Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html
    Budget 2016: It was announced that statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks is to be introduced, together with a new Paternity Benefit, in respect of births from September 2016.

So no you won't be able to take the 2 weeks paternity leave but you are entitled to parental leave which is unpaid but can be taken up until the child is 8.

[edit]seamus is right - paternity leave isn't enacted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rekcaks

Bugger! Bad family planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Tell me about it, misses is due 24th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Are people taking it as a given that this will be in? Trying to plan annual leave for the year and would be nice to know if I can count on this entitlement or not......due early October

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Markx wrote: »
    Are people taking it as a given that this will be in? Trying to plan annual leave for the year and would be nice to know if I can count on this entitlement or not......due early October

They can't even form a Government at the moment. If we don't have a second election it's unlikely this legislation will be a priority for a minority Government.

• Advertisement

They can't even form a Government at the moment. If we don't have a second election it's unlikely this legislation will be a priority for a minority Government.

I'm aware of the technicalities of the situation, more wondering if anybody's HR dept has tacitly or otherwise indicated that they would be going along with it in Sept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Markx wrote: »
    I'm aware of the technicalities of the situation, more wondering if anybody's HR dept has tacitly or otherwise indicated that they would be going along with it in Sept.

Mine responded that they will abide by legislation but they won't be paying paternity leave.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Mine responded that they will abide by legislation but they won't be paying paternity leave.

Thanks - I guess that's a reasonable enough line to take.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To be fair they don't pay maternity either so not discriminating as such

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I've a child due early October and am trying to sort time off with the job... What is the current law and is the 2 week thing in yet??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No, it is still 0 days entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No, it is still 0 days entitlement.

Thanks for the update.

It's very disappointing that in 2016, Ireland still has mindset from the last century regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'm hoping my husbands company pays. My own job doesn't pay maternity pay but his does, so I'm hoping they pay the paternity as well.

I'm really hoping it comes in! Due 26.11 - hoping the two weeks plus annual leave will gets us up to and over Christmas

If they pay maternity and then don't pay paternity they are leaving themselves wide open for a discrimination claim unless it is allowed for in the legislation.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If they pay maternity and then don't pay paternity they are leaving themselves wide open for a discrimination claim unless it is allowed for in the legislation.

That's what I figured. Now I hope it comes in!

Beanybabog wrote: »
    That's what I figured. Now I hope it comes in!

They have gone very quiet about it. When you look at the time that was wasted post election and the upcoming summer hols I wouldn't be surprised if this was delayed. They rarely achieve any targets they set for these kinds of issues as there are so many vested interests wanting to give their 2 cents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One good thing out of the recent mention by the gov, company I worked for has rolled out 6 weeks paid paternity leave recently. Previously it was like 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I emailed my local TD about this who forwarded the query on to Leo.

Apparently it's the priority piece of legisation for his dept. and still on track to be in place by Sept.

The way these things go though.. that could change very quickly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Spook80

This is great. We're due October so sooner I see it officially signed in the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Does anyone know if this only applies to babies born after the legislation is enacted in September?
    We're expecting in August.

Good news. A small first step but a significant one in that the government acknowledges that Fathers exist and have a role to play in parenting. Someday we will achieve equality.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this only applies to babies born after the legislation is enacted in September?
    We're expecting in August.

Presumably it is- you'd have to read the legislation but it's unlikely to be retrospective so I assume the child has to be born after its enacted. That said, if your OH works in a company that paying full pay there'll probably be no issue, I imagine larger companies that are going to pay in full will roll out their programmes after the legislation is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Varadaker was on radio this morning and confirmed it will only be for babies born from Sept.

I was thinking while listening to him this morning,that it will suck for people that have Sept babies due that arrive early.
    I really hope that employers top it up so there is no resulting hardship and fathers not being able to take the 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I was thinking while listening to him this morning,that it will suck for people that have Sept babies due that arrive early.
    I really hope that employers top it up so there is no resulting hardship and fathers not being able to take the 2 weeks.

I'd imagine if employers top up maternity leave they'll top up paternity leave. If they don't top up maternity they can't very well top up paternity leave.

That is of course what I meant:)

That is of course what I meant:)

My husbands company pays full maternity so I imagine they'll pay this. I am due 26.11.2016 so with these two weeks please annual leave we hope to get him off from then and over the whole Christmas :D Excellent timing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hilarious how many people on Facebook are complaining about, "How are you supposed to live on that?!". Pure ignorance - mothers are expected to live on it for six months...!

I had a quick scan over the published bill. It's broadly a carbon copy of maternity leave, just with some tweaks. The main bits are;

- Doesn't just apply to biological or married fathers - applies to all co-parents of a mother or adopter.

- Applies to births or adoptions on or after 30th September.

- 4 weeks notification required. The employer cannot cancel the leave or recall the person midway through their leave.

- Can be taken at any time in the first six months' of the child's life.

- You can postpone if you become sick.

- The balance of leave not taken is transferred to your spouse if you die.

Note that this is just the published first draft of the bill. Some aspects might change as it gets debated, but no by much. I'd expect mouth breathers like Ronan Mullen to moan about unmarried and same-sex co-parents being entitled to paternity leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That's interesting regarding the leave applying to edd rather than actual dob- I'd say there'll be a flurry of people with due dates the few days before asking doctors to record them as sept 30th!

Advertisement