. Next four weeks will be easing into some proper weekly hours

Monday morning - rehab
    Monday evening - 35min run 5:03 pace 151 avg HR. Still too high.
    Monday evening - 20min yoga
    Tuesday morning - First swim back for the group. 2500m covered in the hour with lots of chat in-between. Probably the perfect re-introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Curious BTH - is 5:03-5:06 your easy pace? If yes, congrats, I read somewhere Gwen Jorgensen's easy pace is 5:30 for her 33 min 10K. If not, why so many runs above easy pace, especially in a back-to-basics build period?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Curious BTH - is 5:03-5:06 your easy pace? If yes, congrats, I read somewhere Gwen Jorgensen's easy pace is 5:30 for her 33 min 10K. If not, why so many runs above easy pace, especially in a back-to-basics build period?

Up to now I haven't been overly concerned about HR or pace. Just run kinda easy. None of the runs so far have been properly easy. Properly easy is sub 140avg HR. I'm averaging at least 12 beats too high baring a couple of unusual runs. There was a time a couple of years ago when ~138 avg hr gave me 4:45-4:50 pace but I'm miles off that at the moment. Soon I'll starting paying more attention to my HR and probably slow down slightly initially. 5:30 pace is beyond me, as much as someone :rolleyes: would like to see me me run that slow, I just cant do it and feel remotely normal. As it is I look like I'm shuffling, not running, to which gibbo will attest.

I'm not Gwen Jorgensen and there's no shortage of varying definitions of easy, I just know what works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thanks BTH.

We had a post a while ago, I think from Kurt, about how difficult it can be sometimes to really run 'easy' - i.e. slowly and most of us default to a running pace that is somewhere between easy and steady as it seems to make the best momentum. I'm just wondering are we polarising correctly in that case, maybe more of our easy should be really easy and more of our hard should be properly hard?

Alternatively, if we run at tempo most of the time what is the specific downside - longer recovery, higher incidence of injury etc? Interested in some thoughts as I map out the winter.

Thanks BTH.

We had a post a while ago, I think from Kurt, about how difficult it can be sometimes to really run 'easy' - i.e. slowly and most of us default to a running pace that is somewhere between easy and steady as it seems to make the best momentum. I'm just wondering are we polarising correctly in that case, maybe more of our easy should be really easy and more of our hard should be properly hard?

Most triathlete run 30km or so a week.
    10% of 30km is 3km

How many km do you run hard a week?

Thanks BTH.

Alternatively, if we run at tempo most of the time what is the specific downside - longer recovery, higher incidence of injury etc? Interested in some thoughts as I map out the winter.

Running properly easy, as easy you suggested, takes a lot of discipline, focus, patience. Patience is not exactly abundant in a lot of triathletes. It also requires that you push your ego aside, swallow your pride and this is probably the biggest stumbling block for most.

Zico is the only one on here who I have seen running properly easy, he was doing 5:30 pace or slower for easy runs during his Connemara marathon cycle. That's a hell of a lot slower than most would say his race time suggests easy pace should be. He was doing almost no swim or biking. Are his easy runs as slow after that marathon, I'm not so sure (haven't checked though). Many will say that running 20km per week or 30km per week at a properly easy pace is a complete waste of time. Given Tunneys post below he probably sits in that camp. Many very successful and well known coaches will agree with him. I obviously disagree, and there's many well known coaches that agree with me too.

Many ways to skin a cat.

tunney wrote: »
    Most triathlete run 30km or so a week.
    10% of 30km is 3km

How many km do you run hard a week?

While I'm here...........

Tuesday evening a very short strengthening session squeezed in around paint discussions as home
    Wednesday morning more rehab. Left hamstring issue which has plagued me since summer 2014 is almost entirely gone which is great. No restrictions when I run anymore.
    Wednesday evening 60min run, getting much closer to properly easy :D :pac: 5:17 pace 144avg hr.
    Pilates class later on Wednesday evening.
    Swim this morning. 55min, just 1900m and lots of chatting. Getting back into the routine is more important right now that trying to do too much too soon. Tiring very quickly when I swim, which is no surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Ah paint discussions, we are having them at the moment too. I say we, my only input really is to say 'make sure you can get that washable paint so if I mark the wall bringing the bike upstairs I can wipe it off'. I say I, but I'm yet to mark the wall, Laura on the other hand......

Wait for the tester pots, pieces of painted paper stuck all over the walls in your house, trying to figure out where the sun hits and how it affects the lighting in the house. It's all great fun, nearly as much fun as spending 60 euro on 5 litres of paint.

joey100 wrote: »
    Ah paint discussions, we are having them at the moment too. I say we, my only input really is to say 'make sure you can get that washable paint so if I mark the wall bringing the bike upstairs I can wipe it off'. I say I, but I'm yet to mark the wall, Laura on the other hand......

Wait for the tester pots, pieces of painted paper stuck all over the walls in your house, trying to figure out where the sun hits and how it affects the lighting in the house. It's all great fun, nearly as much fun as spending 60 euro on 5 litres of paint.

We have 23 tester pots in the house.

We are only looking to paint four rooms right now. We've so far decided on one colour. It was two, but then that changed.

I need a drink.

I think the important thing is to find what works for you as an individual and go with that. We're all different and have different responses to volume, intensity, etc. Balancing that across 3 sports ain't easy.

We are only looking to paint four rooms right now. We've so far decided on one colour. It was two, but then that changed.

I need a drink.

I never got involved in those discussions. I let the creative one make all the calls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

@pgibbo, when I read your first sentence I thought you were talking about painting his house, was thinking you had gone all Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen (had to look up how to spell that) on us!

Been there, done all that, and ended up back with a couple of good coats of magnoila.

Hard to beat a solid dependable colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Just when this log was starting to become more training related than house related...:D

AKW wrote: »
    Been there, done all that, and ended up back with a couple of good coats of magnoila.

Hard to beat a solid dependable colour :)

I thought you'd have everything painted yellow and black :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    I thought you'd have everything painted yellow and black :pac:

Hahaha will be getting the tester pots out soon enough ;)

• Advertisement

I need a drink.

"Whats cheap and doesn't look like puke David?"
    This?
    "Fine, buy it."

Advertisement