Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish HL question

• 06-10-2015 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just a question, I am going after been offered a place on a HL Irish course as I need Irish, but I can't get an OL course. My level of Irish at LC is foundation level, am I mad to take up this offer? Or with dedication it is achievable, I would just need above d3 or a d3 on the exam, no need for anything above.

What do you good people think?

My level of Irish would be poor/basic.

Another option, is French OL for the LC which I could go along with, but would rather Irish for two reasons, its something I want to try again with dedication and another is the school teaching it is closer to home than the French !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

With Google translate it shouldn't be too hard too pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do I understand you correctly? You would be in a HL Irish class, while the teacher teaches to HL and you sit there with FL Irish? What are you going to do in the class?

I think you might have a chance of making progress in an OL class, particularly with the oral component, but I think it's a big ask for you as well as a dreadful situation for the teacher and the rest of the HL class.

Would you intend taking the OL or the HL exam?

I think the French plan may have more likelihood of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

spurious wrote: »
    Do I understand you correctly? You would be in a HL Irish class, while the teacher teaches to HL and you sit there with FL Irish? What are you going to do in the class?

I think you might have a chance of making progress in an OL class, particularly with the oral component, but I think it's a big ask for you as well as a dreadful situation for the teacher and the rest of the HL class.

Would you intend taking the OL or the HL exam?

I think the French plan may have more likelihood of success.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't follow on with the Irish, it would have been like trying to lift a 500kg weight after just joining the gym. I went with the French, so far so good. It's a small class so learning but also enjoying it !

I couldn't find a OL Irish class that was on when I could attend, hence me going for a HL class.

Advertisement