Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon

Options
  • 06-10-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

@mods: please move if the thread is not in the right forum

My 5 year old fell on her shoulder and complained of severe pain around the collar area. We brought her to VHI switcare. X-ray showed a fractured clavicle (collar bone). We were given a sling and told:
    - plenty of rest for a few days
    - nothing can be done except wait for 4 weeks for the fracture to heal
    - come back in 10 days to see an Orthopaedic Surgeon

I am just worried and want to bring her to a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon just to get her seen, and to get a second opinion. Also, the fall was only from 2 feet and the surface she fell on was not hard. So, I am worried she might be deficient in something and might have brittle bones.

Have any of you had reason to see a Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon? If yes, can I get a few recommendations?

I believe recommendations of this nature are via PMs only (that was the case in dental forum) - so, would be most grateful recommendations via PM.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would you not just bring her to a&e at the local children's hospital? You'll see a consultant orthopaedic doctor as part of the assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Like January said it might be an idea to bring her to children's A&E. There are only a handful of ortho consultants that work with children.

I don't want to give specific names but sticking orthopaedic surgeon Crumlin will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think you can just go in to a hospital insist on an appointment with a peads orthopaedic surgeon. Your GP can refer you. You don't say what part of the country you are in either, so I guess it must be Dublin. ;)

Advertisement