Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticking the box..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I don't often have much to say in a 'home and garden' blog, but as my name was mentioned a few posts back;

During my training for the Connemarathon, my recovery runs looked ridiculously slow, but I was doing some damn bloody hard running as well. But I was running over 100km a week for 5 months. 10% of that gives you a lot more fast kilometres than 10% of 30km. I think that's Tunney's point.

Also I was swimming during this training block. I just didn't log it on boards. But check the SBR table from that year, Dory might have swam more than me from January through to April, but nobody else did. I was going to Interested's twice a week, so you should know, I wasn't taking it easy either.

Training, and "Home and Garden" update (far too wet for the garden)

Thursday evening some rehab work and some very short strength work.
    Friday morning a headtorch led trot round the new area. 35min @ 5:36 pace 147 avg HR, and I met no cars :) very windy and hilly route. Early morning runs are always slow for the effort levels
    Friday evening building Ikea furniture before a 40min 2150m swim, mostly easy 400s
    Saturday morning in the pool with the little lad and my Nephew (and gibbo :rolleyes: ) before 71km spin @27kmph 119 avg hr
    Sunday evening 30min swim 1450m followed by Yoga.

Monday morning rehab work
    Monday lunchtime trot with gibbo (this one was planned!) 45min @5:04 151 avg hr. This was into gale force winds at times, doing well to keep moving forward.
    Tuesday morning swim 60min 2350m we tried to do descending 100s but none of us are fit and it felt like swimming through custard
    Was off work on Tuesday so got Eoghans room painted while waiting for an engineer to come check the phone line. Then got the brothers tax return finished!!
    Wednesday morning rehab work
    Wednesday evening long run 14km @5:09 pace 146 avg HR. Not a bad evening but got soaked for the last 15min or so.
    Followed that up with a pilates class
    Thursday morning solo swim, 2600 in 60min, including a timed 200 to keep the coach happy. 2:49 which is a good 11sec off my best, but not a terrible effort either. The 400 coming over the weekend will not be pretty though, swim stamina is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Only one day a week given to home improvements, you're starting to slack.

• Advertisement

Update...

Friday morning headtorch run 35min @5:15 pace 146avg hr
    Friday evening 55min swim 2.6k with a timed 400 at 5:53. This was miserable, went out hard and the last 250m was awful.

Saturday mountain biking in Ballyhoura. Crash, fractured hand and two broken teeth. Could have been worse. Hospital were very concerned about concussion and my jaw but thankfully the jaw survived and there was no concussion, although I dont know why or how I crashed. Hand elbow jaw and teeth x-rayed on Sat and a cast on my right arm from elbow down for a couple of days. On Monday this was removed and I had the broken teeth capped. Massive swelling and cuts all over but its all improved massively since. Elbow is very badly bruised, knee, hip, thigh, hand and face also bruised. Fractured hand is still sore and tender. One of my teeth that didn't break is a little loose and very sore, while the one beside it has moved a good bit now that the swelling there has gone down.

Add to this the little fella has hand, foot and mouth and hasnt slept all week. Its been an interesting week.

Tuesday and THursday evenings I did a 20 & 30min treadmill run, thats been the total of training this week.

Its been fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Christ!:eek: You poor fecker, that is a shocking read! Hope you're better soon, what rotten luck...

(5:53)

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Christ!:eek: You poor fecker, that is a shocking read! Hope you're better soon, what rotten luck...

To be honest, I'm very lucky. It was very very close to being much much worse. I should manage to get into the pool this weekend. All in all thats a decent result.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    (5:53)

Not bad for a week and a half training, but a long way to go to a 55min swim in Copenhagen

Choosing to take your post as two completely separate comments :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Take it handy coming back, I broke my wrist this time last year and was back training few days later. Came back too quick, done nothing but tire myself out. The body has gone through a big shock (yours sounds a lot bigger than mine!), let it recover properly before you start putting it under pressure through training. The training I done when I was injured had pretty much no impact on my fitness, run times or bike power. They dropped off anyway, just meant I had to take longer to get back into it properly and it took a bit longer to get over the injury.

joey100 wrote: »
    Take it handy coming back, I broke my wrist this time last year and was back training few days later. Came back too quick, done nothing but tire myself out. The body has gone through a big shock (yours sounds a lot bigger than mine!), let it recover properly before you start putting it under pressure through training. The training I done when I was injured had pretty much no impact on my fitness, run times or bike power. They dropped off anyway, just meant I had to take longer to get back into it properly and it took a bit longer to get over the injury.

Good advice Joey, Cheers. I'm lucky its not a full break. I'm lucky its a Metacarpal and not a finger, and that its one of the central ones meaning its supported each side so I dont need much support for it. It is sore though when I do anything with that hand.

I dont intend on doing much "training" on it, but I will continue to swim and run a few times a week, all short and very easy just to keep the feel, more than trying to build any fitness. In particular running. My goal next year, the run is most likely to let me down. Until Jan/Feb I know I need to get in three runs every week, whatever format those runs take. I can't afford a break in my running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Unlucky and lucky at the same time, lucky to avoid concussion, that's a biatch to work your way through. Heal well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. :eek: But more importantly, can you still use your ten key?? ;):)

P.S. Do what you can, but let yourself heal.

Advertisement