Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many names can a person have?

Options
  • 06-10-2015 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a friend who's got 7 names, but she was born in Spain. I only have 3 names (2 christian names and one surname), so I was wondering how many names can a person have under Irish law? I often wondered why I have not been given my mother's maiden surname as well...

If, for example, the Irish state only allows 4 names, and the person already has 4 names before getting married, does that mean, her last name will have to be hyphenated with her spouse's last name?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There is no limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There are basically no laws about names in Ireland. Your name is a matter of fact. What do people call you? That's your name, so.

If you can get people to use 25 different names to refer to you well, great, you have 25 different names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Hello,

I have a friend who's got 7 names, but she was born in Spain. I only have 3 names (2 christian names and one surname), so I was wondering how many names can a person have under Irish law? I often wondered why I have not been given my mother's maiden surname as well...

If, for example, the Irish state only allows 4 names, and the person already has 4 names before getting married, does that mean, her last name will have to be hyphenated with her spouse's last name?

Thanks

Where did you get the notion that there was a limit on the amount of names you can have? My Irish born hubby has 5 Christian names on his birth cert

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Where did you get the notion that there was a limit on the amount of names you can have? My Irish born hubby has 5 Christian names on his birth cert

The Registrars will complain, while there is no limit in law, I think there is a limit in the computer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I only have 3, and everyone I know around here also only have 3 to 4 names. Sometimes 1 or 2 christian names and then the mothers maiden name and lastly the fathers surname. Did not know it was possible to have 5, but thanks for the info, you have unravelled the mystery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement